Author Topic: Sat Nav Recommendations ?  (Read 3504 times)

Roadkill

Sat Nav Recommendations ?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:42:22 am »
Need to pick up one fairly soon but don't want to shell out a fortune just yet.

Never had one before so not sure about features but it must have European maps included.

I've looked at the Halfords site and have come up with these - they all get good reviews . . . . But any input appreciated.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_783607_langId_-1_categoryId_247401

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_749451_langId_-1_categoryId_247401#dtab

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_728853_langId_-1_categoryId_247401#dtab

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:47:47 am »
Any Android phone instead

Then you get a phone and great free sat-nav with free traffic information / map updates etc.
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:48 am »
Thought your were looking for an Android phone...?
I use Copilot on mine or Google Navigation.  Though I wouldn't recommend Google Navigation for anything except emergences or short journeys

Roadkill

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:15 am »
Quoting: Incursus
Thought your were looking for an Android phone...?

Fair point.   Although I'll still need to take phone calls (hands free) while using the Sat Nav.  Can this be done ?

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:24:24 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
Fair point. Although I'll still need to take phone calls (hands free) while using the Sat Nav. Can this be done ?

Yep, very clever. Mine all goes through my bluetooth headunit.

You can also text message, play games etc etc. Multitask baby!

I use Copilot on mine

Why?

Though I wouldn't recommend Google Navigation for anything except emergences or short journeys

Why?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »
If you going for a dedicated sat nav (which IMO is better) then the Tom Tom is the better one - have used a Garmin - not impressed, Navigon - never heard of them and don't know what the map updating is like whereas tom tom is v good for updates

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 02:39:33 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan

I use Copilot on mine

Why?

Though I wouldn't recommend Google Navigation for anything except emergences or short journeys

Why?

Well on my Hero, Google Navigation doesn't save favourite destinations except a few recent ones or ones in contacts (very nice feature).
If you go off route for whatever reason you need data signal to reroute.  Though that's not a big issue unless your in a low signal area.  If it reroutes it picks the most direct route (dirt tracks and back roads)
Its slow (tells you to come off a round a bout when your already off it) but that could be my Ancient Hero but Copilot is fine...
doesn't let you plan/save a route in advance (waypoints etc).
Avoid roadblocks/diversion
No Speed camera notification
No Lane assist
Better display layout on CP/TomTom
Basically all the useful functions and tools copilot or Tom Tom lets you do.

Don't get me wrong for a freebee its brilliant!  Great for finding a local business/attraction and taking you there and copilot or tom tom for that matter are not by any means perfect.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:36 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Fair point. Although I'll still need to take phone calls (hands free) while using the Sat Nav. Can this be done ?

Yep, very clever. Mine all goes through my bluetooth headunit.

You can also text message,

Yup.  With Tasker you can even get the phone to Read your incoming SMS's to you when its "docked" with the car

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50:50 pm »
I use Garmin as a dedicated sat nav, it sucks, been using for years.... Really don't know why, I am sure it was a rambler in a previous life and just likes taking random routes for the scenery....

I use Nav Free on my i-Phone, that is totally free and awesome!

Amey

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:30:09 pm »
Quoting: Fieldy
I use Garmin as a dedicated sat nav, it sucks, been using for years.... Really don't know why, I am sure it was a rambler in a previous life and just likes taking random routes for the scenery....

My Mum got a Garmin last year and her's does exactly the same
Also seems to say it's arrived at the destination and yet be nowhere near at all

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 07:28:58 pm »
Quoting: ianjpage
If you going for a dedicated sat nav (which IMO is better) then the Tom Tom is the better one

I have the TomTom XL Live with euro maps, great bit of kit. If you want to try it for a couple of days you're welcome to, I don't need it again until the 20th march?

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:52 pm »

Why?

Also wont be any good to him in Europe due to the data use

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 07:53:27 pm »
the sat nav on my old nokia 6700 was excellent, very clear and pinpoint accurate. with the new android phones its going to be even better still.

the nokia could take bluetooth calls while the handset still operated sat nav (including instructions from the speaker)

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:06 pm »
Maybe its my old eyes but trying to read a mobile screen while driving is next to impossible for me, even the wifes I-phone, and listening to it is distracting at times.

As a hand held navigating around a city on foot it's great but for car use? pah

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58:18 pm »
BTW, I bought my TomTom off Amazon - a lot cheaper than halfords

Andy

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:04:25 am »
Cheers for the Nav Free hint on the iPhone Fieldy, did take ages downloading, but that looks sweet, maps preinstalled is whats needed as opposed to trying to load them as you go.

You can guarantee that the place you need to go to is a signal blackspot!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:55 am »
Apparently the newer HTC Android phones have a built-in map system
Quoting: HTC

TOMTOM AND HTC UNITE TO DELIVER BEST OF CLASS
LOCATION AND NAVIGATION EXPERIENCE ON THE PHONE

Amsterdam and Taoyuan, Taiwan - 20 October 2010 - TomTom, the world’s leading provider of location and navigation solutions, and HTC Corporation, a global designer of smartphones, today announced they are combining strengths to deliver superb navigation and location solutions on HTC smartphones.

HTC Locations, HTC’s new mapping experience, comes preloaded with TomTom’s location-rich maps, resulting in a zero-wait navigation experience. HTC Locations is initially available on the new HTC Desire HD and HTC Desire Z smartphones in Europe and Asia and will be extended to a wide variety of future smartphones and geographies.

You'll have to ask Titsy he has a Desire HD

Fieldy

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 11:55:41 am »
Quoting: Andy
You can guarantee that the place you need to go to is a signal blackspot!

I believe it still works, but I don't know.... Never noticed TBH, I just have it as a back up for work.... It is very good.

Andy

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 12:05:34 pm »
Quoting: Fieldy
I believe it still works, but I don't know.... Never noticed TBH, I just have it as a back up for work.... It is very good.

I was referring to apps that need to download maps as you go, like Google maps, gives you a rough outline but if you zoom in it all goes blurry and you have to wait while it loads. Havings maps preloaded like real sat navs is the way forward.

Good app!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:59 pm »
Actually, Dean if you're still hung up on having a keyboard on your phone then the. HTC Desire Z. Would be ideal. Best of both worlds.

http://www.htc.com/uk/product/desirez/overview.html

HardRockCamaro

• Low Down Dirty ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lightsourcemedia.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 07:15:57 pm »
I use the TomTom app on my iPhone 4.
Works as well as the stand alone Tom Toms (which imho are the best stand alones), traffic updates, speed camera warnings, european mapping.

I bought the US and Canada version for £29.99 and used it to travel 4,500 miles around California and Nevada.

The head unit controls the iPod/iPhne re music, the audio the satnav reduces the volume on the music when giving directions then puts it back up, if a call comes in the headunit handles it over bluetooth and I still have the satnav...

And one less windscreen bracket and item to carry/hide when parking up.

Given the cost of a standalone SatNav I was happy paying £60 for the Western Europe Tom Tom app, especially as it gives me map updates, but some people use cheaper or free alternatives and say they're pretty good too!

Roadkill

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 10:54:51 am »
Great.  Now I'm even more confused.

Andy

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33:35 pm »
Great. Now I'm even more confused.

Ta daa!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 01:35:11 pm »

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »
for the more satnavvy effect, have the wife rotate the map in the passenger seat so you're always travelling 'up'

everytime you go past a side turning, as her to say, "RECALCULATING" really loudly...

job done