Author Topic: OK Petrol Heads - Opinions please  (Read 1975 times)

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
OK Petrol Heads - Opinions please
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:55:40 pm »
I've got a voucher for a Supercar drive.  The list of vehicles available (not all guaranteed) is below.

I've setup a poll (http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?action=poll&pollaction=vote&pollID=34) but I'd also be interested in why you'd choose which and if there are any to avoid?  I'll reveal my favourites and final choices later...

Aston Martin DB9,
Aston Martin V8 Vantage,
Porsche 911 GT3 RS,
Porsche 911 Turbo,
Lamborghini Gallardo,
Ferrari 360,
Ferrari California,
Nissan GTR
BMW M3 V8 track car
Aerial Atom
Caterham
McLaren MP4-12C,
Ferrari 458
Mercedes SLS

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:45 pm »
How many laps are you getting?

I drove the V8 Vantage a few weeks back at Donnigton, it is incredible, but a 'wafty' drive, not a hooligan. Incredible in it's own merit and one of my faves on the day.

I also drove a Ferrari 360.... HORRID!! Seriously, I wasn't the only person to think so either. The pedals are over the the left due to the massive, deep wheel arch and it is very awkward and, I thought, quite a let down.

The best car for pure fun and handling was the Fiat 500 Arbarth.
If I could do it again, that would be what I would end my day on. Like glue on tarmac, quick and pure fun.

I voted GT3 RS as I think they look fun and purposeful, but it was between that and the new McLaren for me.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:43:35 pm »
ariel atom ...
 or maclaren mp4
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
Wot he said /\ /\

I think out of all the super cars of recent, the only one I'd choose that isn't American in the McLaren. It just looks, sounds and seems to be a beast.

Second to the Atom, but the Atom I think you'd have to guarantee fine weather to enjoy to its fullest.

The Nissan GTR is meant to have a launch control feature that will snap your neck off and self learns depending on the traction available on previous launches.

Or alternatively watch this and decide from the winners...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
I can only tick off the Caterham and Nissan GTR from that list. The Caterham is great fun as it's pretty much a go-cart, but if that's what your after then I'd probably go for the Atom as it's effectively a Caterham on steroids. The Nissan was awesome to drive, and cornered like it was on rails.

I would say that our MD is a proper petrol head who races regularly in Fun Cup series and wins a lot. He has had or driven most of that list, but is currently sporting the 458 as his weekend car, and loves it.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
I've picked a Lambo Gallardo and Aerial Atom for the Track day I'm doing with friends in March

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »
Quoting: Jamieg285

McLaren MP4-12C,
Ferrari 458

Both are real drivers cars. the Mac is criticized for being to sanitized, where as the 458 has more soul

Roadkill

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:09 pm »
I'd ask where the cool cars are kept . . . and drive one of those.  

Dunno - Just pick the most expensive.  

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:23:00 pm »
what does a 'supercar drive' entail?

A few laps around a circuit? then my choice would be the porker GT3 or the Mclaren

A weekend hire with the missus? then the Aston DB9

Atom is a caterham but insanely fast; too much work to control it to be able to enjoy it imho - in fairness I only drove one for 5 minutes but it made my camaro look like a good roadholder!

Ask if they have any Copo camaro's hidden out the back!

EDIT: just looked at the poll; deffo got to go with the GT3 for the most fun

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:51:35 am »
Atom

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:48:33 pm »
Some interesting answers, thanks all.

It's a 2 lap drive (3 miles total), just one car, but there may be the option to upgrade and do more.  

My initial thoughts were the same as Chris, Atom and Lambo.  I'm leaning toward the Atom the most, but will see what dates I can pick and what the upgrade options are before committing.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 03:41:00 pm »
Quoting: Jamieg285
I'm leaning toward the Atom the most

I left out the Caterham and Atom purely because they are the two cars that realistically you might one day afford  

Another factor to consider is the good old British weather, neither of those two would be much fun in the rain

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »
Booked for the 15th March. Didn't get to choose the car now, they let you choose on the day.

Some of the list won't be available

1st choice was going to be the Atom (supercharged!), but they only do passenger rides in that

Probably going to do the Lambo and the Nissan, but will see what takes my fancy on the day.

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:12 pm »
Well, the day has come and gone. I went down to Aldershot and found the place pretty rammed, mainly due to most people, like myself, attending due to the freebie CarphoneWhoreHouse vouchers.

The full fleet wasn't available, (some still being shipped back from South Africa, where they run in the Winter), but that meant they brought out some of the rarer stuff.  I had the choice of:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage,
Porsche 911 GT3 RS,
Lamborghini Gallardo,
Ferrari 360 Challenge Stadale,
Nissan GTR
McLaren MP4-12C,
Ferrari 458
Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Black

Due to the piss-poor way it was organised, (basically after signing in you simply joined a queue for each car), and the fact that the Lambo queue was the longest, I opted for the McLaren (even that was over an hour queueing) and then the Ferrari 360, based on it being a rare special edition.

Thoroughly enjoyed both of them. The McLaren was a lot smoother more refined. You could tell there was more electronics going on.  I did prefer the Ferrari though, it was a bit more raw, more like a race car.

I wish I'd had a bit more money to be able to try some of the others now, fancied trying the Nissan, Merc and Porsche.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »
I would have been annoyed with the waiting and ques, but sounds like you enjoyed it!

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 07:26:41 am »
 Got mine next weekend

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »
Quoting: Incursus
Got mine next weekend

Was awesome especially the Atom

Some pic's on Facebook, might put them on here if I have time this evening.

Also got a couple of video's I might upload, courtesy of Race Logic I believe.. at least the Atom certainly had some RL kit on it, including a small black box with a knob on it.. adjustable traction control Steve?