6.3 litre V8 wins UK fuel economy run.

Started by F Body, October 11, 2011, 07:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F Body

Vauxhall's VXR8 is the unlikely winner of the Fleet World MPG Marathon, with an astounding 53 per cent improvement on the combined figure

Driven by Top Gear Online editor Chris Mooney with help from navigator, Andrew Duerden, Vauxhall's archivist and resident eco-driving expert, the V8-powered VXR8 registered 32.14mpg against a combined figure of 21mpg.

The Fleet World MPG Marathon is the UK longest-running economy driving event.  The two-day event took place in the Cotswolds this year with separate routes covering 350 miles of countryside including a mixture of A and B roads and motorway driving.

"Andrew and I are, as they say, over the moon to win the overall best percentage improvement in the VXR8," said Chris Mooney.  "It just goes to show that the person behind the wheel can make a massive difference to fuel costs and carbon emissions. And, of course, that a 6.2 litre V8 is a very sensible choice of engine in the right hands."

Amen to that

Chris and Andrew will pick up their trophy at a presentation at the Royal Automobile Club in Pall Mall, London on Wednesday.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/unlikely-vauxhall-v8-wins-mpg-marathon\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/unlikely-vauxhall-v8-wins-mpg-marathon

Roadkill

VIPER

The new VXR8 GTS is a stunning looking car.....

F Body

Quoting: VIPER
The new VXR8 GTS is a stunning looking car.....

Agreed but....................

It's just not £50K's worth of stunning

Although in the VXR's defence, I was rather surprised that a chap at the gym has a new Audi RS5, that with a few options cost £62k

philoldsmobile

its suprising how easy 50k is to spend on a premium car now, even more so 30K

you can spec any of the 'premium' C segment cars such as the Guilietta, A3, or a BMW 1 series to 30k without too much trouble...

I remember when 30K put you in an XJ6!!!!

VIPER

A regular VXR8 would do me...... With a blower of coarse.....

HardRockCamaro

A colleague at work recently revealed his newly purchased BMW 335 cost him £48,000

Yes a 335, not even an M3!  

I had thought the CTS-V was a bit overpriced at around 54k but as it sits in size between the M3 and M5 and is quicker than both, perhaps not...