Author Topic: Amazon Kindle Fire - Black Friday sale £99  (Read 2664 times)

Andy

Amazon Kindle Fire - Black Friday sale £99
« on: November 23, 2012, 04:43:12 pm »
For today only Amazon are selling the newly released Kindle Fire for £99.

I picked one up as I have yet to get a Kindle and for the £30 price difference the added features are more appealing.

It's only sub £100 today so if you're interested, worth a punt. Unbeknown to me I also ended up buying to two things in my basket that I had forgotten about, still all in all under the regular price of the Fire Kindle.

Anybody else picked up some Black Friday deals?

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »
Seriously considered this but I just don't get on with tablets apart for web browsing

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »
Use my tablet all the time but with the keyboard dock it's more like a netbook, full sized USB port and SD drive etc.

Nearly 3 times the price of the Fire though, sounds like a bargain to me

Got a Kindle paperwhite for reading though, reading off a backlit screen gives me a headache.

Andy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »
Posting from my Fire, I promise to read books on it at some point!

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:20:44 am »
Want Tablet.....

Must have 3G/4G (Internal), SD Card Slot, GPS, 9"+, Not Ipad....????

Ooooh and not a lot of money....

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:38:11 am »
Quoting: Rob
Must have 3G/4G (Internal), SD Card Slot, GPS, 9"+, Not Ipad....???

Asus Transformer pad TF300  or the Asus Transformer pad/prime/infinity/TF700 (whatever they called it in the end) if you want HD screen, Should be 3g versions available by now I rarely have mine anywhere I can't get wifi and if I do I just tether it to my mobile.

If I was getting a Tablet now though I'd probably be looking at the Microsoft Surface.

EDIT: Surface only has microSD though afaik only the Transformer pad has a full size SD though you can get USB adapters...probably.

Andy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:03:39 am »
Only had this a couple of days, and really only played with it for a few hours, but I'm a bit meh about it to be honest.

As a device, it's smart, the screen is crisp, it's light, has a rubberised back so easy to grip. It's touch screen is a little vague, having been used to iPhones, the UI comparison is not up to that of Apple products. Scrolling is clunky and what gestures it uses are somewhat cumbersome compared to my MacBook or iPhone.

The software is quick, hasn't yet shown any glitches. Takes a bit of use to work out how stuff works. What I bought it for was to hopefully get some car magazines on it as well as some technical manuals. As yet I've only downloaded a few books and for a laugh a copy of viz. seeing as being an e-reader is really the main role of the device, it is very frustrating trying to read on. Books which are formatted are fine, but as a trial run with Viz, the page formatting mean in Portrait you get a page view that is far too small to read, and the flipping to landscape you get a double page view which is miles to small to read. This maybe me being unfamiliar with the settings though.

A very big plus has been its PDF viewer and its file system. This weekend working on Dave's new car, I needed a few circuit diagrams, a quick trawl using Silk, it's own web browser and I'd found two or three PDFs, each downloadable. Now rather than carrying a laptop to the car, using the Fire, it was easier to use in situ than a laptop. Also with it downloading the file, I then managed to email it on to Dave using its email function.

All in all, it's a nifty little device, for the price I'd say it was a fair buy. I don't feel it's aim was solely as an e-reader, which is fine, but Ada tablet I believe it falls short of the mark a bit, which is reflected in the price.

Still early days mind!

(Posted from my iPhone)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »
Quoting: Andy
I don't feel it's aim was solely as an e-reader

I wouldn't really class it as an e-reader at all as it has LCD rather than e-paper display...it's no more an e-reader than my phone or tablet imo

It's a mini tablet as far as I was aware..

Sister-in-Law bought one in the sale as well, she seems pleased with it though she also has a regular Kindle for reading.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:12 pm »
Quoting: F Body
Seriously considered this

Bought last night for £109 without the stupid adverts

Andy

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:43:25 pm »
You will probably really like it, it does have more appeal than a laptop for when just lazing about. Posting from it now, trying to work out why the kjndles own keybard doesn't function like it does on the rest of it when usijg the browser!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 07:47:50 pm »
SwiftKey keyboard is pretty good

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »
we bought one for the daughter for xmas...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere ridiculing Apple for bringing out a tablet.  

It will never catch on and I can't think of a good reason to own one.  

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 07:25:11 pm »
Bought last night for £109 without the stupid adverts

OK first the good news

Although I bought it late on Sunday night and refused to pay the default £6.95 for two day delivery, even with the free 5-7 day delivery it arrived this morning

Dead simple to set up and register and Management seemed impressed.........

Now the bad news

She was impressed until she spotted a pixel not working on the screen, tried a couple of different screens and it was very visible

Dam Chinese Lackys

Anyway I clicked on Amazon's return faulty goods link and they rang my mobile  within 30 seconds. A replacement is being dispatched tonight and should arrive tomorrow.
They also sent a return label via e-mail which you print and stick on the box to send the defective one back.

So my initial thoughts are it's cheap but not very good quality

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:51 pm »
meh ....wots one pixel, about this big   v

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:23 am »
No dead Pixels on my iPad...

Oh my god... can't believe I just played the Apple card

I shall proceed to shoot myself immediately

HTC FTW!!!
PC's Rock!!

Aah thats better, karma is equalised
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 07:38:20 am »
I remember when you could only send a monitor back if it had more than 4 dead pixels

And pixels were bigger in those days  

Anyway I clicked on Amazon's return faulty goods link and they rang my mobile within 30 seconds. A replacement is being dispatched tonight and should arrive tomorrow.
They also sent a return label via e-mail which you print and stick on the box to send the defective one back.

Amazon always seem to be a step above the rest when it comes to customer service

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 07:44:01 am »
Quoting: Incursus
Amazon always seem to be a step above the rest when it comes to customer service

True way better than E Gay who's standard reply to any complaint no matter how serious it is "Take it up with the seller"

Quoting: art b
meh ....wots one pixel, about this big v

Well it's not got than many in the first place and dead pixels have a habit of multiplying

Andy

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 08:18:00 am »
Hmm, no dead pixels here, just a temperamental power button that in fairness is probably me not being forceful enough.

They are dead easy to set up though. Was slightly concerned about how much Google seem to be able to fill a device with your info just by signing in. I guess that's the cloud system?

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 12:38:06 pm »
They are dead easy to set up though. Was slightly concerned about how much Google seem to be able to fill a device with your info just by signing in. I guess that's the cloud system?

Yup mine even installed the apps I use on my mobile.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »
The new one is up and working

Management likes it, but anything apart from simple browsing takes far too much dragging across the screen, which is easier and quicker with a mouse

Can't seem to change the links on the start screen, any ideas my fellow Geeks

Andy

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:29 pm »
Management likes it, but anything apart from simple browsing takes far too much dragging across the screen, which is easier and quicker with a mouse  

I'll agree with that, but look under the hood and alter the setting from Silk to 'Mobile Webpages', won't help on here, but certainly makes a lot of other forums and sites easier to browse.

Can't seem to change the links on the start screen, any ideas my fellow Geeks

Thats all down tap and hold, then it should bring up the option from moving it around you carousel or removing it.

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:12 pm »
alter the setting from Silk to 'Mobile Webpages', won't help on here, but certainly makes a lot of other forums and sites easier to browse.

Some what easier, but the menu's suck

Tried for 5 minutes to do a quote on an MKB Forum post, which I did in 2 seconds using the wireless mouse on my netbook

Even creating a bookmark is a pain in the ass, home, open the web tab, go to the site you want to bookmark, go to the starter page, bookmarks, add bookmark and accept address if correct.

Screen and response rates are great, but the menu's and usability are crap

With it being an Android device I really expected the menu's to be easy to use like my HTC phone

Initial day two evaluation :  Device 8/10  Software 3/10.

Andy

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »
Initial day two evaluation : Device 8/10 Software 3/10.

I'll concur!