Author Topic: Car wash brush? - FB?  (Read 1125 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Car wash brush? - FB?
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:43:44 am »
Guys, what's everyone's opinion on using a brush to wash the car - one of those that connect to the hose?

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2M-TELESCOPIC-EXTENDABLE-CAR-VAN-WASH-WASHING-BRUSH-/230504255873?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35ab1fd181#ht_1619wt_754

Normally, I wouldn't use them as you hear stories of the garage car-wash ones being abused - left on the floor picking up grit etc, which you then rub all over your car scratching your paint. However, if it was yours and you obviously looked after it / kept it off the ground - are these a good idea?

I ask because the last wash I did took a while as it was the first wash after the winter, so I was just moving the dirt around with a bucket and sponge. I always wax / dry the car after, but having a quick way to do the first part of just getting most of the dirt off the car in the first place would be good.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:55:11 am »
For the first wash after winter I used the brush attachment that came with our Karcher pressure washer, but without the pressure washer, if you see what I mean. It did a good job of getting rid of the top layer of grime but left lots of little areas which weren't a 100% so went over again with a bucket and sponge.

I've always wanted to get a rotating head one but can never justify the £70 odd when there is a huge crate of sponges next to it for £1 max!

I do my dads van with the pressure washer and to be honest with agro involved hooking it all up, unkinking the pressure hose ect, nothing beats a bucket and sponge. But that wasn't your question so I'll leave that there!

Eta,

Hope you cleaned the wheel wells and sills etc...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:09:17 am »
Ah yah, but I am hoping that all the little bits will be covered when I go to dry / wax it.

It is just a wash at the moment can take a few hours - which isn't good Probably nothing compared to FB though I am hoping a brush would just speed it all up..

Quoting: Andy
Hope you cleaned the wheel wells and sills etc...

I did, I did like a good boy.

Found some new dings and scratches under the dirt that I know for a FACT I didn't do, so some nice car-park action thanks to some scumming tosser That's even when I choose to park away from everyone else if I can..

Andy

Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:50:29 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
It is just a wash at the moment can take a few hours - which isn't good

A few HOURS? What are you doing man?

I know you have an estate, but even mine only take about an hour max to do. Thats a quick hose down, sponge, rinse, chammis(sp) coat of spray on or liquid ICE wax. Jobs a good'un!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:00:21 pm »
Well I do stop to have a wank half-way through - that may be what's doing it..

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Well I do stop to have a wank half-way through - that may be what's doing it..

que martini...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 02:49:22 pm »
I used a similar brush on our Astro van, but you have to be really careful not to catch the corners of the brush on the paint work

IMHO - It's easier with a sponge and causes less damage, use a brush for the roof

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Car wash brush? - FB?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:17:48 am »
Bought one of these from B+Q as I had a voucher to use:

Pretty good, managed to get the was time down to just over an hour, so it saves time messing around with a sponge trying to get dirt off before you jet wash it.

Quoting: F Body
be really careful not to catch the corners of the brush on the paint work

Totally see what you mean about this though. I sanded down some burrs on the plastic moulding of the brush head to try and limit any damage. You just have to think about what angle the brush head is at and go slowly.