Author Topic: Air Conditioning - Re-gas - when?  (Read 1396 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Air Conditioning - Re-gas - when?
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »
Okay, can anyone give me a simple answer with regards to needing to re-gas air-conditioning?

Some people say you do not need to re-gas a system unless there is a leak.

Other's say you need to do it at certain points regardless.

What's the real answer?

I am trying to work out if our air conditioning is faulty or just needs a re-gas, but I am assuming if it needs a re-gas it IS faulty as it shouldn't loose gas - but a few people have said you need to re-gas a car every few years

The car is a '58 Fiesta with 26k.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:08:18 pm »
I've regassed the Camaro 3 times, all systems will lose some gas and lubricating oil over time.

Golden rule is run the air con at least ONCE a week, right through the year, in the winter time it helps to clear fogged windows in double quick time

Details of my last charge here :

http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=10133&page=0

Andy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:22:12 pm »
Air con systems will lose gas over time, like a car tyre, it's only seals are o-rings and if the system isn't used then the oil which helps lubricate them and keeps them sealing will deteriorate .

Like F-Body said the system should be frequently turned on and used to keep all things fresh and circulating.

If the system isn't putting out ice-cold air after about a minute, then you're low on gas and you need to get the system re-gassed. Tbh with it only costing about £35 at Kwik fit, you could add it to an expected yearly service and not have to worry about it. As the re-gas will include sucking out the old oil and replacing it with fresh stuff.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:21:35 pm »
Cheers lads. Clear and concise from people I trust

I've never had a car with air-con so not too sure about it and you get some people who tell you one thing and others another

We got the car in September (I think), but we have no idea how the previous owner used the system, but we are guessing that they didn't bother using it properly.

Quoting: Andy
As the re-gas will include sucking out the old oil and replacing it with fresh stuff.

That's interesting, I didn't know about oil in the system too.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58:33 pm »
avoid hellfrauds like the plague, they are cheap, but they buggered up my compressor a couple of years back by using the wrong pang oil (there are different types as well as amounts)

re gas every three years, and as mentioned above, its perfectly normal to loose gas over time in a car air con system.

if its climate control the compressor will be permanently running unless its in econ mode, straight air con is on or off, and normally comes on when you use de-misters, regardless of the button position.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:56:33 am »
Cheers Philo, we are going to have a look around next week for someone to re-gas but not Halfords lol..

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »
where are you again dude? i got a guy in Houghton Regis who is cheap and good...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
Quoting: philoldsmobile
where are you again dude?

If only I knew All over the place

Northampton and Wisbech mainly.. Houghton Regis is a bit too far out the way - cheers anyway though buddy.

What about Kwik Fit? Good idea? - I wouldn't normally touch them for anything, but it seems they do a recharge and lubricant change for £49.99..

http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-testing-and-servicing.asp

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:40:33 pm »
Wait, scratch that.. Just re-read properly through FB's thread and opinions of Kwik-Fit are low

I will just call around some garages tomorrow..

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »
Only had to do mine once in the 5 years I've own her...guess I'll be due another next year.

I used a refill can from Halfords.  Worked great for me though when it needs doing again I'll get it done properly/tested.