Author Topic: 1987 Yamaha Radian 600cc FOR SALE !  (Read 1838 times)

Roadkill

1987 Yamaha Radian 600cc FOR SALE !
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:42:04 pm »
On Ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260665569642&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Taxed until End of March 2011

MoT’ed until 25th June 2011

I brought her just over a year ago as a “winter hack” but instantly fell in love with her and did a mini-resto when the good weather finally arrived at the start of this year as I planned to keep her indefinitely.

Unfortunately circumstances change and I must go back to four-wheeled transport, now, meaning the Radian either sits around taking up space until further notice or is sold to free-up a bit of cash – I’m opting to free-up some cash !

She’s a good little bike – pretty darn nippy around town and can happily hold a solid 120mph (on a closed test-track, of course).  

She’s relatively small so would suit both small and larger riders.  I also found her incredibly comfortable (foot pegs aren’t too far back) and exceedingly well manoeuvrable so she would especially suit a novice rider, too.

As mentioned she had a mini resto over May / June this year.

The items that were covered were :

New Front and Rear Indicators,

New Battery,

New Horn,

New Tax Disc holder,

Professionally recovered seat,

New Clutch Cable,

New Renthal Handlebars

New Number Plate / all rear reflectors replaced,

Fuel Tank cleaned and properly sealed (I’d recommend this to anyone),

Oil Changed, New plugs and Caps (she will also come with a spare set of Caps and spare bulbs)

During the work all body panels were removed and treated to some fresh black paint and several layers of clearcoat.  This wasn’t a professional job but I would describe it as a good-to-very good D.I.Y job.  

Please note that as she has completed very few miles since this work was finished I have not yet sent the log-book to the DVLA to update the cover so it still states "Blue" - this will need to be done by the buyer but, as far as I know, can be done at the same time as the owner/keeper change.

She’s also had a recent Chain and Sprockets, has a very good back tyre.  Front tyre is legal and will be good for a bit longer, yet.  Also had new mirrors shortly after I got her as there weren’t any and I couldn’t get used to that !!

She’s a reliable starter, never left me stranded (except for a snapped clutch cable) and easily passed her last MoT with just two advisors – One being the front tyre (as mentioned above), the other being some exhaust gas leakage from the downpipes (but I’ve gone all over and I can’t see where there’s even a hint of a leak).

Other useless info :

She gets around 48 mpg around town – much higher on a run.

She was a Canadian import – apparently – I changed the clocks to MPH because the KPH ones irritated me !!

She’s always been garaged or, at very least, covered while in my ownership and has never been dropped by myself.

Damn she looks good . . . . To be honest there's a large part of me that's toying with pulling the auction and keeping hold of her . . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »
hmm if i had the money

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »
Have asked the bikers at work to spread the word...

Roadkill

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48:42 am »

48 watchers.

No bids.

Roadkill

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:26:53 am »
Bids up to £510 - the ball is rolling.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:02:32 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
Bids up to £510 - the ball is rolling

Winning bid = £560.00 it didn't roll much further

Given the refurb I thought she'd go for more than that

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:10:27 pm »

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »
Having spoken to guys in the bike trade who are also enthusiasts the Radian is not exactly a desireable bike on any level.  Given you can get some real tasty machinery according to them for £800 - £1,000 the final figure doesn't surprise me.

Roadkill

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:45:05 am »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
the final figure doesn't surprise me.

It surprised me as two black Radians had sold the week before in similar condition for £700.

I think the weather cracking up in the last few days didn't help.

I still did pretty well, though.

She cost me £420, IIRC, and I've probably spent around £160 on top of that so £580 in total-ish.

To lose £20 on a vehicle over 14 months ain't bad . . . on the plus side, as PhilO pointed out, I've taken a proper snotter and turned her into a respectable bike and hopefully given her a fresh lease of life . . . .

the Radian is not exactly a desireable bike on any level

Which, in itself is stupid.

I can't believe they didn't sell them in droves over here as they really do tick all the boxes.
Even PhilO commented on what a perfect bike the Radian is as a whole.

It wasn't pretty, true, but it does it's job perfectly.

It just goes to show how generally ignorant and obtuse "bikers" can be . . . . the exact reason I utterly hate being called one.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »
yup, if you've just passed your test, there are few bikes out there easier to ride, without having  tried it its impossible to communicate how incredible its low speed manoverability is, you can do a feet up, 2mph full lock u turn, without the slightest hint of a wobble.

i've never experienced that on any bike ever before, new or old. Even my dads bandit wasn't that manoverable - and they are one of the best bikes for test fresh riders. (the bandit was bought new, so its not just an age thing)

one of the harsh realities out there is just about anoyone on a recent reg sports bike has bought it for fashion, because there is no possible way of riding it to even 50% of its capability on the road, you'll either die or be banned.  In the real world, a 10 year old CBR 600 does everything a new one does, except depreciate.

the radian is based on rock solid mechanicals (XJ600) has more than enough go for a novice (will beat most cars with ease) and is just ridiculously easy to ride.

'bikers' are very fickle...

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:38 pm »
I have no interest in bikes so it makes no odds to me if it's a Radian or a Huyabusa.  But I have noticed certain bikes (not just non sports ones) are considered very undesirable by people who are very knowledgeable about bikes, however they often like some "boring" ones like the Cub 90.  Or really weird stuff.  It's another world I guess.  On a side note, the guys in question all ride bikes no newer than the late 90s' although most are older than that, go figure...

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 03:58:45 pm »
On a side note, the guys in question all ride bikes no newer than the late 90s' although most are older than that, go figure...

Many people (myself included) think there is little to no point riding a sportsbike any newer, in many respects they aren´t as good.. faster, but not as good at just about everything else.

the cub is probably the worlds most important vehicle, nothing (including the model t and the beetle) provided more people with independance than the cub.

desirability and competence are rarely linked, the lamborghini countach is hugely desirable, but utterly hopeless in almost every respect. the lada niva 4x4 is utterly undesirable, but any farmer will tell you they go places any other 4x4 fears to tread, even the land rover....

desirability is a fickle thing.

Roadkill

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 10:59:25 am »
Looks like I've had yet more $hitty luck with eBay.

Not only did it finish at a lower-than-expected price but it's looking like the winning bidder is going to be a time-waster.

He was supposed to pick up and pay cash on Saturday . . . then emailed me on Sunday to say that he wouldn't make it (thanks for that).

He then said he'd pay the cash direct into my bank account on Tuesday or Wednesday latest.

When the money hadn't arrived yesterday morning I called him and he acted like he wasn't supposed to pay the money in at all but then said he'd do it that afternoon for definate.
He also said he "didn't expect to win it for that little" - Then why did you snipe in the last 4 seconds !!!???

Anyway.  A day later and still nothing.  I've texted him to remind him but heard nothing back.

It's looking like I'm going to have to open yet another case to get my fees back and cancel the transaction.

Problem is that if I relist it again it's going to be finishing it late October and prices of bikes plummet as the bad weather comes in . . . . . I'd be lucky to see £500 for it.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 11:10:13 am »
A guy here might be interested in it at the auction end price, I'll let you know...

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:55 am »
it's looking like the winning bidder is going to be a time-waster.

Someone bring me my gun

Roadkill

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:13 am »
Quoting: Titsy
A guy here might be interested in it at the auction end price, I'll let you know...

Thanks.

But tell him that's the lowest I'll go - If I can't get that I'll be forced to garage it over winter knowing it'll be worth £100-£150 more in late Spring.

Quoting: F Body
Someone bring me my gun

Nah, that's too quick . . . two blunt forks, some jumper leads and a car battery is what he needs . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:01 pm »
Bumer to hear you having (yet) more fun with time wasters..........tis a real shame i aint got the cash as would do lovely...especially if things come together next week job wise.....

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:03:18 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
.tis a real shame i aint got the cash as would do lovely...especially if things come together next week job wise.....

monthly terms......
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 07:11:52 am »
Quoting: art b
monthly terms......

Or 'favours'
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 07:21:31 am »
Just heard from the buyer - no particular excuses . . . the guy's just a knob.

Say's he's paying the cash in  today - we'll see.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 11:01:30 am »

Just heard from the buyer - no particular excuses . . . the guy's just a knob.

lol nice!

Roadkill

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 11:54:16 am »
He decided to pay me SOME of the money - WTF - that wasn't the arrangement !!!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
He decided to pay me SOME of the money

Quoting: art b
monthly terms...

I thought it was quite clear

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

Oh FFS what the heck is he thinking!!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 12:21:24 pm »

Dude, do yourself a favour, save yourself the hassle and pull out of the deal - it's harder now as you have 'some' of his cash, but I can't see this ending up as a clean transaction.

Also, don't worry about negative feedback - he sounds like the kind of person who would leave negative feedback anyway - usually down to issues they have caused. For example, he will probably say that it took along time to get the bike - but that's his fault.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)