Author Topic: GMC MOT.  (Read 926 times)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:41:14 am »
OK gotta start getting the GMC ready for next months MOT
Thought I'd put these shiney bits on first :

Drop in yet another set of shoes and determine if there's any chance of the exhaust system being bodged up enough to pass.

Then it's onto the steering ball joints which are slacker than a Luton divorcee's underwear , already replaced the upper trackroad arm and pitment arm joints. It just doesn't seem able to cope with the state of the British roads
I suspect the top & bottom ball joints may be knackered as well , are well there goes another few days holiday

Roadkill

GMC MOT.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:56:43 am »
That's bad news, mate . . . As you say I'd guess it's struggling with the U.K roads.

Have you considered looking into returning it to closer its stock height ?

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:02:42 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
Have you considered looking into returning it to closer its stock height ?

Or airride?

Roadkill

GMC MOT.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:04:58 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
Or airride?

I was gonna say that but was thinking more of a "quick fix".

You could probably just swop-out the springs and the height/ride would be much improved with little out-lay.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 10:06:07 am »
or just sell it on mate

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 11:06:52 am »
OK new rear drums on , the shoes were OK

They go nicely with the refurb I did on the front calipers last month : [img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Misc/DSC00382.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>The exhaust has been bodged with some gum-gum stuff , still thinking about using some of Finlay's stainless steel tubing and bends to make a new one , but I haven't got a suitable welder. [img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Misc/DSC00384.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>Oh and I crushed my finger against the trolley jack : [img]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c294/fbody007/Misc/DSC00385.jpg\" border=\"0\"  alt=\"\" width=150>Good job I had thick gloves on and now I can wear one the kids Action Man sticking plasters [img]http://www.mkb.cc/forum/smileys/grin.gif" alt="" border="0" onload="NcodeImageResizer.createOn(this);" class="bbc_img" />

Having a spot of "tiffin" and they I'll have a detailed look at the front suspension.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:12:15 am »
Quoting: F Body
The exhaust has been bodged with some gum-gum stuff , still thinking about using some of Finlay's stainless steel tubing and bends to make a new one , but I haven't got a suitable welder.

Have a 150A mig, just need some stainless wire and your set to go mate

oh yeah and if you add 's' after [img ] it thumbnails the pics for you mate ;)

Roadkill

GMC MOT.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 11:14:11 am »
The exhaust has been bodged with some gum-gum stuff

No $hit !!!

I've done some impressive bodges in my time, but that takes the biscuit !

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 01:29:24 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
oh yeah and if you add 's' after [img ] it thumbnails the pics for you mate ;)

Hey I posted a picture - that took me years to learn

Quoting: Roadkill
I've done some impressive bodges in my time, but that takes the biscuit !

Can't weld rust !

I appear to have some slack in the two pitman arms , not horizontally but in the vertical axis ( up and down the spindles ).
If I can get some shims ( about 40mm dia with a 16mm hole ) I'll try shimming them ?
Did ring a couple of local  CHAV car parts shop and when I mentioned shims they didn't even know what I was talking about

Roadkill

GMC MOT.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:31:38 pm »
Shims D'is Da Old Skool, Mon.

That's why.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
GMC MOT.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:37:12 pm »
I appear to have some slack in the two pitman arms , not horizontally but in the vertical axis ( up and down the spindles ).
If I can get some shims ( about 40mm dia with a 16mm hole ) I'll try shimming them ?

Try and pump them full of grease, the tata's have the same problem so a mate of mine who used to service them would drill and fit a grease niple and pump it solid with grease. This is only a short term soloution although most of the fleet of tata's he worked on went on like this for years