Author Topic: Ipad  (Read 1699 times)

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:18 am »
Anyone got one? Worth the bother?

Thinking of getting one, mainly for browsing. Are they any good or is it just hype.

Andy

Ipad
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »
Very good! But then I'm an Apple geek who can't afford one!

My friend has one and they're a lot easier than a full blown Macbook to manage. If you have an iPhone, just times it by 10 for screen size, I believe the performance is likewise too.

If you get a chance head into a tech shop with them on display and have a try, 90% of the features will work, just things like Wifi may be disabled which means you wouldn't be able to get on the internet.

Like an iPhone, the touch typing and gestures may take some time to get the hang of, had the same with my Macbook Pro, but as soon as you have the hang of it you'll be wondering why other laptops don't have the same features!

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »
Quoting: Motorama
Are they any good or is it just hype.

The Evangelical Apple Police will be arresting you for making comments like that, current Apple geeks will say that they are absolutely brilliant and you should go out and buy several

We have two on trial at work, OK if you like touch screens ( which I don't ), I still think it's easier to use a mouse, although you can plug one in, but that sort of defeats the object

Oh and we found out that don't bounce well on a concrete floor

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:05:57 pm »
Quoting: F Body
The Evangelical Apple Police will be arresting you for making comments like that, current Apple geeks will say that they are absolutely brilliant and you should go out and buy severa

I'm an ardent fan of the mac and the Ipod, but i've not quite worked out what the Ipad is for, and I dont like the Iphone at all....

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »
I love my Apple gear, but the iPad is not worth the near £500 price tag.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:03:38 pm »
same thoughts here, can't quite justify one yet....

Roadkill

Ipad
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
I reckon an Apple designer just spent too much time watching Star Trek T.N.G . . . . . .

Roadkill

Ipad
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:04:16 pm »

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Ipad
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 06:12:15 pm »
If you want to browse the web, do a bit of emailing, play some games and use all sorts of apps like you can on an iphone then it's great.
Better than a laptop for those activities imho.

If you want to edit photos, do your spreadsheets and so on then you want a laptop.

They start at about £400 so they're a fair option for sitting in front of the tv browsing the web as opposed to a nasty plastic pc laptop that heats up your lap and has the battery life shorter than your average movie...

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »
I have a very good desktop that i use day to day in my home office but of an evening it would be nice to use just for browsing, checking the forums and Ebay with keep having to leave the lounge and go the office. I'm not so fussed about the 3G as it would mostly be be used on the home wifi but i guess it makes sense to have the best you can afford and if its only another £100 or so for that and more GB

I'm not a massive fan of the Iphone either preferring a Blackberry for day to day business use.

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:01:29 pm »
If you can justify the money, they are good for what you want, but I can't justify £500 for a tablet computer....

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:14:01 pm »
Quoting: Fieldy
If you can justify the money, they are good for what you want, but I can't justify £500 for a tablet computer....

There lies the problem, justifying the money

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »
Look at it this way, if you buy one, use it 5 days a week, use it for some music around the house or even a book (Kindle app is brilliant) or a film, then, in 2 years time you sell it for £200, then it isn't so bad.

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 07:19:22 pm »
do you work in the Apple store?

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 07:25:52 pm »
No, but I used to get told off while working for Sony, in the laptop department, as I would send people down to PC World to buy a mac...

Motorama

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »
where's the cheapest/best place to buy an Ipad?

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »
The price is the same across the board, I know this because 2 weeks ago I tried buying one but my finance manager (My wife) stood in my way. I couldn't find one anywhere cheaper then the Apple store, all prices were the same wherever I, personally, looked.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »
I got both my mac and my ipod from apple stores (lakeside for the iprod, and MK for the mac), they were no cheaper anywhere else, but you know the staff are more knowledgeable about the products in the apple store, especially info on warranty etc.

plus the stores are

Andy

Ipad
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 11:29:11 pm »
Andy, I would recommend John Lewis.

Two reasons,
A) They'll have one in stock there and then and you'll be able to play with both on display.

B) all their electrical stuff comes with a 2 year warranty as standard from JL. Touch wood I haven't had to use it, but have heard they're very good with dealing with issues.

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
Ipad
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 07:51:05 am »
Given your intentions (home use only) I would buy one without 3G and get the base 16GB model unless you want to store a lot of movies on it (in which case I'd go for the 32).  The base model is around £400 or so.

Be aware that the 2nd generation iPad is *rumoured* to be appearing in March/April.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:03 am »
my lad has one ,
he bought it on the day they were released,
it sits mainly collecting dust while he uses his macbook,

he is gonna give it another two months to prove itself b4 it goes up for sale...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Ipad
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 01:10:51 pm »
I've been using my brothers iPad in the last week or so while he's been home from China & it is good, I used it for browsing the internet, ebay etc but only because my PC was broken at the time otherwise i'd never have touched it.

My Brother uses it for his teaching, he can prepare lessons & presentations etc on his PC (Not a mac) at home & then use the iPad & the class projector to run his lessons from.

He bought the ipad rather than any other purely because he says the battery life is considerably longer than any of the alternatives that he had available to him in Nanjing.

So I think thats it, if you can tick ALL of the following criteria:
- a teacher or do lots of presentations for work
- dont want to be carting a laptop around
- Still carry a 'Manbag' to carry the iPad in
- want mobile internet on a reasonable sized screen
- buy the 3G version
- Still have a PC/Mac/Laptop @ home
- are some sort of Nomad

Then it seems to have a purpose, otheriwse don't bother.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...