Author Topic: Anyone know anything about renovating / converting barns?  (Read 1237 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Anyone know anything about renovating / converting barns?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:44:05 pm »
80-100k maybe a bit more to fix it up so a 200k ish outlay for a bloody nice house but could make 300k easily depending on location and looking at the map its pretty out the way

to demolish and start again would lose the features people want

theres 100s of those round here

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:50:11 pm »
Depends on the state of the current construction; how much of it can be used, how much needs to be rebuilt; the standard of internal finish required etc. I put a roof on a self build in MK a few years back but the guy ran out of money because his wife had spent over £75k on bespoke kitchen and bathroom fittings! They had no carpets for two years plus half the house wasn't finished off with internal joinery.

Assuming the structure is completely sound, you could probably get it done for under £100k if you do a lot yourself.

Whatever you think your budget is multiply it by 3 and you should be OK

Barn conversions are usually quite build specific, i.e. it has to stay within the design of the original structure, so knocking it down and building a Potton may not be allowed by the planners.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:41:02 pm »
Cheers guys, useful information there. I was kind of hoping someone would say 50k but thats me being neive.

Back to searching.. Think i am being selfish and just want something big enough to accommodate my bus too. I like the quiet location of that place though..

We had a look at this today which is in the same village:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-20355668.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^19139&insId=1&pageNumber=4&backToListURL=/property-for-sale/find.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E19139%26insId%3D1%26index%3D30

Figured it was pretty good value..

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »
wisbech .....

real carrot crunching country......
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »
Quoting: Advert
Propane gas central heating

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 11:51:03 pm »

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Cheers guys, useful information there. I was kind of hoping someone would say 50k but thats me being neive.

Back to searching.. Think i am being selfish and just want something big enough to accommodate my bus too. I like the quiet location of that place though..

We had a look at this today which is in the same village:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-20355668.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^19139&insId=1&pageNumber=4&backToListURL=/property-for-sale/find.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E19139%26insId%3D1%26index%3D30

Thats cheap compared to MK for the size of house; 3 big bedrooms (well, for a new build anyway) but suprised they didn't squeeze an ensuite in there.

Looks like plenty of space down the side of the garage for additional hardstanding?

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 05:43:22 pm »
Quoting: Big Mouse
Thats cheap compared to MK for the size of house; 3 big bedrooms (well, for a new build anyway) but suprised they didn't squeeze an ensuite in there.

Yeah, it has potential, i figured you could extend over the garage to add extra room up-stairs if you wanted to.

Quoting: Big Mouse
Looks like plenty of space down the side of the garage for additional hardstanding?

Yah, one of the reasons I liked it was because of the outside 'property', its not huge but compared to MK as you say for the money it is okay..

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »
if your prepared to go through a couple of years of stress work stress hasstle work and more stress you will have a cracking home out of it not being sarky thats just novice property developing could definately be worth lots of research to see whats involved

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:19:04 pm »
Quoting: Gator
if your prepared to go through a couple of years of stress work stress hasstle work and more stress you will have a cracking home out of it not being sarky thats just novice property developing could definately be worth lots of research to see whats involved

Yep, I think you are right with the work stress thing.

It's not like we are going for it, I was just slightly interested

Roadkill

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:34:57 am »
Bear in mind that self-builds / renovations / conversions ALWAYS go over budget.

Ever watched "Grand designs" ?