Author Topic: DVLA / AKA Money Magnet  (Read 448 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:01:25 am »
Big so dont bother reading unless you want to, just needed to type this out, if anything, to annoy myself more at the stupid, pedantic, money grabbing DVLA.

Ive moved house and thought I would be a 'responsible citizen'/'do it by the book' and update my licence details, I was even going to send a new picture to make it more up-to-date.

Went on to the DVLA website and used their online updating service..  So i put the new house details in and old one along with most of my details but then it kept reaching a screen where it said it could not match my details When you try it 3 times it locks you out and asks you to call customer services.

So I call customer services (ON an 0870 national rate number ) and explain the situation.  They say that their database can not find the new house as its a newish build.  OK well not my problem..  So im told instead I have to send my licence with a form from the post office..  

Right, fine.  But heres the issue.  She says I need to send my photocard licence and the paper counterpart.  Well Ive just moved and I havent got my counter part, I cant even remember the last time I saw it.  So the DVLA go on to say I still need to send the photocard and form from the post office AND a cheque for £22 quid to change my address and get a new licence.  I said why do I now have to pay for something which was free a second ago, they explained that I have to send both parts back to be considered a whole licence and qualify for a free one.  I then asked if they change the address on the old counter part and photocard and send me the same ones back, they said no they would be destroyed and completly new ones sent out.

SO why the F^ck do I have to pay 22 quid to replace my old licence when they are sending me a completly new one anyway, which is free???

Can they not see how stupid this is??  If you LOOSE your licence and want to apply for a replacement, they charge 22 quid for a duplicate licence- fair enough, it makes people be more carefull with it.  BUT if you want to change your address which means a completly NEW licence, its free.  The old parts of your licence are not used, they are thrown in the bin and a totally new licence is sent back.  SO what difference does it make if I only have one part of the licence????????????????????????????????????

The only reason I can see that would justify this kind of stupidity is perhaps they are concerened that people would find someone's photocard and purposly change the address for some kind of identiy theft reason or to be a skum POS.  So maby they ask for both bits to confirm its the right person who needs to change it as most people dont leave the parts together.  However I know alot of people who do leave the parts together.

OR maby, the real reason is just a way to get yet MORE money out of us poor motorists by using 'red tape' excuses.  I can see why people just dont bother if they are making it so hard  to update details..  All I was trying to do was be legal and up-to-date.  You think most of the fkin pols/Lituanin/Romain over here have proper licences, with taxed and mot'd cars that have been properly registered??  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!  SO its the same as always, the people that have been living here for ages, middle class so to speak, trying to do things properly, again, get, screwed, over.  Its not so much its £22 quid, its more the fact I have already given them £180 something this year for my car tax and the system is stupid and doesnt encourages people to update their details.  Ok some people will say car tax is for roads and not for the DVLA, but we all know it doesnt even go on the roads.  Road tax imho should go on any service that is involved with your vehicle and the road.  

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:10:05 am »
Sorry but im gonna side with the DVLA on this one, if you loose your paper counterpart its not their fault you should have been more careful.

They are charging you for a new counterpart not the change of address, it just so happens your address is different.

Having never seen the paper part im guessing it doesnt have your address on it

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:24:10 am »
Quoting: 55starchief
Sorry but im gonna side with the DVLA on this one

Thought you would

if you loose your paper counterpart its not their fault you should have been more careful.

Your right.  

They are charging you for a new counterpart not the change of address, it just so happens your address is different.

I would just get on with it if the OLD paper part was used.  But its not.  Its thrown away and a totally new one is sent.  So why do I even need to send the old one back?  Its like saving them the hassle of throwing it away and doing it for them.

Having never seen the paper part im guessing it doesnt have your address on it

I didnt get this part - do you mean you dont have a paper part and you have never seen one or you asking about mine?  I figure mine must have my old address on..

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:27:28 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
I didnt get this part - do you mean you dont have a paper part and you have never seen one or you asking about mine? I figure mine must have my old address on..

i still have an original paper license

I would just get on with it if the OLD paper part was used. But its not. Its thrown away and a totally new one is sent. So why do I even need to send the old one back? Its like saving them the hassle of throwing it away and doing it for them.

The problem is that its not seen as a change of adress, you are missing a part of the license so there for they are charging you for a complete license the same if you damaged it or wanted a new one after endorcments have ended

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:31:23 am »
i still have an original paper license

Ah right..  I thought they had to get updated to a photocard one?

The problem is that its not seen as a change of adress, you are missing a part of the license so there for they are charging you for a complete license the same if you damaged it or wanted a new one after endorcments have ended

It all just stinks of making money for the sake of it and using proceedures and regulations as an excuse.  

More than anything it just p1sses me off the fact I have already payed alot of money for road tax, and pay a crap load every week for fuel tax.  Surely that should go towards things like this.  Also like I said, its seems to be always the good guy who gets screwed over for stuff like this.  I bet most of the PL number plates in the carpark have no insurance, let alone the DVLA knowing who they even are in the first place

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:17 am »

Ah right.. I thought they had to get updated to a photocard one?

If you change any details on them then yes that is correct, otherwise there is no current rule to say you MUST update to a photo one!!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:52:50 am »
Have to agree with the DVLA as well on this one.  Sorry

Man I never thought I'd ever say that

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 12:36:36 pm »
Sounds about right

The photocard licence is a completely useless anyway  
If you hire a car or provide ID no one wants the photocard, only the paper one

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 12:42:37 pm »
Quoting: F Body
Sounds about right  

Usefull as ID everywhere else though.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:44:41 pm »
Quoting: Incursus

Well it has been suggested that it was a covert way of introducing ID cards

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 12:46:40 pm »
Quoting: Incursus

only place i have ever been asked for ID is in the usa and not even that the last couple of times

Roadkill

DVLA / AKA Money Magnet
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 12:48:51 pm »
Quoting: F Body

Although I can see both sides of this arguement.

(Which is unusual . . I'm not normally on the fence . . . . . . . . . . . It's scary up here !)