Author Topic: 'Contaminated' Petrol?  (Read 1952 times)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »
Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:33:24 pm »
My mate claims that supermarket fuel is just like all the others but i've always been dubious......

Kenny

• Ho
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:37:19 pm »
afaik morrisons is supplied by Total.  not sure who supplies tesco..

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:38:10 pm »
Quoting: Rob
My mate claims that supermarket fuel is just like all the others but i've always been dubious......

same here, always had cars run crap on that stuff along with reduced mileage

Quoting: FUBAR

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Yup listening to it on radio 4 news on the weay home tonight

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 06:42:17 pm »
Quoting: News Report in Oct 2005
UK retailer Tesco plans to launch a new greener premium fuel, Super Unleaded 99 Octane.
The new Super Unleaded 99 Octane fuel will be rolled out across 100 Tesco forecourts in the southeast of the UK later in the year. The fuel, which contains 5% bioethanol, will be supplied by independent fuel company Greenergy and is set to rival the premium fuel types offered by major retailers such as BP and Shell.

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 06:46:52 pm »
Quoting: Titsy

Quoting: News Report in Oct 2005
UK retailer Tesco plans to launch a new greener premium fuel, Super Unleaded 99 Octane.
The new Super Unleaded 99 Octane fuel will be rolled out across 100 Tesco forecourts in the southeast of the UK later in the year. The fuel, which contains 5% bioethanol, will be supplied by independent fuel company Greenergy and is set to rival the premium fuel types offered by major retailers such as BP and Shell.

Are we to guess that someone got the blending wrong

Morrisons i am guessing would be the E85 again blending could be off causing the problems

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:47:48 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
Are we to guess that someone got the blending wrong

that would be a possible explanation...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:48:47 pm »
Quoting: FUBAR

possibly, that would be a possible explanation...

E85 / bioethanol needs to be a set % otherwise the ECM needs to be reprogrammed

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:50:33 pm »
Although...

Quoting: BBC News
But the AA said tests showed ethanol was not to blame and the cause of the problem remained unknown.

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 06:52:14 pm »
Quoting: 55starchief
E85 / bioethanol needs to be a set % otherwise the ECM needs to be reprogrammed

Not really, modern cars run off the O2 and Knock sensors, so they automatically adjust and learn all the time.

Kenny

• Ho
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 06:52:18 pm »

I've been using tesco's 99oct fule for the last few week  no problems though......

100 post

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »
Quoting: Kenny
100 post

yeay!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:16:41 pm »
100 post

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:17:53 pm »
100 post

Keep going to 120 and I think you shed your Newbie skin...

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:22:12 pm »
One of the things we learnt after the Bunsfield Explosion in Hemel Hempstead was that it supplied all major retailers.
The site is run by Texaco but supplies BP and Shell, Asda and most supermarkets.
Would you believe that the same high octane petrol is supplied to BP as to Shell as Optimax or V power as it's called now, the only difference is an additive that is added by hand using a jug on top of the tanker before it leaves for the garage
Shell of course maintain that there magic ingredants make all the difference
So don't kid yourself that buying from a PooPooMarket is any different than from a Branded Garage.
Also one wonders what stops the tanker driver adding the wrong mixture or too much or too less ??

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:23:27 pm »
Not really, modern cars run off the O2 and Knock sensors, so they automatically adjust and learn all the time.

All of the reading i did about E85 says otherwise mate. Its ok up to a certain %

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 08:28:23 pm »
Yup, which is why Tesco Super only contains 5% Bioethanol...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 08:32:04 pm »
Asda budgie diesel
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:18 pm »
Some info on adding Ethanol from Wikipedia:

Most of the downsides and big changes are regards to E85 which is a whopping 85% Ethanol and only 15% petrol, as opposed to 5% Ethanol.

The Tesco chain of supermarkets in the UK have started selling an E5 brand of gasoline marketed as 99 RON super-unleaded. Price-wise it is cheaper than the other two forms of high-octane unleaded on the market, Shell's Optimax (98 RON) and BP's Ultimate (97 RON).

Using alcohol fuels like ethanol, however, requires certain adjustments in car engines to be fully operational. Engine modification is not advisable for cars that use ethanol fuels in low concentration of up to 20%. But for E85, which is the declared concentration as alternative fuel, and Ee95, which is designed for high compression engines, modification is needed. When gasoline-only powered vehicles are loaded up with ethanol fuel, its computer systems, designed to read limited amounts of oxygen (ethanol contains greater amounts of oxygen), can be destroyed, thus creating engine problems. So motorists must first acquire a fuel flexible vehicle (FFV) by buying a new one or modifying the old, before deciding to switch to the cleaner fuel alternative that is ethanol.

E85
E85 is usually used in engines modified to accept higher concentrations of ethanol. Such flexible-fuel engines are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline or ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume. The primary differences from non-FFVs is the elimination of bare magnesium, aluminum, and rubber parts in the fuel system, the use of fuel pumps capable of operating with electrically conductive (ethanol) instead of non-conducting dielectric (gasoline) fuel, specially-coated wear-resistant engine parts, fuel injection control systems having a wider range of pulse widths (for injecting approximately 60% more fuel), the selection of stainless steel fuel lines (sometimes lined with plastic), the selection of stainless steel fuel tanks in place of terne fuel tanks, and, in some cases, the use of acid-neutralizing motor oil. For vehicles with fuel-tank mounted fuel pumps, additional differences to prevent arcing, as well as flame arrestors positioned in the tank's fill pipe, are also sometimes used.

The use of pure E85 in standard gasoline car engines may void the manufacturer's warranty, disrupt oxygenation control in fuel-injected cars, and result in power loss. It may also interfere with proper operation of the catalytic converter.
E85 can also cause engine damage, since prolonged exposure to high concentrations of ethanol may corrode metal and rubber parts in older engines (pre-1988) designed primarily for gasoline. In the United States, post-1988 fuel-injected cars are designed to accept E10 fuel, and may be tolerant of higher concentrations of ethanol to varying degrees, usually at least 20%.
Another risk is that of water contamination, which can produce engine wear directly and through corrosive formic acid in the combustion process. Oil and acid neutralizer additives can counteract these risks.
After-market conversion kits, for converting standard engines to operate on E85, are not legal to manufacture in the United States without EPA approval. Converted vehicles also usually require emissions certification, which is often not economically feasible.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 08:54:48 pm »
TBH i've never noticed a difference in cars regarding cheap v good fuel, but most  bikes i've had  (which are much more demanding of fuel, with higher compression and 11,500 rpm) always seem to run better on BP fuel...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 09:03:56 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile

TBH i've never noticed a difference in cars regarding cheap v good fuel, but most bikes i've had (which are much more demanding of fuel, with higher compression and 11,500 rpm) always seem to run better on BP fuel...

Yup having always owned turbo cars cheap fuel from the supermarkets doesnt cut it

***edit***

Super unlead plus octane booster for teh win!!!!!!1111111

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 09:05:24 pm »
I would have thought a high compression engine would have run better on E5...

55starchief

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 09:08:52 pm »
I know andy is building an E85 motor to race with, not sure what the comp ratio is

***edit***

Ok hes going to run 12-1

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 09:21:16 pm »
I run the Caddy on Super, so 97 or above.
I've always stayed away from Supermarket fuel and bought only from Esso, BP, Shell or Texaco.

I find the Caddy gives better gas mileage using 97+ instead of 95.

However, I have recently tried the Tesco 99RON stuff and ran a few tyanks of that (couldn't resist the price) and I haven't noticed any ill effects, I'd say it gives as good economy as the 97+ stuff.

BUT, Tesco should be advertising it as E5 if that's what it is.

Hving said that, if they had I probably wouldn't have bought it without doing research first.

Losty

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
'Contaminated' Petrol?
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 12:54:44 am »
I was worried when i read this, then remembered that i still haven't put any fuel in my car this year