Author Topic: Snow MONTH !!  (Read 5904 times)

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 08:07:10 am »
Quoting: F Body
Why ???? It's not like any staff are going to get to the airport or any planes are going to fly

exactly why i never bothered going into work at heathrow......

Roadkill

Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 08:27:29 am »
About 6" here this morning.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 08:30:05 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
About 6" here this morning.

More like 4"

Roadkill

Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 08:55:36 am »
More like 4"

It was up to (and passed) the hub caps on the '58.

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipmartian
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:44 am »
Prob about 4" here in teh wilds of Hanslope. Life is good.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 09:30:12 am »
no option for going to work today, both the A421 and A422 were either closed or impassable, as the word wont end if i dont go in, it was only sensible to stay home. The 421 had reports of people not moving in an hour with no sign of change.

dropped vicky at work (the alfa handles the snow much better than the GMC) and even with the traction control on, leaving the delloit building i only got a few feet before i came to a halt with the front wheels spinning in 2nd gear at idle!  Eventually managed to get moving again, aside from that, the alfa never put a foot wrong. FWD FTW

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:28 am »
Only about 12 people made it into the office so far this morning ( the Geeks haven't made it in so the internet is working ! ).
The roads in Luton are still completely grid locked, had a phone from a Director a few minutes ago and he has been on the M1 slip road J10 for nearly two hours barely moving
Still loads of people walking up to the airport with suitcases

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 09:41:46 am »
Left the Mustang at home today.  Titsy dropped me off and I'll walk home

Amey

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 09:52:44 am »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
dropped vicky at work (the alfa handles the snow much better than the GMC) and even with the traction control on, leaving the delloit building i only got a few feet before i came to a halt with the front wheels spinning in 2nd gear at idle! Eventually managed to get moving again, aside from that, the alfa never put a foot wrong. FWD FTW

Yeap I made it in to work
Huge thanks to Phil - it took a while for the alpha to get up the hill outside Deloitte. Even now people are having major issues on that hill.
Got about half the people in at the mo.

Ian's down in Swindon and they are just as bad. Maro decided to take a detour into a hedge at one poitn and the owner said Ian was the 3rd person to do that.
Thankfully the maro and the hedge were fine.
Ian left his Mum's at 7:30 and still hadn't got to work by 9.
Unsure if he's made it yet

Roadkill

Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 10:00:04 am »
i only got a few feet before i came to a halt with the front wheels spinning in 2nd gear at idle!

According to Sammy the entire Centre:MK is shut today !

The kids outside this morning tell me the schools are shut - again !

This country has gone soft !

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2009, 10:05:46 am »
moved the GMC so ian can have the driveway when he gets in, you wouldn't have got anywhere in that today.. it simply wont grip at all

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20:57 am »
Another person just got into work, left home at 06:50am to travel 3 miles and has just arrived at 10:20am

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:49 am »
Fingers crossed healthrow still seems to be operating today with just a few delays for tomorrow

Actually quite looking forward to the walk home this afternoon.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2009, 11:01:14 am »
We got about 3" ( Oh arr Vicar )

Left for the gym at 05:30am and all the hills in Luton were blocked with Lorries, Buses & cars  

Got to the gym at 05:55am and the cleaners let me in, turned on all the m/c's and the music system and started my work out  
The dam phone kept ringing so when I eventually answered it the Gym Manager told me that the gym was closed due to the snow  
So I had to sort all the cleaners out and arranged to "close" the gym at 07:15am ( it just happens to be when I finish my work out  ).

Left the gym to go to work and it's complete and utter gridlock, cars just abandoned and hundreds or people walking to the airport dragging big suitcases  

Why ???? It's not like any staff are going to get to the airport or any planes are going to fly  

Welcome to the UK the only country that stays in bed when the weather is bad

sounds like planet f body is a strange place too.....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2009, 11:05:19 am »
Another person just got into work, left home at 06:50am to travel 3 miles and has just arrived at 10:20am

thats just slacking.....surely you could have run there quicker that that...

posted from the deskbed of art burgess  

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:06 am »
well that was a fun 2 hrs to get from mums to work - its normall a 30 min journey....

as vickty said ended up hedge bound this morning - (popped into me sis's on way to mork) sisters road is a very slight incline down hill with a long sweeping right with a sharpish left at the bottom.....im doing 10 mph if that - get to the bit where it goes from right to left, and suddenly back end just goes and thats it im totall sidewise across the road and ended up nose of the car in the hedge!!

Guy came out said don't worry we give ya a push out - you the 3rd person to do it this morning - took a look at the road and no surprise - there about 1cm of snow and then sheet ice under it.....

Then took me ages on one of the main road as going along and someone infront stopped, so i had to stop - then just couldn't get going again - wheels spinning and slip sliding everywhere - ended up getting me sis's next door neighbours son and some random guy walking along the road to push the car onto the main road where there no ice and then was a fine journey in.

There are 2 of us in the office today - should be 8 of us in....

gunna be fun getting either back to MK or me mums later i think!!!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:09 am »
Quoting: art b
thats just slacking

Just got this e-mail from Griffin House :

On behalf of the management team, congratulations on getting into work today.

As you can see, we are thin on the ground with about 80 people making it in total.  This affects our ability to feed and water everyone down in the restaurant.

As the roads are no doubt still difficult off the main arteries and catering is limited, it is recommended that everyone leaves for home at 12 midday.  

The restaurant is providing light snacks if you require some sustenance before you leave.

Thanks you for your determination to make it in today. Southern site employees should please check local conditions tomorrow morning before you leave as the weather forecast is changeable.

(Southern Sites:  Griffin House, Technical Centre, Heritage Centre, Maidenhead, GMM Luton, Chalton House, Warehouse, Millbrook & GME Engineering Centre)

What a bunch of GIRLS

We are going no where

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2009, 11:44:36 am »

moved the GMC so ian can have the driveway when he gets in, you wouldn't have got anywhere in that today.. it simply wont grip at all

Cheers - yeah no surprise there the camaro was hard enough work!!!!

(thank god for that wonderful 2nd gear start switch!!!)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2009, 01:06:36 pm »
were off power sledging ......

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 01:07:55 pm »
Well I made most of the journey to work in my Camaro on Monday.  The only reason I failed was because the alternator failed no me (not related to the snow), so I went back home and swapped cars.

Tues-Thurs is car sharing days, so this morning I was in the CRV again. 2 hours to do 6 miles through Luton.  The roads weren't really that tricky, just full of cars sitting/moving slowly.  The side roads were snowed and icy, but empty and therefore quicker.

Someone has made good work in the time off

http://www.heartcolchester.co.uk/article.asp?id=1139767

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 01:09:40 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
This country has gone soft !

Totally... I managed to drop Chris off in wymbush and get to work in Buckingham with no problems and on time...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:26 pm »

Quoting: art b
thats just slacking.....surely you could have run crawled there quicker that that...

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2009, 04:22:05 pm »
Play it again Sam

Met Office Severe Weather Warning :

There is a high risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of southern and eastern England on Friday 6th Feb. Periods of snow will be heavy at times and will give accumulations of 5 to 10 cm over large areas and locally 15 to 20 cm over high ground. This is likely to cause disruption to travel.

Warning Valid from 0200 Fri 6 to 1500 Fri 6 .

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 05:35:08 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
Cheers - yeah no surprise there the camaro was hard enough work!!!!

You deserve a medal for ve driving that in this lot

Quoting: ianjpage
(thank god for that wonderful 2nd gear start switch!!!)

apart from the obvious answer wossat then?
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Snow MONTH !!
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 05:36:40 pm »
Could admin (when he eventually gets home) please re-title this thread to Snow Week!! please as I feel that this is now a much more appropriate title
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...