Author Topic: ISP REVIEW  (Read 2876 times)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:56:02 am »
ive been inundated with good offers for internet service providers, been with "a ohell" for years..and they have been okish  

but were paying around 23 quid a month...more than most others....

we have aol addys can we still use em if we change provider...
so who do you use and why.....

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:14:19 am »
Quoting: art b

Unlikely, but it varies by provider.  My original email address was a BT Internet one, and it kept running for months after I cancelled the contract - in fact I gave up using it before they cancelled it.

My brother-in-law was with tiscali, and they cancelled his email the day they cancelled the contract, giving him just a couple of our notice to transfer his emails and address book out.

I'm currently with O2, because they offer ADSL plus(faster than ADSL, but not available everywhere), and they're tech support is excellent.

I get around the changing email address problem by buying my own domain and having a private email address rather than an IP one.  It goes whereever you want then.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:54:41 am »
Quoting: Jamieg285

I get around the changing email address problem by buying my own domain and having a private email address rather than an IP one. It goes whereever you want then.

Im with Sky at the mo as its uber cheap with us having sky plus as well, we get a decent connection and haven't had any issues so far...

What jamie said - some will allow it to continue, some wont 0- i can still log into my virgin media account from when i had DIAL UP internet in swindon!!!!

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 12:11:13 pm »
so who do you use and why.....

Sky. I get a 17Mb connection for £10 a month because i'm a Sky TV customer, but speeds and cost depend on if they have hardware in your exchange...

An upto 20Mb connection is £10/month
An upto 10Mb connection is £5/month
An upto 2Mb connection is Free

but like I said, you need to be a sky TV customer

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:52 pm »
Also, I still have a BT internet email address from about 6 years ago that I pay £1.50 a month to keep, you may be able to keep you email address for a small charge and still save overall on your original ISP...

Or if it's Gmail based you may be able to keep it anyway...

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:14:10 pm »
o2, Best around bar none £ for £. Sky is expensive I think when you take in how much per month you have to give them to get the best package all together (TV Etc inc.).

I pay £7.50 p/month as an o2 customer, I got my first £30 paid for as a promotion and when I move house, I will pay £0 charges (Sky wanted over £100 for this!)

Biggest no no is talk talk, simply terrible

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:19:35 pm »
well were sky subscribers so could be do-able  
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »
Quoting: Fieldy
I pay £7.50 p/month as an o2 customer

£12.50 if you are not an o2 customer...

Sky is expensive I think when you take in how much per month you have to give them to get the best package all together (TV Etc inc.).

You can only get Sky broadband if you are a Sky TV customer, but if you are anyway then it's much cheaper than o2... £5 vs £7.50... for upto 10Mb vs. upto 8Mb...

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:20:22 pm »
if it works never move well thats my experiences of ISPs anyway the last disaster left me without bband for a year

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:24:11 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
£5 vs £7.50... for upto 10Mb vs. upto 8Mb..

I get 20mb package

Just checked on my account online

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:24:22 pm »
well were sky subscribers so could be do-able

You can check here to see what rate you could get. If they haven't got hardware in your exchange then they would be more expensive as they have to cut BT in and so this may rule them out.

I'm not sure what rate you get with AOL, but sky told my my line may only support upto 6.5Mb when tested and I get a 17Mb connection now, so they really do undercut the estimate to cover themselves

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:25:59 pm »
I get 20mb package

Their website costs that at £17.50 per month... £20.50 for Joe public

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »
Also Sky  Email address are gmail so you can keep them even if you switch ISP in the future.

Roadkill

ISP REVIEW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:56 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
Im with Sky at the mo as its uber cheap with us having sky plus as well, we get a decent connection and haven't had any issues so far...

Sky 4 teh win !!!1111

I still have a BT internet email address

I have one from about 3 years ago that they don't charge me a penny for and keep saying they're gonna close it but never do.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 12:32:41 pm »
Their website costs that at £17.50 per month... £20.50 for Joe public

Not according to my account and I paid nothing for the broadband box or anything up front. Always go in store to buy for the better deals, besides, o2 customer service is second to none.

Sky, I pay £40 odd quid a month and then they wanted some silly money for the equipment etc. Anyway, that's my 2cents....

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:47 pm »
I'm with NTHell which is now Virgin, they are the only option for me because it's fibre optic and not down the phone line. We tried 3 service providers using our BT phone and they all failed due to our distance from the exchange.
I'm currently ripped off £37 per month for 20mb ? ( what ever the top rate is ) but in reality it's rarely above 0.5mb

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 12:35:39 pm »
they wanted some silly money for the equipment

I've never paid for a router from Sky...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:27 pm »
I pay £7.50 p/month as an o2

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »
If you're an o2 customer already then it looks like o2 is the way to go if you can get 20Mb for £7.50. Seems very odd that they don't advertise it though...

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »
I've never paid for a router from Sky...

They wanted it from me....

Some silly agency worker on a crappy booth in the middle of bluewater seemed to think I was born yesterday, Right next to the o2 shop. So, I went back and forth between the 2 half a dozen times talking to the both, £ for £, and sky couldn't touch them on that occasion.

I think sometimes it depends on who you talk to and when.

As I said, I get the premium package, for £7.50 p/month and paid nothing for the set up or box. Plus, £30 cash back added to the account (5 months later, I haven't paid 1p and still have a tenner left )

As I said, I think I give Sky enough money as it is. I told him on the day I would take their broadband IF he gave me a free HD box, but he told me the package was so incredible and awe-inspiring, I should buy the HD box for full price as well as the broadband equipment AND pay more per month for the same package as o2 were offering.

All I can say is, as long as we are disputing the 'Positives' of broadband, it is a good think. 5 years ago, we would have struggled to say anything positive at all

VIPER

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukviperclub.org
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 12:47:02 pm »
Virgin Media 20bm and get 17...

Martin Have you ever booked a service call ?? You should be getting alot more than that.....

a91_formula

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://american-thunder.co.uk
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »
Quoting: F Body
I'm with NTHell which is now Virgin, they are the only option for me because it's fibre optic and not down the phone line. We tried 3 service providers using our BT phone and they all failed due to our distance from the exchange.
I'm currently ripped off £37 per month for 20mb ? ( what ever the top rate is ) but in reality it's rarely above 0.5mb

We are also on 20mb Virgin and have the lowest TV package and the almost non-existence phone package for £31 per month.

Martin, if you are NOT getting your 20mb call them.  You will be surprised how quickly you will get it - all of 20 seconds from you saying "I'm not getting my 20mb".  It's amazing how you "suddenly get it".  I call at least once a week as I check virgins preferred speedtest (speedtest. net!) and as we both play on-line gaming - we need it!  One month I complained so much I had a £10 credit :)
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 12:48:23 pm »
Quoting: F Body

a91_formula

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://american-thunder.co.uk
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 12:51:51 pm »
Oh and btw Martin - how old is your cable modem.  We had one of the really old NTL:home modems and on investigation we found they were not up to the 20mb standard so again I rang and complained - the next day I had a brand spanking new one through the door at no extra cost

It pays to complain.........
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
ISP REVIEW
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
Quoting: a91_formula
Martin, if you are NOT getting your 20mb call them.

Tried, unless you have a secret contact number the one on the homepage always says " We are experiencing higher than usual call demand, please hold blah.blah.blah "

and they NEVER EVER respond to e-mails

Like I said they have me by the privates