Author Topic: 4th Gen Camaro Electrics Question  (Read 1395 times)

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/flipmartian
4th Gen Camaro Electrics Question
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:48 pm »
Hi Chaps

My '99 Z28 has just blown a fuse (I think literally). I was sat at MK station the other night waiting to pick up my OH and listening to the stereo with all lights off. OH arrived, I switched headlights on - and discovered that I had no instrument lights and the stereo display went out as well!

Courtesy light is ok, headlights/sidelights ok but all interior instrumentation is off - even the backlit tripmeter which seems to be on my default dims when I put the lights on. And the illuminated gear indicators by the gear selector don't come on - which makes engaging Drive a bit hairy unless the car is parked under a street light at the time...

Head/sidelights off - stereo display/tripmeter is ok.

Switch them on and stereo goes out/tripmeter dims.

I'd not used the car for a couple of weeks (apart from turning over and running the engine for a few mins the previous week) - not sure if that might have had a bearing on things?

If anyone knows for sure what this might be - assuming a blown fuse? - then I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance :)

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:01:38 pm »
could be a bad ground, check the headlight grounds.  If they're dirty the extra load draw is sometimes enough to dim other things.... like when you see an old car indicating and the brake lights dim in sequence :)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:49:45 pm »
I had a similar problem with my old 3rd gen, and it was exactly the same list of stuff, I used to have to put the car in drive with the door open sometimes so the courtesy light was on.

That problem was a short somewhere because it blew every fuse I put in, i never fixed it though, sold the car on, it made driving at night very interesting, I got to know exactly what my engine sounded like at different speeds very quickly!!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Pod

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:06:12 pm »
Doesn't help at all, but a while back the gauge lights stopped working on my car. I had a bike light balanced on the dash so I could see how fast I was going at night.
It's fixed now though.

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:49:48 pm »
the fuse is ok if the interior comes back on when you switch the lights off

you need to check the wiring to the lights (its not that hard) each light should have a cable from the bulb holder to the bodywork, you need to check these

also look at the bulb holders and any joints in the harness, holders and joints get dirty causing high resistance which puts a big drain on the circuit so you may as well give them a clean

thinking about it you could take all the bulbs out then replace them one at a time and checking to see each time what happens with the interior lights the problem circuit will dim the interior, this should tell you at least where to look

Kenny

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:11:14 pm »
It sounds very much like a blown fuse, but as I dont have a camaro I cant say for sure.  Easy check though, open the fuse box and have a look see.

Roadkill

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:45:21 pm »
I have a similar issue with my Eldo . . . albeit in my case I think it's actually an issue with the switch itself as I have the old style on/off/dim switch all on one.

I'd suggest pulling the headlight bulbs and cleaning out the holders etc . . in the cold weather the damp can really mess with the electrical connection . . .

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:59:56 pm »
Just consulting the GM manual, make take a while because there are over 350 pages on electrickery

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:11:21 pm »
OK page 44 Headlight Schematics Chevrolet ( Europe - without day time running lights ).

Fuse number 16 in the fuse box ( left hand side of the dash board when you open the door ) controls the instrument cluster lights , radio and PRDNL illumination.

The complete circuit runs through the interior light dimmer switch, so I'd give that a twirl first

NB : Fuse 16 is 5 amp and located at the bottom of the fuse box on the left hand side ( there are two blanks to the left of it )

Let me know if you need more info

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:55:07 pm »
Cheers everyone for the replies!

I'm guessing Fuse 16 is the first and easiest thing to check then...then the wiring if that doesn't cure it (as its more of a job). So Fuse 16, left hand side of the dash when you open the door behind the flap which continually falls off, in my case

F Body - Assuming the fuse HAS gone - I'm assuming just any old 5 amp fuse won't do (asked the total technical klutz)?

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:04:46 pm »
reading your post it isnt the fuse, blown fuses dont dim lights they go out

is the interior illumination ok with the lights off ? if so it cant possibly be a fuse

and if the fuse is gone you still have to find out why coz a new fuse will just blow again

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:29 pm »
Er..... Would you believe the light dimmer rotary was turned right down? God knows how, maybe my knee hit it getting out of th ecar or something...

This must be my entry for the idiot hall of fame...

Hangs head in shame and mumbles huge apologies all round...

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:20:16 pm »
he he he .......
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 09:25:15 pm »
Quoting: Flip Martian
Er..... Would you believe the light dimmer rotary was turned right down? God knows how, maybe my knee hit it getting out of th ecar or something...

This must be my entry for the idiot hall of fame...

heh heh nice one sometimes its the most obvious thing dont worry we all do stuff like that

actualy them GM dimmers can be a bit iffy they get to the state where they are on or off

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 09:33:51 pm »
Looking on the bright side I've learned what to watch out for in terms of the lighting wiring, so cheers for that...

And big thanks to F Body for wading through the electricals manual. Top man.

I'm still a twonk though!

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 10:13:36 pm »
weve all been there.....

funny how we always, jump to the worst conclusion....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Roadkill

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 08:19:44 am »

Don't be ashamed . . . . be happy - it was an easy fix !!!

Now if it were a Ford . . . . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:21:04 am »

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 12:38:21 pm »
And big thanks to F Body for wading through the electricals manual. Top man.

I'm still a twonk though!

No problem Mate happy to help, a while back I couldn't get the alarm to stop going off

You've guessed it the rotary dimmer switch was in the interior light postion and the alarm kept sensing the current drain so went off

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:42:29 pm »
I used to have a clifford alarm with intelistart on my SAAB 9000, was messing with the remote start one day with the hood up, went round to the front to rev the motor forgeting the door was closed and the keys on the front seat, clunk down went the locks as the revs hit the RPM limit on the alarm setting for the auto lock feature. So now i am stood outside with the car running, keys on the front seat and the doors locked

Flip Martian

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 01:39:59 pm »
I'm starting to feel better already...!