Author Topic: Andy / Mondeo Clutch  (Read 2829 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:31:41 pm »
Andy / anyone else who knows - How easy is it to change the clutch on a '97 1.8 petrol Mondeo?

Any special tools required?

Any one-off consumable needed like seals / locktight etc?

The one in my Mondeo has been slipping for a while and on the way back from Norfolk it is now slipping through all gears

Ughhhhhhhh

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 01:54:20 pm »
Not looking good

"Ford official time for a clutch change is 4.2 hours. Unless you have done this before, I'd bank on it taking you at least twice that.

In theory it is do-able by a home mechanic, but as there is limited clearance around the gearbox, you need to drop the sub-frame and that means the cars got to be raised high enough for you to work comfortably and safely under it. For this reason, it is way better to do the job on a hoist.

Unless the pinch bolts on the bottom of the steering knuckles have been off recently (to change wishbones etc) you run the risk that they will snap/strip, which may mean drilling them out.

As with all mechanics, it all boils down to nuts and bolts, but you should expect some of them to be a complete arse to get out and will need to be capable of resolving stuck/stripped/snapped bolts. If thats beyond you, take it to a garage"

http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/755447/

" dropping the subframe isn't a problem just get the alignment tool cost 10 15 quid if that "

"I got my clutch changed for £230 which included two new sub frame bolts as the threads on the old ones stripped as they put them back in. The guy also told me that as Mondeo TD clutches are cheap as taxis seem to got through them!!"

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 02:49:04 pm »
Thanks for researching that for me FB , fordmondeo.org was my next stop..

Looks like its a professional garage job I need the car to do farily big miles to and from the commute for my new job, so I can't have it off the road for a week whilst I slowly repair it myself... Typical eh..

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:57:54 am »
there are clutch centres around ,
that should be able to sort a mondy....they musta done hundreds....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:41:23 pm »
Yah I'm going to call round for quotes tomorrow

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:19:28 pm »
BTW, Any recomendations good honest garage?

Can be MK or Northampton or Wisbech / Peterborough area..

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:30:29 pm »
Had mine changed about 40k ago, really is a garage job to be honest unless you have a set of ramps and/or happy with dropping the sub frame. You don't need to remove the trans completely but do need to move it over go one side of the bay. You should be looking around the £250 mark at Mr Clutch for it.

Just as a side note, the mechanic that changed mine (bit of a mondeo fan) replaced the lower wishbone bolts the other way around. I believe it's the gearbox end, thats because if you need to change the bushes there isn't enough clearance on the other side to get the bolt out without raising the engine and trans.

Btw, on fordmondeo.org all the time

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:43:39 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Can be MK or Northampton

theres a mr clutch in npton[dunno wot their like] ...or nathan @ paragon

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:07:50 pm »
Quoting: Andy
Just as a side note, the mechanic that changed mine (bit of a mondeo fan) replaced the lower wishbone bolts the other way around. I believe it's the gearbox end, thats because if you need to change the bushes there isn't enough clearance on the other side to get the bolt out without raising the engine and trans

Nice tip, there is a knock at the front which I think may be the bushes - haven't looked yet..

Quoting: art b
nathan @ paragon

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 11:23:58 pm »
Nice tip, there is a knock at the front which I think may be the bushes - haven't looked yet..

I think you have to hacksaw a bit off the end of the bolt as the recessed area is only deep enough for the bolt head.

Have you got a copy of the Mk2 Haynes manual?

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 11:34:31 am »
Have you got a copy of the Mk2 Haynes manual?

Yah its in the boot

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 01:00:20 pm »
Hmm prices so far are indicating that I have to buy a tempory car as a run-about and do the clutch myself slowly..

Mr Clutch Northamton - 0845 078 3919

Including Master Cylender Hydralic Clutch..
£362.84

Ref: 8012

_____

Wizzy £400

_____

Crystal Motor Company Ltd

Tel: 01604 708881
Calling me back...

____

Clutch Kit cost - including centric cylinder..
Wilco Spares - Wisbech  £127.43

____

R M Clutch & Gearboxes

Tel: 01733 324419 | Peterborough, PE4 6GD

£300

___

Anyone have any more suggestions or perhaps know of a cheap honest run-about for sale?

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 01:05:12 pm »
Anyone have any more suggestions

Don't tow large trailers with a VW Bus on it

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 02:21:40 pm »
Quoting: F Body
Don't tow large trailers with a VW Bus on it

To be fair to the Ford, the clutch was already slipping before I towed the bus - so in fairness, it did pretty well to tow that weight with a slipping clutch.. Problem is now it slips in every gear and it's a challange to get above 45 mph

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 04:28:31 pm »
Well it is possible in as DIY but you'd need an engine hoist suitably tall enough axle stands or someones kind use of a set of ramps.

Unfortunately the MEG site has gone down otherwise there are a couple of threads of guys who have done it in their front gardens.

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 04:31:23 pm »
And if it's slipping in 4th and 5th, sounds like it's down to the rivets which is only going to exacerbate the problem. I know not helpful but it will eventually renderer it undrivable at the first incline.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 05:03:40 pm »
Anyone have any more suggestions or perhaps know of a cheap honest run-about for sale?

I know of some at around £1400.... probably not cheap enough eh?

Still have a Skoda woth no MOT or Tax

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 08:38:21 pm »
Well it is possible in as DIY but you'd need an engine hoist suitably tall enough axle stands or someones kind use of a set of ramps.

Why do you need an engine hoist? I was planning to hold the engine up with some bricks.. ? Or does it have to go higher than that?  

I'm not really wanting to do it on my own to be honest - I have more than enough work to do on the bus and a new job to be messing around fitting a new clutch to the dailey driver

Unfortunately the MEG site has gone down otherwise there are a couple of threads of guys who have done it in their front gardens.

I'll keep checking and look for that thread..

And if it's slipping in 4th and 5th, sounds like it's down to the rivets which is only going to exacerbate the problem. I know not helpful but it will eventually renderer it undrivable at the first incline.

Yerrr, its down to a crawl, can't get the revs high at all.. Hills will not be good..

Quoting: Fieldy
I know of some at around £1400.... probably not cheap enough eh?

Depends what they are dude?

Still have a Skoda woth no MOT or Tax

Might have been interested with an MOT....

or nathan @ paragon

Still wondering about this guy Art?

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:24:14 pm »
Why do you need an engine hoist? I was planning to hold the engine up with some bricks.. ? Or does it have to go higher than that?

I was of the belief you needed to support the engine from above and drop the subframe to gain access from underneath. I believe thats the only way to get enough room to separate the gearbox from the engine.

Did Mr Clutch give you that as a fixed price or an estimate? Can try the one thats down the road from me here in High Wycombe see if they're any better but it would be one heck of a trek.

You'll probably be able to pick up another Mk2 for about £5-600 that'll be a good'un but on the far side of 100k, if it is, avoid autos like the plague!!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 10:42:40 pm »
I was of the belief you needed to support the engine from above and drop the subframe to gain access from underneath. I believe thats the only way to get enough room to separate the gearbox from the engine.

Not totally sure, I am sure it's going to be a bitch of a job though..

Did Mr Clutch give you that as a fixed price or an estimate? Can try the one thats down the road from me here in High Wycombe see if they're any better but it would be one heck of a trek.

Thank you, but it was a fixed price with £20 quid off that price as a special voucher so £340 something - which is the cheapest so far

Understandable with the amount of work that I now understand it is and taking into consideration snapped bolts etc Shame it's not like the old Serrias!

You'll probably be able to pick up another Mk2 for about £5-600

This is the point exactly, IF it costs too much cash I may as well just get another tempory car.. Thing is, I know the car and like you I have tried to look after it with regular services etc - so maby it's worth 'investing' in rather than an unknown quantity of another used and abused run-about.. Arr the great second-hand car quandry

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 11:04:39 pm »
cp,..
re nathan @paragon

you have pm with details,

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 11:26:37 pm »
This is the point exactly, IF it costs too much cash I may as well just get another tempory car.. Thing is, I know the car and like you I have tried to look after it with regular services etc - so maby it's worth 'investing' in rather than an unknown quantity of another used and abused run-about.. Arr the great second-hand car quandry

should take into account other things as well, such as cam belt changes (can't remember if the petrol has a chain) as that'll be the next expensive service, then things like tyres and brakes.

I was fortunate with mine being an ex-company car that it had a fresh set of tyres and a clutch done. My old lady bought it, then sold it to me. I was in a similar position of whether to keep it or buy another second hand but Like you say, you could be buying a whole load of new troubles.

If you know your car, then I would stick with it. A clutch is a once in about 5-10 year consumable, and it'll keep you motoring happily for a long time.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 07:47:11 am »
Spoke to my pals today who have always had mondeos and maintained them themselves. Simply said, 'how simple is a clutch change job', 'a bitch' was the reply.
They did it in his mates garage with all the ramps and tooks and he said it was thefirst job he has done which he wouldn't again.

I then asked how much a mechanic would have charged and he guessed at £400 without me saying a figure. Just thought I'd tell you.

We have A Renault Laguna auto. Can't imagine it's what you're after.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:11 am »
Come on CP you could have had done by now

What I mean is that "if" you bought the parts today, that still leaves 5 days to get the job done

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 10:25:58 am »
cp,..
re nathan @paragon

you have pm with details

thank you sir, PM'd back...

should take into account other things as well, such as cam belt changes

Yep, you're right, they do have a belt and I did the cambelt earlier this year which was alot of expense and hassle..................

Spoke to my pals today who have always had mondeos and maintained them themselves. Simply said, 'how simple is a clutch change job', 'a bitch' was the reply.
They did it in his mates garage with all the ramps and tooks and he said it was thefirst job he has done which he wouldn't again.

Cheers Fieldy, at least that confirms it Planning to do it under the car without the right tools is sounding like a fail..

I then asked how much a mechanic would have charged and he guessed at £400 without me saying a figure. Just thought I'd tell you.

Glad you did, yep, right on. I've been getting £350 to £550 (from Formula 1 in Northampton ). At least I know thats the 'correct' professional charge..

We have A Renault Laguna auto. Can't imagine it's what you're after.

'we'? are you a trader now? You seem to have alot for sale