Author Topic: Gaming Laptops ?  (Read 2755 times)

Roadkill

Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »
Quoting: Kenny
6% over £599

That's £36 off of £600

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 12:49:09 pm »
If your certain on going the PC route i would simply update your desktop. Cheap notebooks are gona give you 18months before something dies. Batteries are usualy the 1st to go followed by the HD. Remember that everything has been shrunk down to fit in a small case. I went he PC laptop route 3 times twice with dells and lastly with a custom built one all died and its not like you can even sell the parts on afterwards

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 12:52:01 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
If your certain on going the PC route i would simply update your desktop. Cheap notebooks are gona give you 18months before something dies. Batteries are usualy the 1st to go followed by the HD.

Exactly what happened to mine and then you also have the Wi-Fi security issues

Kenny

• Ho
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 12:52:41 pm »
Personally i've never had any problems with a PC once i've built it.  And i've never had a problem with my work dell laptops either (and i use that for 8-10hrs a day 5 days a week).

I guess i've either been lucky, or this whole 'PC's are unstable' thing is just nothing more than the fact everyone has a PC so the probability of hearing about a failure is stupidly high.

I guess, until there are as many macs out there as there are PC's we will never know which are truly the most reliable...

Just a thought...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 12:59:22 pm »

Personally i've never had any problems with a PC once i've built it. And i've never had a problem with my work dell laptops either.

I guess i've either been lucky, or this whole 'PC's are unstable' thing is just nothing more than the fact everyone has a PC so the probability of hearing about a failure is stupidly high.

I guess, until there are as many macs out there as there are PC's we will never know which are truly the most reliable...

I used to build my own right up until windows 95 came out, i hate the fact that the OS was supposed to do stuff but didnt. I still have endless problems on th PC platform like the datacard not being recognised as such and not working cause windows thinks it knows better and says its a storage device or the way it wont assign the correct drive letter to a USB stick the list goes on including the whole virtual memory thing where windows is supposed to manage it but doesnt

With the mac i dont have any of this crap and i prefer that. Im bored with trying to make things work when they should just work.

Right now my dad has the computer company trying to figure out why a laptop wont connect to the server on its wireless connection once again its going to be something stupid in the OS

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 01:29:56 pm »
I just knew this would turn into Mac vs PC war
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 01:32:50 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan

I dont see that, i have just tried to explain that a cheap laptop is not the way forward.

Makes no difference to me if he buys a mac or a PC i have no financial gain either way.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 01:55:11 pm »
Lies..  55sc = Steve Jobs

I want a powerbook...

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 02:30:43 pm »

Personally i've never had any problems with a PC once i've built it. And i've never had a problem with my work dell laptops either (and i use that for 8-10hrs a day 5 days a week).

Tis very true, i have only had very very few problems with my own custom built kit, and TBH most of it was due to age nothing more....

I think that if you use good quality components and check they all are compatable before buying you should have very very few, if any, problems.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 02:33:48 pm »
i have just tried to explain that a cheap laptop is not the way forward.

Well yes and no - it really all comes down to what the individual wants - if all you want is a portable machine that surfs the net then a cheap laptop will do - why spend double, if not more on a mac when all u want to do is surf and email...

If you want graphics not games then its a very close call.......gaming - well PC is the best option there IMO....

trying to match what people want with what is best in terms of cost effectiveness, functionality and features is never an easy thing - thats why when ever i have supplied macines for people my first question is what do you want to do with it.....games, internet, email, photo manipulation etc....

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 02:41:17 pm »
The ideal solution for deano is a desktop PC but he doesnt want the space it uses.

Its going to have to be a compromise.

As stated earlier i would take the imac, i know it can run windows and cover the games area and CAD. For surfing and email you wont need to worry about spyware and virus attacks and above everything else it looks frikin sweet and wont take up the entire room. Plus it runs itunes and works with the ipod as it was designed together and is from the same manufacturer. The PC stil doesnt always like to play nicley with itunes

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 02:48:24 pm »
id get an imac dean, you can always stick windows xp on it and then you havent got to learn anything new.. i think you can get a 20" for around £700 but in a year it'll still be worth £550 at least.  A pc laptop wont be worth half of what you're speding to buy it..

If you buy an apple from the reurb store you get the same warrenty etc and theyre mostly actually new, damaged box is replaced and it instantly becomes refurb therefore 15% cheaper..

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 03:00:01 pm »
I could always buy it for you through my business and wash out the VAT portion of the cost; that means you could possibly go higher spec than you originally costed for?

I don't mean it as a present, before someone comes up with it

Roadkill

Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 03:02:32 pm »
i have just tried to explain that a cheap laptop is not the way forward.

£650 wouldn't be a "cheap" laptop.

But, still.  I dunno.  I've heard about laptops failing, fair enough, but £650 should get me a more then reasonable one.

The most it's going to be used is maybe an hour or two a day, nothing too stressful and Dell, for example, offer up to four years' cover on their gear.

Quoting: Big Mouse
I could always buy it for you through my business and wash out the VAT portion of the cost; that means you could possibly go higher spec than you originally costed for?

Very kind of you, mate.

Well worth considering - I believe Dell (business) still offer laptops running XP whereas Dell (home) only offer Vista <shudder>

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 03:18:42 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
I've heard about laptops failing, fair enough, but £650 should get me a more then reasonable one.

The most it's going to be used is maybe an hour or two a day, nothing too stressful and Dell, for example, offer up to four years' cover on their gear.

Yeah laptops are more prone to failures than desktops but the rate is higher because laptops are subjected to more abuse than desktops i.e. dropping them, jostled around in car  boots etc etc....so if you are using at home and are careful it should last just as long as a Desktop would in perfeect conditions..

four years' cover on their gear.

Take the cheapest cover they offer for shortest period as spares for dells are very readily available...and i've worked a heck of a lot on dell laptops at previous companys

Well worth considering - I believe Dell (business) still offer laptops running XP whereas Dell (home) only offer Vista <shudder>

Yeah but i think that as an option you can choose XP rather than vista still??

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »
As already stated, i made my decision 6 years ago and have never looked back. I have my new macbookpro and know its gonna last another 6 years minimum so im happy.

At the end of the day ts your hard earned cash so spend it where you like

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:13 pm »
What about one of these new corona laptops ive been hearing so much about

Roadkill

Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 03:30:57 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
Take the cheapest cover they offer for shortest period as spares for dells are very readily available...and i've worked a heck of a lot on dell laptops at previous companys

A years free cover is included . . . .  

Yeah but i think that as an option you can choose XP rather than vista still??

No, at least, it doesn't offer it on that link I originally posted.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 03:33:47 pm »
I still hve my Toshiba T1000 purchased new by me back in 1987

I believe its still at my parents place in the roof space, i did ditch the CGA monitor i also had for it

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 03:34:54 pm »

Thats how dell gets you, it hooks you with a price and then when you go to order offers a shit load of stuff and the price is never what is advertised.

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2008, 03:51:46 pm »
Are you sure you don't have shares in mac?

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2008, 04:01:59 pm »

As already stated, i made my decision 6 years ago and have never looked back. I have my new macbookpro and know its gonna last another 6 years minimum so im happy.

At the end of the day ts your hard earned cash so spend it where you like

Yeah indeed mate you like them and they do exactly what you want so

What about one of these new corona laptops ive been hearing so much about

hahha

A years free cover is included . . . .

That will do then

Hmmm strange - did u go through to the customisation bit of it??

Quoting: Big Mouse

Are you sure you don't have shares in mac?

Roadkill

Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2008, 05:10:02 pm »
Hmmm strange - did u go through to the customisation bit of it??

Yep, both on the business and home side . . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2008, 05:38:54 pm »
hmm strange...

Losty

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
Gaming Laptops ?
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »
http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.aspx/tabid-2/

the shuttles are about the size of a shoebox!

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Systems/Shuttle/

barebone systems comprise of case/psu/mobo/heatsink

you add the gfx, hd, and optical and ram

i sold my one about 4 years ago, and wish I hadn't