Author Topic: Nice Cheap Desktop PC  (Read 4592 times)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:31:50 am »
Not a bad spec either - Pent Dual Core 3ghz, 2Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard disc ... might be worth looking at this dean....fairly easy to pop a higher end Graphics card in....

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239782

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:57 am »
Or just do what I did and dump one of these in your current case

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-amd-performance-bundle--includes-m4a78lt-m-motherboard--amd-phenom-ii-x2-560-be---2gb-ddr3-memory--73GY.html

£155 and I have a £10 off voucher valid till the 17thOct

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:52 am »
Reminds me must sell off my old CPU and RAM.  Looking in Ebay I should get most of the money back from my "forced" upgrade.

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:34:42 am »
Quoting: ianjpage
Not a bad spec either - Pent Dual Core 3ghz, 2Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard disc ... might be worth looking at this dean....fairly easy to pop a higher end Graphics card in....

\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239782

What about a GFX card ??

Looks good - What else would I need ??

Will either / both play "the new stuff" - new GTA, that new Battlefield game . . . ?

I should really pay more attention to P.C stuff as I'm not that dense . . .

Quoting: Incursus

Can't do it that quickly.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:55:40 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
Is that better ?

Yes. Faster Processor with considerably more Cache etc and faster RAM, about twice the speed I believe with lower power consumption.  As you already have the Case and Hard Drive etc its a no brainer.  

Not sure on the Motherboard on the Ebuyer system but the Dabs one will already support 6 core CPU's so a little bit future proof.

I bought a new Power Supply as well mostly as its possilble the old one blew up my Motherboard but also because it was 7 years old.  The new one was less than £15 and I cant belive how much quieter it is But i'm guessing yours is more than 300W so should be fine.

Will either / both play "the new stuff" - new GTA, that new Battlefield game . . . ?

Dunno I don't really play games.  Probably more to do with the graphics card tbh.  I'm sure you could easily pay anther £150 for one of those...

I bought one for £50 a couple of years ago wouldn't play the new GTA game but then neither did anyone elses.  Played every other game I borrowed off my brother though. Star Craft2 is brand new and ran with no problems on my old system

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 08:58:23 am »

Can't do it that quickly.

Well they've sent me a few over the last few months so you never know...

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:11:05 am »
Well they've sent me a few over the last few months so you never know...

My window will be between October 28th (payday) and November 4th !

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 09:14:38 am »
That aint a bad price for the kit, would need new PSU though as i'm pretty sure deans current one is a Pentium 4 one therefore different connectors.

Not sure on the Graphics card on either of them, as both are on board and may not be up to BF2 or more recent game standards....but a good, cheap Gfx card would be sub 150ish.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:47:47 am »
That aint a bad price for the kit, would need new PSU though as i'm pretty sure deans current one is a Pentium 4 one therefore different connectors.

I'm pretty sure they're all ATX form factor these days  20pin plus 4pin for the CPU.  Every PSU i've had has the cables for both.

BF2 or more recent game standards....but a good, cheap Gfx card would be sub 150ish

Yeah your old AGP Graphics card wont work on the new motherboard (can't see the spec's on the Ebuyer one)
Could disable the GFX card on mine and try BF2 on mine using the onboard.  My 2 year old NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT does the job probably get it for about £30 now

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:52:42 am »

I'm pretty sure they're all ATX form factor these days 20pin plus 4pin for the CPU. Every PSU i've had has the cables for both.

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »
Can anyone (maybe Ryan) suggest a reasonable but fairly cheap GFX card ?

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 05:34:09 pm »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 11:45:47 pm »

hmm, na, for that money you'd be better off with one of these, its a much newer spec and twice the RAM, faster clock speed & RAM etc, it also has an HDMI output if you'd ever need one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-105-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1863

For Circa £100 there's these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-142-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1854

or from ATI

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-216-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1515
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-122-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1515

I would recommend paying the extra £30-35 if you can and get one of the last 2, the ATI Cards, they have 4x the stream processors of the NVidia ones, (can handle more data)
These cards are very comfortably above the Box-spec for Battlefield Bad Company II and will happily play anything modern.

The £100 ish cards are also Direct X 11 compatible, which BFBC2 uses and all new games will also be using, it doesn't affect older games but allows you to use some of the "shiny new" gfx features in new games.

The 2 ATI cards are identical, just from 2 manufactures who are pretty equal, it just depends if you wanted a blue one or a red one...
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 07:00:47 am »
Quoting: FUBAR
hmm, na, for that money you'd be better off with one of these,

Furry muff.  Was a very quick google on budget GFX card
Thought most systems wouldn't make much use of anything over 500MB RAM as the average system doen't have the bandwidth to cope.  But as I say I'm a little old out of touch

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 10:21:01 am »
O.K . . . So . . .If I brought :

For £64

and

For £155

Total £219

How up-to-date would I be . . . . In layman's term - what games could I play ?

Because that strikes me as a pretty good deal.

What about O/S - 'cos I f*cking hate Vista . . . I'm guessing XP is a bit too Oldskool, now ?

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:26:56 am »

What about O/S - 'cos I f*cking hate Vista . . . I'm guessing XP is a bit too Oldskool, now ?

Depends on the hardware as i found that alot of my slightly older components were NOT Windows 7 compatible, so XP maybe your best bet...will still work fine!

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 10:27:56 am »

O.K . . . So . . .If I brought :

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-amd-performance-bundle--includes-m4a78lt-m-motherboard--amd-phenom-ii-x2-560-be---2gb-ddr3-memory--73GY.html

For £64

and

Quoting: FUBAR
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-105-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1863

For £155

Total £219

How up-to-date would I be . . . . In layman's term - what games could I play ?

Looks good deal and i'd think youd be able to play most, if not all of the current games we all tend to use (BF2, BFBC2, FO2UC etc)

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 11:12:43 am »
Then

There may be a last minute mad rebuild going on.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 11:26:42 am »

Then

There may be a last minute mad rebuild going on.

LOL a lan's not a proper lan without some aspect of pc rebuilds / reinstallation ehhe!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 11:59:23 am »
What about O/S - 'cos I f*cking hate Vista . .

All hail the mighty XP

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 12:13:21 pm »
Quoting: F Body
All hail the mighty XP  W7

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »

Bare in mind it only comes with 2GB RAM.  I just bought another 2GB for a smidgen under £40.

Depends on the hardware as i found that alot of my slightly older components were NOT Windows 7 compatible, so XP maybe your best bet...will still work fine!

Yeah but he will have all new components.  Just sold my extra copy of W7 to Andrew for £30.  But it did appear to come with 2 product codes... I do have a genuine copy of Vista around somewhere.

What about O/S - 'cos I f*cking hate Vista

Stick with XP then as W7 isn't all that much different from Vista, just more reliable and a few more features.

Roadkill

Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 02:29:25 pm »
Bare in mind it only comes with 2GB RAM. I just bought another 2GB for a smidgen under £40.

Hmm - good point.  Worth adding for £40.

Stick with XP then as W7 isn't all that much different from Vista, just more reliable and a few more features.

There's some nice features on Vista . . . It just seemed to have some odd quirks to it . . . maybe I just need to get used to it or maybe it was just "quirky".

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Nice Cheap Desktop PC
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »
Quoting: Titsy

Quoting: F Body
All hail the mighty XP W7

snow leopard...ftw....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon: