Slough Jets vs MK Lightning - Tonight 7:30PM

Started by Andy, February 23, 2011, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Only found this out today (check out me, the hardcore Jets fan!)

Will be coming over to see this one, have been to the last couple of home games for the Jets and I think the team really are on top form at the moment!

I've also been badgered into doing an ice hockey training session there tonight! To say I'm a little nervous is an understatement, been a while since I was last on te ice and I haven't perfected everything yet! Should be a laugh though.

I don't know if Shifty knows about it or is interested, it's open to all abilities apparently (here's hoping!) and covers everything from skating to stick control etc. It starts at 10:45pm and lasts an hour, it does mean it'll be an early one before I get back to Wycombe, but as I said should be good fun!

Shifty

Gutted I missed the game, missed quite a few recently as it happens, only missed 2 home gales before Christmas, only been to 4 home games this year so far..... busy times.

We basically do the same type of course on Wednesday nights to, starts at 11:15 so bit of a late finish. I normally train on Thursday nights (11:15) with the new team we jsut started MKStorm Wreck and i'm out on Sunday at 9:30 with the other team I play for MKRumble.

Looking at starting coaching soon, did my level one last weekend down in Bracknell and just have to do the exam next week and I can start coaching. Should be interesting...... Inglewood Jack!!!!!!!

Apparently we got slapped 3 -5 by the Jets last night, every review of the game I've read suggests we didn't really play..... or to quote "we let Jets run riot around the goal"... Sounds like we deserved to lose.

Andy

Haha! MK Storm Wreck are the team my friend Sam Kidd is playing for, he was the one who got me along to their introduction to hockey thing last night. Half the people there were player from Wreck who were running drills, I joined in but my skating is rubbish!

We had two coaches last night, a fairly old boy who was absolutely brilliant, spent a lot of time telling me where I was going wrong and gave me some really great tips. Also a youngish lad who gave me some tips when we were doing shooting at the end of the night. It was brilliant really, never done anything like it before but really made me see where I NEED to improve (Skating )

I'm kinda annoyed that there isn't the same thing happening at Slough as it would make it bareable to do, but the way things turned out last night, our session didn't get on the ice till 11:20 which ment it was just before 2am when I got home.

The game was pretty intense, I had a long slagging match with a friend on Facebook recently about atmospheres at Jets home matches... boy do you guys know how to build one though!

When MK put the first goal it was like 'Woah!' The whole place erupted lol! It was a good game, MK had the first period really, possession for about 80-90% of the time in attack and we floundered some passes. I wondered if it might have been something to do with the size of the ice, I know our home rink is a lot smaller.

The 2nd and a 3rd periods were ours though, I think we netted one about 30 seconds in from the start of the 2nd and that was when we seemed to turn it around. Was a good game, very impressed with the venue, nice view all around. Just not sure about Plucky...

Shifty

Yep, recognise the name..... Mr Kidd

Yeah the Wednesday session is a good session, the hole thing came about because a load of us on the ice hockey forum wanted to get into playing but were to old to train with the juniors and there was nothing set up for over 18's.

We got together and organised the session through the existing Storm team as they had the insurance and club in place.
Once we had enough people together some people wanted to progress on to putting a team together, we set up the session on Thursday and created the Storm Wreck team.
Hopefully it will go somewhere, we only decided on a logo the other day so we've got allot of stuff to do before we can start organising games. Were well on the way though.

I know there's a similar session going at Guildford, one our guys Ollie goes to that session as well to as he lives down in Guildford.

Not been to the Slough rink, was in Bracknell last weekend and got to skate there, they have a nice rink, ice was a little softer than what I'm use to but a very nice set up they've got there.
Seems odd that there isn't a standard size for the rink....

I've been told that Isle of whites rink is tiny to the point that the goals had to be made shallower so you should skate behind them......

We've got a good amount of support here at MK..... the rink it's self looks a bit run down to be honest but it does the job. I believe they'll start work on rebuilding it this summer after the Hockey season ends, should be interesting.
Puckey is a bit of a laugh, good for the kids I suppose.

So long as there's a game on and the bars open I'm a happy man, if there's some filthy hot dogs on offer all the better I say.....

Andy

Bumping this for Shifty...

Made it to the training session last night with my camera, for those who maybe interested:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=303039&id=504018307&l=f03dd36305\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">MK Storm Wreck - Training - 17/3/2011

Shifty

Dude, didn't realise that was you taking pics. I saw you up in the stands in a couple of different places.

Were playing you guys this sunday as it happens, gona be tough, 3 games in one week for lightning.

Andy

Yeah, that was me! Carolina Hurricanes hoody that I take to anything to do with ice hockey. Were you in the ice?

I spent about 20 mins photographing all the players as they went past the benches running drills, then went into either side grandstands. The lighting there is so good! I actually get away with using my telephoto and normally that's only achievable is daylight.

art b

those pictures did come out well.... its a lot better lighting than the nec for photography....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Shifty

Quoting: Andy
Were you in the ice?

Always, I'm Ian.... Just friended you on FB. I'm in the #19 Jamieson jersey (#52 on helmet)

Them some good photo's, just been through tagging them.

Andy

Couldn't make tonights game, but just heard on the wires, Slough finished the regular season, 3-4 win over MK after a big come back and going down to penalties!

Sorry Shifty!

philoldsmobile

good game, and right to the wire.. kinda funny when the ref got knocked down, too!

Titsy

Quoting: philoldsmobile
kinda funny when the ref got knocked down, too!

Yeah, He wasn't pleased about that was he, but then he should have got his arse out of the way...!

Shifty

Very good game, realistically we should have won it, the shot counter says it all, we had twice as many shots on goal as slough and probably had 70-75 ish percent of the possession during the game.

Shame it was a loss for MKL on Penalties but you just gota take it as it comes.

Good game though, strong end to end hockey, was nice to watch, and a tidy game to, no cheap shots or bad form.... what what....

That ref did get quite stroppy about being taken out, Zatopek properly destroyed him though. They shouldn't get in the way of play but it does happen occasionally and sometimes they cant get out of the way, was a corker though.

philoldsmobile

ref should have been shouting at himself for

a) being a cowboy and getting in the way
b) loosing his temper when he was completely to blame..