Author Topic: Car cover  (Read 2432 times)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:07:52 am »
Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably priced outdoor car cover?

The Mustang will be out of the garage for a couple more months, not normally a problem as I've never stored her in a garage before. Unfortunately where she's sat she get covered in copious amounts of moss and crap (probably from the neighbours gutters).

I rinse her off every couple of weeks but during one of those rinsing sessions last weekend I notice a couple of spots of damaged (flaky) paint.  It looks like a chemical reaction probably from bird shit infused moss..
Rather pissed off but these thing happen.

I've had a couple of covers in the past for the Plymouth but they tended to store water and weathered very quickly.
At the end of the day the car is in a fairly sheltered driveway and will go in the garage over winter, she's also not really that old so not too worried about rust.
Also she's not that big, smaller than the Mondeo...Any recommendations?

Also as a side note, does anyone know if chips-a-way (or similar) would repair something like that? Two spots, less than 10p in diameter.

Andy

Car cover
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:53 am »
Halfords covers = shite. Last about 8 months water proof integrity, then just left anything in. We bought two a year ago for each car on the drive, now they're really just there to stop passers by being nosy.

We're currently looking at these drive in tents you can get that are non contact, we think that's probably where most the issue is with breathable and water proof covers.

Don't forget to crack a window or leave the vents open and with out side air, a mouldy car is an unhappy car.

Roadkill

Car cover
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:21:45 am »
If it's only very temporary, get a lightweight tarp and lay a cotton blanket between it and the paintwork.

Or get one of these :

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:20:34 am »
Quoting: Roadkill
If it's only very temporary, get a lightweight tarp and lay a cotton blanket between it and the paintwork

I have a tarp that may be big enough, I'll have to find a couple of old bed sheet or something for the blanket, though I'm using those for dust sheets atm.

Quoting: Roadkill
Or get one of these :

Quoting: Andy
Halfords covers = shite. Last about 8 months water proof integrity, then just left anything in.

Yeah sounds like the type I had, though 8 months would be more than enough after that it would just be to keep the dust off in the garage.

Or I'll send Katie round to get them to clean out their guttering

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:08:07 am »
Quoting: Incursus
I notice a couple of spots of damaged (flaky) paint. It looks like a chemical reaction probably from bird shit infused moss..

Any ideas on getting this fixed?  It covers an area of about 2 x 20p coins overlapping.

I'm not going to get the entire bonnet resprayed because of it, has anyone used Chip's Away or similar for this kind of thing?

At the end of the day the paint work is of average condition for its age so I wouldn't be looking for an FBody finish.

Looking forward to getting her taxed and on the road in a month or so

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:50 pm »
I have a Covercraft one but they aint cheap, but you get what you pay for.
The greatest risk with using a car cover long term is paint damage caused by the wind moving the cover up and down.
A tailor made cover with bottom straps helps to eliminate that issue

http://www.covercraft-europe.com/

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
Car cover
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 01:51:15 pm »

Andy

Car cover
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:56:02 pm »

£300 for one for the Camaro... struth!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:45:34 pm »
Cheers but not asking about the car cover at the moment..

I notice a couple of spots of damaged (flaky) paint. It looks like a chemical reaction probably from bird shit infused moss..

Any ideas on getting this fixed? It covers an area of about 2 x 20p coins overlapping.

I'm not going to get the entire bonnet resprayed because of it, has anyone used Chip's Away or similar for this kind of thing?

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »

Any ideas on getting this fixed? It covers an area of about 2 x 20p coins overlapping.

well.... tbh.. the thread title is car cover ....
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:30 am »
Well at least it's still on topic, unlike most of the threads

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:24:40 pm »
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:51 pm »
I bought a nearly new 6 man tent to put over the 77.  Without the poles in it, fits a treat.

Roadkill

Car cover
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 05:20:24 pm »
I've not heard any good things about "chips away" or the like, Chris - and black must be the hardest colour to blow in.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
Car cover
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:20 am »
Mmm might have to live with it then I'm certainly not planning on getting the bonnet resprayed.  Had the front bumper resprayed a year or so ago only to have some one scuff it again in a car park