Author Topic: Update on my engine rebuild  (Read 543 times)

yorkshirespud

• View Profile
Update on my engine rebuild
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:52:44 pm »
I thought I'd post some more pictures of how my engine rebuild has progressed, which is now literly a couple of housrs away from the fire up party.

Here's the March Pulley Serpentine system taking shape

Then I got the correct A/C compressor to fit, and added some new rad hose

The stock rad shroud and viscous fan has been junked for a heavy duty PermaCool twin electric fan setup

Had some silly little bits left to do, such as put the power steering / hyrdroboost brakes reservoir somewhere. The March system assumes an in-reservoir p/s pump, but the 454 1-tons have a separate high capacity reservoir due to the shared steering / brake duty, plus the pump itelf has the normal high pressure port and return, but also has an extra low pressure return and the pipe to the reservoir.

I had to put it somewhere so made up a simple bracket

and fitted it to an existing intake bolt

Also finished the wiring and fitted the new battery. Just need to put some HT leads on it, and reconnect the computer and TPS and MAP sensors, and fire it up. We tried turning it over, put the new starter motor didn't seem to connect to the flex plate. We'll have another look at it next time we go down to the yard, because I'm not leaving next time I go there until it's running!!

Roadkill

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 10:50:47 pm »
Looks very Pro, Mate.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:06:01 am »
looking very nice mate, bet you cannot wait to have it al running again!!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:12:33 am »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the 2nd space on the crank pulley for the water pump?

Keep the project updates coming - makes good early-morning-at-work reading

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

yorkshirespud

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 12:45:13 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Is the 2nd space on the crank pulley for the water pump?

Yeah even though it's a 'serpentine conversion kit', there are still two belts instead of a true factory system with just one belt. It is all a LOT cleaner than the original comedy factory belt system, which was an unbelieveable hodgepodge of 4 belts, some V-belt, some serpentine!

The new system has one belt for the water pump and alternator, and the other for power steering pump (which also runs the brakes in a hydroboost braking system!) and the a/c compressor, with an extra idler for routing.

The water pump is and a/c compressor are new, but I have managed to reuse the alternator and HAD to reuse power steering pump as it is riculously rare. If you look carefully in the second picture you will spot the power steering pump with the reservoir port out of the top has been 'reconditioned' by me with a wire bush, some primer, and gloss black paint

It used to look like this ...