Author Topic: A Storm Is Brewing............updated 25-11  (Read 6610 times)

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
A Storm Is Brewing............updated 25-11
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2006, 05:14:42 pm »
Quoting: Finlay
So did ya get over boosting (Boost Creep) before you fitted a BOV because the overboosting can not be connected to the BOV at all

No the car had a recirculating valve as standard proper cars come with those mate audi,saab and porsche all use recirculating valves. With the recirculating valve in there was never any boost creep only when i fitted the dump to atmosphere did the car overboost and that was because the valve would only operate when i let off. If you have to let off your obviosley not trying hard enough

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dynoflow.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2006, 05:22:07 pm »
Id call it giving them a chance..lolay Pod

Still dont see how that happened...Unles the recirc valve
was part of the boost regulation system. (A stand alone unit on an early saab?)

The recirculating valve works in the same way!

Shifty

• Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2006, 07:48:00 pm »
Part of the problem might have been that when the auto box changed gear with the throttle still wide open as the reves dropped the turbo was still momenteraly spinning at the previous gears exhaust pressure therefor overboosting. This could potentialy cause the turbo to go into surge then try and stall which would definatly damage it.

Not completley sure what the efect of a recirculating and dump to atmos.. BOV whould have on this system, maybe the recirculaitng BOV would stabilise the turbo in this short period of overlap somehow.

lots of cars as of at least 16 years ago have had recirculating BOV as it increases life expectancy of the turbo thus reduces warenty claims, this is certainly true of the 1990 MR2 turbo and other turbo cars of that era i have worked on. Maybe this was only the case with well designed turbo systems.

Shifty, Yep any engine tuning will reduce engine life. its always a trade off.

Didnt mean the engine in general just ment the turbo. The above statment is in general true but if you do a good job in the first place there is no real reason why the engine wont last for just as long as it would have before tuning.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2006, 08:04:15 pm »
With the recirculating unit the boost guage would hang at about 9lb under normal driving and peek at 14.5lb on WOT but with the BOV the boost guage would start of at 9lb and just keep rising under normal driving even with gear changes it held the boost at 14.5lb and as a result the temp guage would climb into the red. As soon as the recerc valve was fitted everything work as normal

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2006, 08:35:24 pm »

Ian.... The Suspension kit does not come with new U bolts Ya will need them if you do that job... so Im on hold till I find some

DOH!!

Quoting: Pod

Quoting: 55starchief
Don't say i didnt warn you

I'd give up now. We all know what happened with the supercharger.

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2006, 07:35:49 pm »
So Ian, what you recon its going to run the 1/4 in ?

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2006, 10:16:19 pm »
well hopefully 12s as stock they are (AFAIK) 13s cars.....

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2006, 11:28:56 am »
Will be interesting, Are you running in the SRS next year?

Its been a long time since I ran a 1/4mile so loking forward to having a blast. Not quite got the hang of getting it off the line yet. Think the key is to hold it on the brake for no more than a second or so...

There might be a 1/4 Mile shoot out local to me soon on an old airfield, with mainly the jap owning lot..... Hope it happens as it will be a laugh

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2006, 11:36:55 am »

Will be interesting, Are you running in the SRS next year?

Would like to just depends on funds TBH

Its been a long time since I ran a 1/4mile so loking forward to having a blast. Not quite got the hang of getting it off the line yet. Think the key is to hold it on the brake for no more than a second or so...

There might be a 1/4 Mile shoot out local to me soon on an old airfield, with mainly the jap owning lot..... Hope it happens as it will be a laugh

yeah is good laugh so long as it dont break lol!!!

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2006, 02:06:37 pm »
UPDATE!!

All parst are now on order / obtained:

New rotor & dizzy cap ordered - a whole ten quid!!!

New set of NGK plugs on route to me for midweek

New rear gas struts for the tailgate coming midweek

New HT leads obtained today!

So far the bill is coming to about 60-70 quid.....

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2006, 02:53:10 pm »
I know what ya mean..... Damm expencive to keep these rare trucks on the road...lol

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2006, 03:48:56 pm »

I know what ya mean..... Damm expencive to keep these rare trucks on the road...lol

LOL well if ya would do things like put new suspension bits, engines mods etc hehehe

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2006, 09:25:43 pm »
well a semi good day - got the new rotor, dizzy cap and plugs fitted.....

Wot a bugger of a job - i think i ended up with 1 maybe 2 plugs that DIDNT break on me when removing them........all 6 plugs were absoutely black as black to boot and had loads of cracks in the ceramic!!!

Only thing i couldn't do was change the leads as the "generic" ones i got are too generic and dont fit the dizzy properly, so with 5 of the old leads and 1 new one (one of the old HT leads came apart in me hands!) it runs a damn site better, but still has the very occasional pop, so i think that once the new leads on it - should be sorted

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2006, 09:34:27 pm »
What Chip is it running if any, Ive just ordered the Ultimate for stock Injectors 3 bar map from www.sytychips.com

Im also looking into getting an External wastgate as the internal one is at its limit

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2006, 09:42:48 pm »
What Chip is it running if any, Ive just ordered the Ultimate for stock Injectors 3 bar map from www.sytychips.com

No idea mate - any easy way of checkin?

Im also looking into getting an External wastgate as the internal one is at its limit

Hmm daft question - where is it located as dunno if this one been changed ???

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2006, 09:45:52 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage

Waste gate is on the turbo its self, your looking for a actuator that operates a flap in the turbo t

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2006, 09:50:45 pm »

Quoting: ianjpage

Waste gate is on the turbo its self, your looking for a actuator that operates a flap in the turbo t

OK cheers - hmm could be interesting to try and locate this then seeing as its well hidden away lol!

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2006, 09:53:47 pm »

what are you talking about, external wastegates are normaly only used when boost is higher that 30psi i would be surprised if your motor is pushing more than 15psi. What you need to do is change the actuator. Hell i have seen cars running 28psi of boost still with the internal wastegate and no ill effects. You would be better of spending the money on a hybrid turbo but thats a whole different kettle of fish. If you start messing with the boost your gonna have detonation and before you know it a blown motor

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2006, 01:31:18 am »
For the record External waste gate systems are more expencive for the car industry to fit on a car so they dont in general.........Its nothing to do with the amount of boost. Its just economics in production. Each turbo model is different.

The Mitsubishi water cooled TD06 with 17C compressor wheel and 8CM turbine housing. Output rating: 550 cfm @ 14 psi has its design limits the waste gate is just one..Its SMALL. If you can get me a proven better actuator the wont crack the wastegate early then great...find it for less than £40

New chip set = More Boost control and better safety with a higher degree of timing retard and a faster responce. Plus better fuel delivery control and no fuel cut off at 14.7 psi!!! Fuel cut off is set at 3psi above programmed used which is from 10psi upto 20psi (10 programms including a stock emissions mode and also a restricted mode for when the wife has to drive it.... Im going to happly selecting 17psi an leave it there

New 3Bar Map = Nice for the engine to see whats happening past 14.7psi

New Wastgate = Looking into this and will see if I can get away with the stock setup... But its the cheapest way to control boost consistancy with out having the rod adjusted on the stock setup  which results in cracking open the waste gate earlyer and causing slower spool up. The reason for the concern is that the SYTY guys in the states that have been tuning for many years show  that the stock wastgate is at its limit of controlable flow. ie maintaining a constant level of boost on a fast spool up set

The stock engine is tuned for 91 octain fuel...... well you know the score here.

Im Buying in what has been used sucsessfully around the world by SY/TY owners, my source of info well.... Its all been done before with these trucks. And the tuning problems have all been solved years ago

Ian Im sure you have all this sorted already on your truck...Its already had a different turbo fitted so the waste gate issue will not apply

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2006, 11:23:07 am »

Ian Im sure you have all this sorted already on your truck...Its already had a different turbo fitted so the waste gate issue will not apply

OK fair enough - will have to see if i can see the wastgate just incase!!

Oh and what fuel you gunna run on normal 95 or super 97?

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2006, 12:06:31 pm »
Im mixing 95 and 97 for now...But once im running the slightly high boost I will stick with the 97 to 99 single malts

Better safe than sorry with the fuel, Also Im going to use the UR6XI irridum plugs as they look to be slightly better than the UR5XI (Irridium stock equivalent) as they run cooler

Just got to get the 3 Bar map sensor and also an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and crank it upto 50psi

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2006, 08:42:35 am »
AHh right kewl, may see what it like on normal unleaded when not dragging it then proper stuff when booting it !!

Finlay

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2006, 09:15:53 am »
At stock levels of boost you are fine to run 95 octain.

What ever you use..... they have a little bit of a drinking habit

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2006, 09:34:22 am »
Most turbo aplications will adjust the boost to the fuel rating as they run on the knock sensor, but hey what do i know

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2006, 11:29:32 am »
they have a little bit of a drinking habit

LOL wonder why!!

Most turbo aplications will adjust the boost to the fuel rating as they run on the knock sensor, but hey what do i know

Yeah fair play but always worth checking what best octane to run on tho!!!