Brooklands

Started by Flip Martian, June 01, 2010, 08:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flip Martian

Always meant to go and never got round to it - finally went on Sunday and had a whale of a time. Fabulous place, real sense of history all around.

Sunday coincided with a mopar club day so the place was full of Yanks - not just mopars but all kinds of stuff, with plenty I've not seen (mind you, I've only really been to Billing a couple of times now). Pics will be up on my smugmug gallery hopefully tonight or tomorrow (got some on facebook at the mo' but obviously that's not much use for anyone not on FB...)

EDGE

Quoting: Flip Martian
obviously that's not much use for anyone not on FB...)

who are these people not on face book ?

Incursus

Always meant to go and never got round to it -

Ditto
Sunday coincided with a mopar club day so the place was full of Yank

Doh!! miss it every year!

Ahh well next year...

philoldsmobile

brooklands is one of my fave automotive venues, you can actually taste the history there.

if you've not been, you really owe it to yourself to. Slightly odd location for mopars, as its steeped in Bently and brough superior history, and was in many ways one of the birthplaces of European Grand Grix racing, but its worth a visit no matter what is on. (odd as in being like having MR2's at Rockingham - not their native ground, but cool none the less)

the shocking thing is the surface really wasn't much better when the 24 liter napier - railton was charging round at over 140 mph in the early 30's and the banking really is THAT steep....

If you like cars, no matter what sort of cars, you really really need to go, you'll love it.

philoldsmobile

Flip Martian

Quoting: philoldsmobile
brooklands is one of my fave automotive venues, you can actually taste the history there.

if you've not been, you really owe it to yourself to. Slightly odd location for mopars, as its steeped in Bently and brough superior history, and was in many ways one of the birthplaces of European Grand Grix racing, but its worth a visit no matter what is on. (odd as in being like having MR2's at Rockingham - not their native ground, but cool none the less)

the shocking thing is the surface really wasn't much better when the 24 liter napier - railton was charging round at over 140 mph in the early 30's and the banking really is THAT steep....

If you like cars, no matter what sort of cars, you really really need to go, you'll love it.

Exactly. Really glad I went. The Yanks being there was a bonus. They DID look a little incongruous in what is a very "English" set up but it did mean we stayed there quite a bit longer than we otherwise would have done.

Photos should be up to give people a taster tomorrow night sometime.

Andy

Quoting: EDGE

Cunning Plan...

philoldsmobile

Exactly. Really glad I went. The Yanks being there was a bonus. They DID look a little incongruous in what is a very "English" set up but it did mean we stayed there quite a bit longer than we otherwise would have done.

at the end of the day, cars are cars, and anything that gets people into this great venue has to be a good thing.

its tragic to think we almost lost Brooklands all together - the origional plan was to turn it all into housing.

no respect for our motoring heratige in this country - especialy when you consider the UK leads the world in motorsport

Fieldy

Me

F Body

Quoting: Fieldy

Me

Monkey

only afew miles from me and been there afew times. many years ago when i was a wee lad i saw them run sum cars round the banking that was left....... just mad to see and very scarey

Flip Martian

The fact it was nearly turned into housing is just....awful. A good part of the track is still left in several places thankfully (just check it out on Google Earth).

Just off to London for the weekend but have now uploaded the best of what I took.

The shots of Brooklands and the planes:-
http://flipmartian.smugmug.com/Cars/Brooklands-2010/12436280_gF2vq\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://flipmartian.smugmug.com/Cars/Brooklands-2010/12436280_gF2vq

The shots of the cars:-
http://flipmartian.smugmug.com/Cars/Cars-at-Brooklands-2010/12436414_oWYN5\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://flipmartian.smugmug.com/Cars/Cars-at-Brooklands-2010/12436414_oWYN5