Author Topic: Infinity 6x9s, Infinity Sub and Amp  (Read 1117 times)

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Infinity 6x9s, Infinity Sub and Amp
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:42:37 pm »
anyone interested?

the 6x9s are new and boxed for £50
the amp is in good nic, boxed but used £65
the sub is an infinity 10'' comp sub, used but boxed and imaculate £60
matching sub box carpeted black £20

would DEFINITELY do a deal on multiple bits

can get pics of the sub and box on request, the sub is BA$TARD heavy!!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »
I do need a new amp for the IROC, but only to run the 2x 6x4 (front) and 2x 6x9 (rear) speakers.  I'm not having a sub in there because then there literally will be no space.

The speakers I have are JBL ones in those 2 sizes above & have nearly never been used because the old Phoenix Gold Amp which used to be in the car didn't work.

Would that amp do the job with the output from the stock headunit m8?
if it will i'll have it
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:54:03 pm »
well....  The Amp does have speaker level inputs so it will run on a standard head unit that doesn't have RCA preOuts, pretty rare on an amp now.

the amp is a 2 channel output, I bought it to run the pair of 6x9s, it will however run 4 speakers, they will have balance control L/R but no fader F/R.  Or, I guess you could hook it up with the fronts on one channel and the rears on the other, i mean, how often do you really use balance control!  I know I use the fader a fair bit so that's probably a more sensible way of doing it seein as the rears/fronts are different size speakers

According to the manual it can be hooked up like this:

Now, it will do it but it will drop the amp in to 2 Ohms which will double the RMS wattage, not ideal really but it will work

TBH I would use this to drive the rear 6x9s and use the stock head unit to drive the fronts.  That's the ideal way imo.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:42 pm »
Quoting: EDGE
Now, it will do it but it will drop the amp in to 2 Ohms which will double the RMS wattage, not ideal really but it will work

what does that mean?

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:07:36 pm »
it means that when you connect all 4 speakers the amp drops in to 2 ohm mode which halves the resistance and nearly doubles the power output.  The downside is it will draw a bit more current as the amp is working harder.  You'll only ever notice it if your at full volume and 'bangin out the choons' otherwise, it doesnt really make a blind bit of difference :)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 11:45:02 pm »
Hmm ok, so this is whats called a 2 channel amp which will work but a 4 channel (again with these speaker inputs) is what I would ideally need.

Sorry if I sound dumb here but in-car audio is something I know literally nothing about. As far as I know the old amp was only used for the 2 rear speakers anyway, why would that have been the case? I suppose as you said above there is no reason why I couldn't just do that?

At the very least it will get stuff up & running again, & you say it will work one way or the other which is cool by me.
Are you coming anywhere near Billing this weekend m8?

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 08:33:38 am »
Unfortunately not mate no,  I can UPS it to you if you like, at home or work?
It's only £9.50.... it's saying somehting when UPS is cheaper than the royal snail!

Most people just amplify the rears to be honest, the front speakers are in such a daft place and they're so small its hardly worth trying to shove 150W up them :)  

This will drive all 4 speakers, one channel doing the front and the other doing the rear, but I really wouldnt worry about amping the fronts.  I bought this specifically to amp a pair of 6x9s for the rear of my 4th gen (which i never got round to installing) so using it for that purpose is your best bet.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:38:25 am »
ok cool, i'll take it, haven't got time to sort stuff now as I have to leave to get to Paragon for the MOT, u ok to sort this on monday?

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »
you have PM...

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 11:36:21 am »
amp sold.... any takers on the other bits before I stick them on ebay?