Author Topic: Thrills hijack 'Pirates'  (Read 2194 times)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« on: July 07, 2006, 08:05:32 am »
July 6, 2006

BY BILL ZWECKER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

'PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST' (PG-13)

Critic's rating: **1/2

Jack Sparrow: Johnny Depp
Will Turner: Orlando Bloom
Elizabeth Swann: Keira Knightley
Davy Jones: Bill Nighy
Gov. Swann: Jonathan Pryce
Bootstrap Bill: Stellan Skarsgard

When "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" opened in 2003, millions were enchanted by Johnny Depp because this always-intriguing actor made yet another contribution to the world of memorable cinematic characters: Capt. Jack Sparrow. The film also showcased strong performances by Orlando Bloom and young English actress Keira Knightley, whose beauty, poise and amazing acting chops moved her quickly to the top of those "people to watch" lists in Hollywood.

Though inspired not by literature, but by Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride, the first "Pirates" film was a joyful, exuberant, fast-paced confection clearly worthy of the more than $650 million it racked up at box offices worldwide. It had all the right elements for the classic summer blockbuster: action, attractive and intelligent stars and a story line that pulled us in right from the get-go.

Director Gore Verbinski returns with virtually his entire principal cast intact for "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," the first of two sequels, both of which were filmed simultaneously last year. The third "Pirates," which still is being shot, is due out next summer.

Walt Disney Studios presents a film directed by Gore Verbinski. Written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio. Running time: 140 minutes. Rated PG-13 (for intense sequences of adventure violence, including frightening images). Opening Friday at local theaters, with midnight screenings tonight at selected locations.

In this second film, we find the earnest Will Turner (Bloom) and his fiancee Elizabeth Swann (Knightley) have been thrown into prison by the evil East India Trading Co. poohbah Lord Beckett, played with delicious restraint by Tom Hollander. Turner and Swann, of course, are merely pawns Beckett needs to hatch his real plan: using the love-besotted couple to help him snare Sparrow in his net. Like Sparrow, Beckett is determined to get control of a treasure chest (and its mysterious contents) belonging to the infamous and nefarious pirate Davy Jones, now the spectral ruler of the ocean depths.

In the process, we are taken for quite the thrill ride as Capt. Jack and his merry band of happy misfits bounces from one near-fatal encounter to another. Along the way, we're introduced to a bizarre tribe of cannibals who both worship Sparrow and are impatient to make him the main course of a festive feast. The cannibals' prison cages are but one of several special effects that will force audiences to completely suspend all belief in the natural laws of physics. (An ancient mill wheel gone AWOL -- so to speak -- is another example of these gravity-defying feats.)

Unfortunately, it seems director Verbinski has, perhaps unintentionally, been more influenced this time by the original film's theme-park ride inspiration than he was while helming "The Curse of the Black Pearl." This second film is pretty much all thrills, special effects and nonstop action -- but with virtually no cohesive or compelling story line.

Sure, there are plenty of great Depp quips and clever zingers from Knightley and especially the supporting players in Sparrow's crew. But those one-liners merely act as grace notes, covering up a script sadly lacking in punch or clarity. While the film starts off quite strong, it's clear that by the second act, and definitely by the third, that our principal players are pretty much just walking (or leaping) through their roles as they spew out lines in a period setting much like contemporary characters might do in one of Hollywood's innumerable, mindless, blow-'em-up no-brainers.

Given the standards of the first "Pirates" movie, I expected more from Verbinski, and writers Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott, who did a far better job on the original "Pirates."

While the weak script detracts from "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," special note must be made about a couple of truly wonderful performances. Bill Nighy's Davy Jones -- in all his fantastical, tentacled glory -- is a memorable villain and a joy to observe. Stellan Skarsgard gives an even more nuanced performance, presented with heart-wrenching poignancy, as Bootstrap Bill, who long ago made his pact with the devil and joined Davy Jones' barnacle-encrusted, zombielike crew of the undead.

Unlike in the original film, Depp's performance as Sparrow seems just a tad off this time. If we hadn't seen him three years ago, hysterically doing his mincing and prancing and swishing so much better, perhaps this second outing, so to speak, would have seemed fresher. Knightley, too, comes off far less saucy here, and Bloom's talents are largely wasted -- except to showcase his skills with a sword and his ability to give us one heck of a "hurt puppy" look when needed.

The whole production also would have been better if Verbinski and crew had worked harder in the editing room. At nearly 2-1/2 hours, this film is simply too long. With 30 minutes chopped out, all of those great action sequences and mind-boggling special effects would have made an even stronger impression.

As it is, I walked out afterward with the thought that a better title might have been: "Pirates of the Caribbean Lite."

Roadkill

Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:54:44 am »
Unfortunately, it seems director Verbinski has, perhaps unintentionally, been more influenced this time by the original film's theme-park ride inspiration than he was while helming "The Curse of the Black Pearl." This second film is pretty much all thrills, special effects and nonstop action -- but with virtually no cohesive or compelling story line.

Hmm . . . .

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 08:57:47 am »
Still going to see it tho (Closest thing to a Pirate I could find...)
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 09:00:54 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
Still going to see it tho

Yeah same here although this guy is usualy on the money with his reviews

Roadkill

Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:03:05 am »
Still going to see it tho

Ditto.

Also really looking forward to Superman.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:08:05 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
Superman.

Yeah, Fighting for Freedom, Justice and 'all that stuff'...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:09:59 am »
Also really looking forward to Superman.

Nah not looking forward to this. Remaking the originals is wrong just like the last 3 starwars films. I want to remember them as they were not how modern special effects has ruined them

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 09:11:02 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
Remaking the originals is wrong

I thought it was a whole new story not a remake...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:45 am »

it may well be but its still wrong in my opinion to try and continue on films. Take batman how many films were there although in tha case the last one was by far the best of the bunch

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:16:20 am »
Nah not looking forward to this. Remaking the originals is wrong just like the last 3 starwars films. I want to remember them as they were not how modern special effects has ruined them

They're releasing the original originals on DVD soon, limited editions till the end of the year.

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 09:16:53 am »

It's a 'sequel' to number 2.

(so 3 and 4 didn't exist ?!?!)

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 09:18:51 am »
Take batman how many films were there although in tha case the last one was by far the best of the bunch

Yes, Batman Begins was the best of the lot, but that was because they started again, rather than making it as a sequel, much like the new Superman (although, as stated above, it's being made to follow from the story line of 2)

Roadkill

Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 09:26:42 am »
Remaking the originals is wrong

Well, the last Batman film ROCKED . . that was a prequel . . so I'm hoping this Superman film is along similar lines . . .

Roadkill

Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 09:27:49 am »
Quoting: Jamieg285
It's a 'sequel' to number 2.

Ahhh

Quoting: Jamieg285
(so 3 and 4 didn't exist ?!?!)

They were crap - I could forget them easily enough.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 09:31:08 am »
Well, the last Batman film ROCKED . . that was a prequel . . so I'm hoping this Superman film is along similar lines . . .

That was the exception as the star wars prequels sucked monkey balls

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 10:20:19 am »
My expectaions of the new pirate film are pretty low anyway.  Wont stop me from going to see it though

Also very much looking forward to the Superman film, doubt it will be the same caliber as the latest Batman film though that was exceptional

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 10:22:48 am »

That was the exception as the star wars prequels sucked monkey balls

Episode 2 wasnt that bad and I quite enjoyed episode 3.  episode 1 is completely unwatchable though.   I've never really been a staw wars fan anyway....odd really cos I'm a Sci Fi g33k  

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 08:08:06 am »
Went to see this last night and as the review says didnt live up to the 1st one.

It started out so well but the story lost pace towards the middle and just turned into a trailer for the final part in my opinion
 Loosing that 30mins would have made the film more substantial and more enjoyable.
 When the end came i felt slightly cheated that i would have to wait for the final film when ever it is released. Had a deja vu feeling much like the second and third matrix films jusy going through the motions no real substance

All in all a 7/10

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 09:10:58 am »
I agree, very enjoyable but lacked a lot of the clever dialog that made the 1st one so good.

cannibals' prison cages are but one of several special effects that will force audiences to completely suspend all belief in the natural laws of physics.

completly agree with that the water wheel thing made me cringe.

Some very funny moments though especially in the 1st half

/12    

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 11:37:41 am »
is it only me thats ONLY going to see it for Kiera Knightly wearing.... not a lot ????

EDGE

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 11:40:33 am »
Quoting: EDGE

is it only me thats ONLY going to see it for Kiera Knightly wearing.... not a lot ????

well you have got your reign as sleeze to up hold

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 11:40:44 am »

I'm with you on that one buddy..... She's not exactly 'stacked', but she's HOT nether the less....

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 12:07:15 pm »
Quoting: Titsy
I'm with you on that one buddy..... She's not exactly 'stacked', but she's HOT nether the less....

Agreed

Giggidy!

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 12:23:32 pm »
well you have got your reign as sleeze  to up hold

I'm gonna have to dig out the certificate soon.... i think it needs framing

Quoting: Titsy
I'm with you on that one buddy..... She's not exactly 'stacked', but she's HOT nether the less..

indeed she is...... I would go as far as saying that she's a TOTAL HOTTIE !!!!!

er......

http://i.xanga.com/Tips_2_Thin/keira_knightly.jpg

SPAF SPAF SPAF !!!!

EDGE

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Thrills hijack 'Pirates'
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 12:33:24 pm »

Indeed she is Giggidy but unfortunatly we was mostly in mens clothing through out the film