Author Topic: Cutout project completed  (Read 1241 times)

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:54:17 pm »
So I've finally finished the Electric cut out install on the camaro

heres some pics. i've place the switch where the boot release once was. I also stripped down the centre console so that the wiring is routed neatly under it and also under the carpet . I then drilled through the floor pan above the cutout and used a rubber grommet to cover it all up. Its a nice clean install and i've managed not to drill into any of my plastic incase i take it all out again.

One rookie mistake i made though was forgetting that the live on the boot switch only works when the transmission is in park , so it wont work when i'm driving along ,.   suggestions ???

not the greatest quality , becaus ethey were taken on my phone , but heres a couple of vids

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/craigthejones/?action=view&current=MOV00016.flv

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/craigthejones/?action=view&current=MOV00014.flv

Fin i'll get you some good pics and video footage once i get my hands on a digital camera mate

< Message edited by fin170703 -- Jan. 28 2007 14:45:43 >

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »
Quoting: Fin170703
I then drilled through the floor pan

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 04:03:33 pm »
its a 4mm hole that can be easily welded and sanded back. i've coated the hole and have used a rubber grommet to seal it all up.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 04:04:47 pm »
How are you going to adjust the timing when the cutout is open? when you remove the exhaust you will need to adjust the timing to compensate for lack of back pressure otherwise your gonna loose power

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 04:45:59 pm »
I've been PM'ing alot of the thirdgen guys about possible problems and they dont seem to think there will be any.

I dont plan to drive around like it all the time , its really just a bit of fun to open them up every now and then,.

I dont know a hell of alot about it all so could you explain the need to adjust the timing ???

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:48:30 pm »
Quoting: Fin170703

I dont know a hell of alot about it all so could you explain the need to adjust the timing ???

When you change an exhaust system it changes the way the engine will run, normally when you make the exhaust flow better by decreasing back pressure the timing will need to be advanced a couple of degrees, Just ask roadkill with open system the car was down on power and rough idle, when the timing had been tweeked it ran back how it used to

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:00:37 pm »
I was going to put the car on the dyno so it will be interesting to see what the power differnces are

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 05:58:50 pm »
I'll post my results when its done.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 06:40:52 pm »
Quoting: Deuce

The results will be very interesting, is there a local dyno? Or can anyone recommend one. They will need to be used to carbs and none of this electric Tomfoolery..

Keep an eye out on here mate, usually a couple of dyno days a year posted on here. There is a chassis dyno at silverstone if you cant wait but it runs about £400 for half a day. There is also a dyno over in wellingborough and one in birmingham that have run dyno days

If you just need the motor dynoing then again ICE engines at silverstone charge £400 for a session including any tunning

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 07:56:40 pm »
Thanks for that, ideally I'd like to be able to adjust the carb / timing etc while there to get it spot on so Silverstone sounds good.

here is the details for the engine dyno at silverstone, i cant remember who had the chassis dyno but i will see if i still have the information

http://www.iceautomotive.co.uk/dyno.html

Roadkill

Cutout project completed
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 09:56:08 pm »
We'll have to have a sound off once I've got 4 wheels back on my wagon ....

Ooo, Ooo, put me down for that !

CJ-IROCZ

• Ho
    • View Profile
Cutout project completed
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 07:42:57 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
Ooo, Ooo, put me down for that !