Author Topic: RAID1 Hard Drive Failure...  (Read 1029 times)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
RAID1 Hard Drive Failure...
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:42:57 pm »
My Pc Crashed earlier this evening while playing Battlefield... seems one of my HDDs has failed

Its within 1 year though so it should ber replaced under warrantee by Overclockers.

The decision to have RAID has just paid for itself...

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:54:51 pm »
for RAID'ing those bad boys!!!

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »
Hmm..

Technically RAID 1 is only useful to keep your system running in the event of a disk failure until such time you can shut it down to replace it (unless hot swap of course).  Crashing when one disk fails is something that should not happen.

RAID 1 is not a substitute for backups either as a power spike, software problem or user error can result in data loss...

As I use a laptop I only have a single drive and that backs up to a hybrid RAID NAS device (4 drives, same protection as RAID 5 where you can lose a single disk, but can upgrade the capacity by a single disk at a time which you can't with normal RAID 5).
I also have a separate USB drive that plugs into the NAS unit and the important stuff (music, photos, movies) are backed up to that for off-site purposes.  Although truth be told I don't get around to that very often...
If I could justify another similar RAID box I could leave it at another location (eg parents house) and the software on mine would backup over the net to it which would be v cool...  

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS411j/index.php

But...  glad you didnt lose your data!  

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:53:03 am »
Nice. Should save you a bit of formatting hassle etc

I use Time Machine on the Mac with a separate 1TB drive. TM is capable of restoring the whole system from the 1TB drive onto a new disk.

I also clone the drive every now and then..
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:00:26 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
I use Time Machine on the Mac with a separate 1TB drive. TM is capable of restoring the whole system from the 1TB drive onto a new disk.

Took me a little while to getting round to it, but now it's up and running, I just leave it plugged in, every now and then it spins up and makes a backup. Love the simplicity of it.

Also use Vault in Aperture to back up all my projects.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:02:35 pm »
Yeah, i've also ordered a 500GB External drive to backup important files too, at least then there's another copy.  not sure where i'll put it though.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:32 pm »
BTW swapped out the dead drive & all works fine now, it just took 5 hrs to rebuild itself yesterday.