Author Topic: parts of detriot abandoned  (Read 1370 times)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
parts of detriot abandoned
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:33:57 pm »
due in part to the collapse of the car industry

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/abandoned-city3.htm

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »
Eminem has been raising this point for years, he focuses on Detroit as it's his home city, although, he has often mentioned the whole of the US for being ridiculous in being money driven.
(IMO, The US is where the UK was in the Victorian times, you are either rich, or poor. Yes they state a 'middle class', but very few middle class US citizens suffer unless they do so through their own mis-use of credit etc, Carl may clarify this or disagree).

You only need to see this video to see the demise of Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYQQPAOz7Y

If you listen to Eminems music, you will see a lot of this in the videos and hear alot in the music.

Devils night was a song on the 'D12' album (His 'group') and is actually a good track, one of the best on the CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfRN7d4VEBE

Also, the song 'Beautiful' features the derelict parts and some info on this fact

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgT1AidzRWM

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »
This is incredible - And very much automotive related as it was 'Misubishi' who owned it...

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/abandoned-city4.htm

I have been on Google Earth looking at it, awesome.... I would love to go there

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:29:44 pm »
Not motor related as such, just coal

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/abandoned-city5.htm

Quoting: Website
City workers burning trash in an open pit in 1962 accidentally lit a vein of anthracite coal, part of the vast deposit that lay beneath the town [source: Washington Post]. Once lit, the coal carried the flames to adjacent veins and deposits, eventually causing a huge underground coal fire. The city tried for years to put the fire out. Techniques like mining burning coal, digging trenches to cut the fire off from the rest of the coal beds, and dousing the embers with water all failed to produce the desired effect. Officials concluded the best chance to save the town was to dig an extensive network of trenches to isolate the hot spots. The exorbitant cost of the undertaking kept the plan from ever coming to fruition.

In 1981, with the fire burning steadily for almost 20 years, the last straw came for most of the town’s residents. A 12-year-old found the ground beneath his feet had literally opened up. T­he boy managed to grab onto a root and was rescued by his cousin from the 150-feet deep sinkhole filled with poisonous carbon monoxide

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:58:27 pm »
I read all of those other links too that island in Japan is where they filmed Battle Royale I think...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

sixpack2639

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:18:49 am »
Quoting: Fieldy
(IMO, The US is where the UK was in the Victorian times, you are either rich, or poor. Yes they state a 'middle class', but very few middle class US citizens suffer unless they do so through their own mis-use of credit etc, Carl may clarify this or disagree).

Actually you're right and wrong in a way.

The so called "middle class" aren't so cut and dry. I would presume it to be split into 2 groups, the "upper middle class" and "lower middle class".

The "upper middle class", while not technically "rich", are well off enough they fit into you're description.

The "lower middle class", while not technically "poor", are scraping by, living paycheck to paycheck with one foot in the poor house and the other on a banana peel, trying their damndest to keep their credit on the good side, but one slip up and they're screwed.

Just my opinion.........

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:43 am »
Quoting: sixpack2639
but one slip up and they're screwed.

It is sad, very sad as all it needs is a broken leg and a medical bill and

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 01:05:03 pm »
Quoting: sixpack2639
Actually you're right and wrong in a way.

The so called "middle class" aren't so cut and dry. I would presume it to be split into 2 groups, the "upper middle class" and "lower middle class".

The "upper middle class", while not technically "rich", are well off enough they fit into you're description.

The "lower middle class", while not technically "poor", are scraping by, living paycheck to paycheck with one foot in the poor house and the other on a banana peel, trying their damndest to keep their credit on the good side, but one slip up and they're screwed.

Just my opinion.........

Sounds just like here TBH

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »
Quoting: FUBAR
Sounds just like here TBH

We have much greater social back-up

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:07 pm »
We have much greater social back-up

true, didn't think of that

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:31 am »

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/abandoned-city5.htm

Funny you should bring that up, I was reading up on it just a few weeks ago.
I found this series of vids by 2 guys who found the blocked off entrance to the original road and drove over the barrier with their Jeep then went exploring.  (fast forward to 1min 40 for the entrance to the road, and to 6:30 if you get bored for the state of the road and a temperature reading)

Centralia is the inspiration behind the location of the movie "Silent Hill".

Andy

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:19:52 am »
Quoting: HardRockCamaro
I found this series of vids by 2 guys who found the blocked off entrance to the original road and drove over the barrier with their Jeep then went exploring. (fast forward to 1min 40 for the entrance to the road, and to 6:30 if you get bored for the state of the road and a temperature reading)

Centralia is the inspiration behind the location of the movie "Silent Hill".

Thats a really sweet video!

What the hell was happening to the road? Can't imagine it was terribly sensible to undermine the entrance!

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 05:21:53 pm »
I found this series of vids by 2 guys who found the blocked off entrance to the original road and drove over the barrier with their Jeep then went exploring. (fast forward to 1min 40 for the entrance to the road, and to 6:30 if you get bored for the state of the road and a temperature reading)

wow, still smouldering, that is incredible

So I guess there are no buildings remaining then?

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 06:14:17 pm »
There are, video 2 or 3 in this series shows some.
Some people still live there, they basically refused to leave so I suppose they're there illegally...

I think it's the 2nd largest coal seam known in the world so it will burn for hundreds of years...

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 10:33:06 pm »
they basically refused to leave so I suppose they're there illegally...

It is reported that they are officially 'squalling' in their old homes....

Madness, this is all in 'the most powerful country in the world'

Andy

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »
'the most powerful country in the world'

Thought the Chinese were the new most powerful country in the World?

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:18 am »
its amazing that 1 accident has written off such a massive quantity of fuel / land to just burn away underground over the next few centuries.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 08:15:10 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
its amazing that 1 accident has written off such a massive quantity of fuel / land to just burn away underground over the next few centuries.

kind of hard to believe imo

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:15 pm »
Just looked Centralia PA up on google...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=centralia+pa&sll=40.80322,-76.339917&sspn=0.00735,0.016469&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Centralia,+Columbia,+Pennsylvania,+United+States&t=h&z=15

You can see the cracks in the Highway (south of the town) that they go in on in the images.

You can see the still occupied houses & the couple of main roads that still run through the town.

Roadkill

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 08:25:54 am »

Ah, I saw that (Centralia) town featured on "Life after people" - Great show, BTW . . .

Worth a look if it's ever repeated.  It features alot of abanboned towns in the states . . . . another was Rhyolite (sp) and Gary (Micheal Jacksons birthplace).

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 09:14:55 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
Ah, I saw that (Centralia) town featured on "Life after people" - Great show, BTW . . .

Worth a look if it's ever repeated. It features alot of abanboned towns in the states . . . . another was Rhyolite (sp) and Gary (Micheal Jacksons birthplace).

Sounds good, thanks