Author Topic: Andy / Mondeo Clutch  (Read 2834 times)

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 10:31:59 am »
Been searching MEG but can't find the thread where someone did a change in their drive and photographed it all.

All I'll say to not doing it yourself, is that are a number if vital parts that if they haven't been changed recently are liable to sheering and causing a lot more grief! Pinch bolts on the steering knuckles, subframe bolts, etc.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:22 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
'we'? are you a trader now? You seem to have alot for sale

always played around with cars here and there, mechanically minded however, not a chance.

There is a 525td BMW but a name has been put on that, still got a couple of vans

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 01:16:30 pm »
I'm just waiting back on a few phone calls then I can decide whether to pay to repair it OR store the Mondeo and get a tempory vehicle to get to work and do the clutch myself slowly..

Quoting: Andy
Been searching MEG but can't find the thread where someone did a change in their drive and photographed it all.

Thanks still...

All I'll say to not doing it yourself, is that are a number if vital parts that if they haven't been changed recently are liable to sheering and causing a lot more grief! Pinch bolts on the steering knuckles, subframe bolts, etc.

I know you're right, none of that has been changed recently meaning rounding and snapping fails all day...

Quoting: Fieldy
There is a 525td BMW but a name has been put on that, still got a couple of vans

OO.. TD
Any cheap vans? Or perhaps one that I could 'rent' for a while? I do like my vans...

Uber help though gentlemen, I thank you.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 06:14:47 pm »
It is V8Mad0 on here who wants the BMW, As far as I am aware, he still does. But, If he changes his mind, I will PM you with details and go from there, that is all I can do with that.

As for the vans, I have a guy coming tomorrow for the Vivaro and can't see 'renting' as a way to go, but, it is an interesting idea. As for the transit, it is way to big to be used daily

I have just been hit with a £400 bill on my truck, it hurts

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 06:43:35 pm »
if the clutch has got that bad, i'd budget for a new flywheel too, as its very likely you've destroyed the surface of the one you have.

if it s a solid flywheel you may possibly get away with having it skimmed, if its a dual mass, its game over for sure.

expect £300 - £600 for a dual mass, i'd expect £150 for a solid flywheel.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »
Quoting: art b
you have pm with details

Thank you for passing the details on. Spoke to Nathan today who was helpful but couldn't fit it in until next Thursday.. Got it booked in with a recommendation from a recommendation - £300, cheapest anyone will do. Got to go for it though as I need the car and it's just not quite worth gettifng a tempory car as I know this one and have looked after it!

Thanks to everyone for your help though, real helpful team effort!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 03:38:19 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
the clutch has got that bad, i'd budget for a new flywheel too, as its very likely you've destroyed the surface of the one you have

hopefully not as I do take it easy with the car.. Good point though..

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »
Top tip next time buy a Saab 900

The 900's inline four drives the front wheels, but it's mounted longitudinally and — get this — backwards. Translation: The engine looks like it would in a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive car, but everything is reversed. The water pump and belt-driven accessories are up against the firewall, mere inches from your feet. The flywheel and clutch are right behind the radiator and changing the clutch is a 30 minute job

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 10:23:20 am »
Quoting: F Body
The 900's inline four drives the front wheels, but it's mounted longitudinally and — get this — backwards. Translation: The engine looks like it would in a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive car, but everything is reversed. The water pump and belt-driven accessories are up against the firewall, mere inches from your feet. The flywheel and clutch are right behind the radiator and changing the clutch is a 30 minute job

REALLY?!

Well done to GM for thinking about on-going servicing of consumable components!

Have you got anymore informaiton / diagrams?

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2009, 12:34:46 pm »
Quoting: F Body

that's cool

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:12 pm »
Honestly, the Swedes! Is there any principle behind mounting an engine like that?

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 02:28:27 pm »
think how many serp belts you change compaired to how many clutches.... ditto cam belts..

doesn't seem like such a good design to me..

or you could go the italian route, and make EVERYTHING impossible to get to! try playing spot the rear cylinder head, and by default, spark plugs

dunno why i'm laughing, i have a cam belt to pay for in a few months

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2009, 03:16:49 pm »
Is that a V6?!

Thats bloody crazy, looks like you have to remove all the covers just to get any room to access the lower part of the engine.

Would've thought that would have a chain. Think the mondy V6's are chain driven.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 04:45:16 pm »
That is a tough engine to get too.....

My truck is Easy to work on

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2009, 09:21:38 pm »
Would've thought that would have a chain. Think the mondy V6's are chain driven.

I think they are a chain, but they are push-rods aren't they? So just a chain between crank and camshaft in the block?

Isn't your diesel a chain?

Chain =

Quoting: philoldsmobile
think how many serp belts you change compaired to how many clutches.... ditto cam belts..

doesn't seem like such a good design to me..

Yes, good point again..

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2009, 09:23:21 pm »
All sorted now thank you gentlemen

Actually have some power back in the car! I forgot how powerful it is (yeah, yeah, its not a V8 ). Clutch is much lighter and the biting point is back down the bottom rather than 1mm from the top

:sheep:

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2009, 09:38:13 pm »
Isn't your diesel a chain?

Nah, just a belt, biggest let down on this engine. Its practically bullet proof apart from that.

I think they are a chain, but they are push-rods aren't they? So just a chain between crank and camshaft in the block?

I thought the V6 had overhead cams, i could be wrong though.

Good to hear you have it sorted! It took me a while to get used to mine once the clutch had been changed. The biting point had come so high it was a bit of a shock and easy to stall.

Is yours a 1.8 or 2? Silver or black top?

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2009, 09:40:21 pm »
V6 Timing Chains

If you don't already have the Ford Wiki pages bookmarked, i recommend them

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 10:02:22 pm »
If you don't already have the Ford Wiki pages bookmarked, i recommend them

Quad cams! I see...

Roger that, bookmarking... Although not just yet, I haven't been home in two weeks, still on my lappy.. (I miss Leopard )..

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
Some of the articles on there are a bit suspect but most seem to be pretty good. The one about cleaning an Intercooler made me smile, the innocence of mxing petrol with a diesel engine is always funny.

Andy

Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2009, 10:15:45 pm »
Quad cams

They're not bad engines apparently, only let down was the early water pumps which were prone to losing their impellers with out it being obvious until the engine boils over.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 10:21:39 pm »
All sorted now thank you gentlemen

another happy punter.....

glad ur sorted...and ready to tow again.....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Andy / Mondeo Clutch
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »
They're not bad engines apparently, only let down was the early water pumps which were prone to losing their impellers with out it being obvious until the engine boils over.

thats a surprisingly common issue with many modern engines, and one reason a water pump is now usually a service item at cam belt time..

the usual issue is the plastic impeller is simply pressed onto the shaft, after a number of heat cycles, it cracks, releasing its grip at high RPM - you end up with a car that will sit still all day long, but boil as soon as you try and drive it.

the other issue is the blades of the impeller falling off (my brother had this on his leon cupra)