Author Topic: GearBox / Transmission Fluid  (Read 1332 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
GearBox / Transmission Fluid
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:41:38 pm »
Under the Chrokee at the weekend topping up the axles and I started wondering if anyone actually changes the oil in their gearbox / transmission?

Another question is, how come automatic gearboxes have level dip-stick, yet manuals don't?

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

daveyboy

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:41 pm »
yes it needs changing and a new filter fitting. auto gearboxes  need fresh fluid and filters. on an old car i would be doing it yearly. the dipstick is a clue as to how important it is to be checked.

manuals still need fluid changes but usually its not as often. i dont think they have filters but you will still get a build up of tiny metal shavings sitting in the bottom of the box. you normally have to pump the new fluid into a manual box.

Gator

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:46:52 pm »
like dave said

drain fluid, change filter top up

its only a partial change though as the fluid doesn't drain from the torque converter

Roadkill

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:10:59 pm »
It's a manual on the 2.5 jeep isn't it ?

Will be worth a change.  Normally two plugs vertically inline with each other.  Bottom one to drain, top one will be the "fill to line" one.

Easy.  Check your fluid requirements, though.  Some manuals (T5, T56 . . ) use ATF !!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:19:01 am »
I wasn't so much talking about my Cherokee, more an observation in general - most Haynes manuals do not even list changing the gearbox oil as a service requirement at any interval.

That said, with the Jeep, it probably would be a good idea to change out the fluid in the gearbox and transfer case

Quoting: Roadkill
It's a manual on the 2.5 jeep isn't it ?

Yah, 5 speed manual.

Will be worth a change. Normally two plugs vertically inline with each other. Bottom one to drain, top one will be the "fill to line" one.

Ahh, good man, if you know where the plugs are! I was looking for them at the weekend but could only find this one that even remotely looked like a plug:

Is this it do you think? If so, where's the drain?

I can get you some more pictures if it helps, but unless I totally missed it, I cannot find it.

Easy. Check your fluid requirements, though. Some manuals (T5, T56 . . ) use ATF !!

I was reading something along the lines of this. Apparently it is the transfer case that has brass fittings in it and cannot be mixed with GL5 lubricants - something to do with GL5 corroding 'yellow metal'.

So I have DexMerc III for the transfer case (Dextron II/III recommended), I think that's an ATF.

I have 75W/90 GL4 (again not GL5) for the gearbox.

Then 80W/90 GL5 for the Diff / Axles.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 12:13:47 pm »
Looks like a plug, maybe, yeah.  Is that on the side of the box - if so it could be the "fill" one.

Have you tried googling the plug location ?

I think it's not as important for a manual as (theoretically) a manual will work with no fluid.  ie. it relies on its oil only for lubrication so it can be pretty poor quality and still do some kind of job whereas auto's will simply not function without oil (pressure) and will fail if the oil is not it good shape.

There's no doubt less heat within a manual box also.

Roadkill

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »