Author Topic: Mondeo Klub for Bois - MK3 Help  (Read 14402 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Mondeo Klub for Bois - MK3 Help
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:00:47 am »
Does anyone know what the service around 100k would consist of for a 2.0 TDCi?

Also, what is the best way to check the DMF / Clutch?

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:35:44 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
Does anyone know what the service around 100k would consist of for a 2.0 TDCi?

A roll of duck tape and a couple of hail Mary's for her continued running

Andy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:51:22 am »
Have a look yourself, use the drop down boxes to get the exact model etc...

http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do

Or, what someone on TalkFord.com did

Quoting: TalkFord.com Poster

I don't know about the book list but heres what I had done

Radiator flush and refill,
Power steering fluid (although I have been told that best left alone)
brake fluid
fuel filter
oil & filter
plugs
brake disks
brake pads
Air filter is a fairly new K&N so that was left alone

I think stuff like discs and pads could probably be left off unless they're less than a 1/4 away from worn out.

The DMF is not something that can easily be checked for, its more a part that gradually showns signs that it's worn. To be honest, it's a complete bastid as it can happen at any time. Just look through the receipts bills etc for a clutch change, unless it says specifically that the DMF has been changed, assume it hasn't and that it could be a likely expense in the future. Some go, some don't. But then you have a clutch change it's a good idea to get them done at the same time.

Signs of DMF wear include a slight judder on the clutch pedal at mid travel and often not long before it gets really bad, difficulties starting (as though the starter motor isn't engaging the ring gear).

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »
Cheers Andy, got one to look at tonight, explain later..

04 plate estate, clutch has been changed at 81k, now at 102k. Confirmed with the owner that the DMF was NOT changed at the same time

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:21:47 pm »
Quoting: F Body
A roll of duck tape

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Andy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »
04 plate estate, clutch has been changed at 81k, now at 102k. Confirmed with the owner that the DMF was NOT changed at the same time

They went with the cheap option, which you can hardly blame them for with an extra £200 odd quid for it.

Being 04 it should have the facelift, which included a smarter front end with different lower fogs, and improved cabin and some had a Sony headunit (looked like stock but was a better stereo apparently)

Andy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:52 pm »
Quoting: F Body
A roll of duct tape

The reason so many of the MK2 have duct tape on them is due to the pathetic excuse for bumpers. They were about 2mm think plastic, that after a good few years in the sun and all sort of weather give up easier than the French! Also, on all the corner (most likely to get scuffed) there is no support behind them just air, so its gonna break in all honesty. Anyway, duct tape is like a war scar on these things, shows its actually be used!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »
Quoting: Andy
Being 04 it should have the facelift, which included a smarter front end with different lower fogs, and improved cabin and some had a Sony headunit (looked like stock but was a better stereo apparently)

Good to know

Might go a car hunting this weekend if I get time....anyone wanna buy a Mustang

Roadkill

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »
Definately buy 04 - onwards.

Not seen a MK3 with Gaffer tape on it . . . .

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
Definately buy 04 - onwards.

Problem is, 04 model year is when the DMF problems started if I have understood what I have read correctly - so cars built in 2003 for 2004 model year - primarily 04 plates.

They went with the cheap option, which you can hardly blame them for with an extra £200 odd quid for it.

Correct.

Car was very nice..... TO LOOK AT, the rest of it was total rubbish:

I knew something was up with it after 30 mins looking at it, didn't even need to take it for a test drive, handed the keys back to the guy and said I'm going to leave it there. He texts me back 10 mins later whilst I am on my way home saying "did the noise of the Alternator bearings put you off" - it wasn't just that, the flywheel needed doing as well as it was tapping away and it was using oil - but IF he KNEW about the alternator, why didn't he put it on the ad or tell me before I left to look at the car?!

Just trying to pass on their rubbish to someone else.

On-top of that, the tyres all needed replacing, needed a service and needed tax. You would be 1500k out of pocket buying that car putting it back to good condition.

Shame as the rest of the car was great.

Back to searching.

Reason for searching? My MK2 is broken

Andy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 06:28:57 pm »
What is up with your Mk2?!

Aye, sounds like you dodged a bullet there! Also admitting that he knew there was a fault isn't great. Forget it and move on, not as though they're rare!

As a friend has just found out (a Mk3 Mondeo Estate owner) if it comes with alloys, for christ sake make sure you get a locking wheel nut adaptor! Frauds wanted to far side of £100 for a replacement.

Problem is, 04 model year is when the DMF problems started if I have understood what I have read correctly - so cars built in 2003 for 2004 model year - primarily 04 plates.

Erm, I believe they start with the Mk3 TDCi engine, so from about 2002 or so onwards. They fitted it to the new engine, Mk2 had a standard solid flywheel.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:58 pm »
there are a few checks for DMF

get on and off the throttle abruptly a few times, there should be no snatching or clonking, also with the engine off, put the car in gear, and rock ot forward and backwards, any metallic squeaking is the DMF.

If there is a bill for a recent starter be very wary - swarf and dust from a failing DMF clog it very quickly, often leading to failure of the starter bendix.

Why restrict yourself to a mondeo though, there are many other practical cars out there that do everything as well or better, Saab 9-3 volvo V40 / S40 Merc C class and BMW 3 series spring immediately to mind..

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:02 pm »
What is up with your Mk2?!

Ah, will take too long to explain and I am too annoyed to type it all tonight, but in short - tried to fix, cost me £200+, wrong parts made it worse, now off the road.

As a friend has just found out (a Mk3 Mondeo Estate owner) if it comes with alloys, for christ sake make sure you get a locking wheel nut adaptor! Frauds wanted to far side of £100 for a replacement.

Ah, very good point, I will add that to my buyer's guide I have slowly been putting together..

Erm, I believe they start with the Mk3 TDCi engine, so from about 2002 or so onwards. They fitted it to the new engine, Mk2 had a standard solid flywheel.

Quoting: Talkford.com buyer's guide

This is good, thanks for the link, didn't know you could access this information

Quoting: philoldsmobile
there are a few checks for DMF

get on and off the throttle abruptly a few times, there should be no snatching or clonking, also with the engine off, put the car in gear, and rock ot forward and backwards, any metallic squeaking is the DMF.

If there is a bill for a recent starter be very wary - swarf and dust from a failing DMF clog it very quickly, often leading to failure of the starter bendix.

Excellent information PO, exactly what I needed.

Why restrict yourself to a mondeo though, there are many other practical cars out there that do everything as well or better, Saab 9-3 volvo V40 / S40 Merc C class and BMW 3 series spring immediately to mind..

Not so much 'restricting' myself, more so going through a check list of requirements and the Mondeo comes out top.

I need under 100k, or close to. Under 3k, estate, diesel, tow bar is a bonus (unless it is excessively used and shiny like the one I saw tonight!!! ), NOTHING French or Vauxhall and be capable of 60mpg.

Nothing ticks all those boxes apart from the Mondeo. There are a few wild-cards around like the Kia Carens which you can get an immaculate one with 70k on for under 2k. I like Hyundai and Kia, BUT I'd rather spend a little extra and get a Ford, more so from the parts availability and the MPG, the Carens just can't quite match it.

Sure, I could get a VW or BMW, but it will have 250 - 300k on for my budget.

VW retains a high resel value because of the scene from people with rubbish old buses and Beetles

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »
Quoting: art b
saw this in mk...

Dude, 174k

For £600 more I could have a 4-5 year younger Mondeo with 90-100k on the clock

Cheers anyway..

The more eyes looking for me the better

Andy

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 07:27:14 am »
Saab 9-3 volvo V40 / S40 Merc C class and BMW 3 series spring immediately to mind..

Not so much 'restricting' myself, more so going through a check list of requirements and the Mondeo comes out top. I need under 100k, or close to. Under 3k, estate, diesel, tow bar is a bonus (unless it is excessively used and shiny like the one I saw tonight!!! ), NOTHING French or Vauxhall and be capable of 60mpg.

Nothing ticks all those boxes apart from the Mondeo. There are a few wild-cards around like the Kia Carens which you can get an immaculate one with 70k on for under 2k. I like Hyundai and Kia, BUT I'd rather spend a little extra and get a Ford, more so from the parts availability and the MPG, the Carens just can't quite match it.

Sure, I could get a VW or BMW, but it will have 250 - 300k on for my budget.

Though my next car in a couple of years will probably be German because of the lower depreciation.
I've always liked the Passat CC my bro has .
Baring any serious unplanned maintenance costs on the Mondeo I should earn £2-3K on travel expenses to go towards a car.

Saying that the 12MY Mondeo is supposed to look the tits!

Fake pic but you get the idea

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:49 am »
Cheers bud, but the 2.2 is off the list as I need maximum MPG

The other's are a bit too far away to look at and find they are rubbish like the one yesterday. And you know what? - the one yesterday had on the ad that crap line 'first to see wil buy' I HATE that - It was rubbish and I saw it and I didn't buy

I'm not just looking locally either, I'm looking in the big triangle in between Wisbech, Northampton and Cambridge.

Roadkill

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 08:03:02 am »
I'm not just looking locally either, I'm looking in the big triangle in between Wisbech, Northampton and Cambridge

I think mine came from Peterborough way . . . .

Andy

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 11:58:07 am »
The other's are a bit too far away to look at and find they are rubbish like the one yesterday.

Just shout if you want me to have a butchers at any of them or if you see any in the South Bucks area.

The 2.2 is the muts nuts of their diesel engines, but fair enough if you want the MPG sticking with the 2.0 should give you the best of both.

Andy

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:35 am »
Quoting: Incursus

Fake pic but you get the idea

Wow! That really looks nice! That looks like it'll be doing the same as the Mk1 to Mk2 transition, just new bumpers and fenders, as the rest of the car looks the same.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 12:01:55 pm »
Just shout if you want me to have a butchers at any of them or if you see any in the South Bucks area.

Appreciated fella, will let you know

Roadkill

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 03:28:01 pm »
but fair enough if you want the MPG sticking with the 2.0 should give you the best of both.

FYI mine's a 130Bhp and I get silly MPG out of mine.  Unless the 115Bhp is getting 70MPG or more I'd go for the extra power as I find mine a bit sluggish at times so dog knows what a 115 would be like.

philoldsmobile

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »
Dude, 174k  

For £600 more I could have a 4-5 year younger Mondeo with 90-100k on the clock

90 - 100k is right in flywheel danger territory - you be better off with 120,000 that had a flywheel and clutch 10,000 miles ago.

the audi, merc or BM is undoubtedly going to be able to cover more miles than the mondeo though, hence the higher mileage for the same age / money. you get what you pay for and the German and Swedish contenders are higher quality, better engineered cars.

if you look around you should be able to find an A4 with 150,000 miles - its still going to have 100,000 trouble free miles left. How a car has done its mileage is so much more important than total mileage.

I haven't even bothered to suggest alfa because the 156 is getting old, and the 159 is miles outside of your price range - you wont find anything worthwhile (if at all) under 7k - they really hang onto their value.