Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 916 times)

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Brake pads
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:16:53 am »
Didn't we have a thread about squealing brake pads? or more specifically about to stop them squealing?

I have to change the pads on the pickup soon and vaguely remember people offering their tips. I used to use loads of copperease but I'm sure someone came up with a link to  purpose made product?

Roadkill

Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
I always use coppergrease . . . that said I do have some "purpose made" stuff in my roll-cab.

I'll fish it out later and have a look.

Andy

Brake pads
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:29:53 am »
I did do a brake change a while ago on my car, I think it was around the same time CP did to. I know I was told to put two big dabs of Copper slip on the piston patch on the pad as well as the two half circle grooves that the pad runs in. Not sure if yours will have the same features or not, but just lots of grease I think.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Brake pads
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
Yep, copper grease on the back of the pad
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Brake pads
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:42 am »
Best I go and buy a jumbo pack then

Roadkill

Brake pads
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:28 pm »
My brother also advised me to file-off the powder-coat on the upper and lower edges (the parts that sit against the caliper).

His arguement was that the coating heats up and becomes sticky against the rough caliper and encourages sticking / squealing.

I spend 20 seconds or so filing this area smooth, then dab a bit of coppergrease on.

I've never had noisey brakes after doing that.

Andy

Brake pads
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:52 pm »
Ah yes, scraping out the brake dust/build up of crap helps! Also try not to round off the caliper bolt if changing the discs too. A what should've been 2 hour job suddenly got very very long.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Brake pads
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:34:51 pm »
the EBC pads in my front brakes came with self adhesive soft plastic pads that you stuck on the rear surface of the pad, worked a treat.  I think you can get them for any pad.