Author Topic: GiffGiff  (Read 4776 times)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:18:54 pm »
Anyone used them? Think you mentioned being with them Andy?

I'm looking to change my provider we only get Vodafone or o2 at work, I know GiffGaff use o2 so works fine but the deals seem a bit too good to be true and the forum is full of complaints...though I know that isn't unusual for mobile phone forums the lack of customer call centre concerns me a little.

Discuss. :-)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:06:25 pm »
they sponsor .. the big band theory...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:02:04 pm »
Love 'em!

Been with them for coming up to 2 years, since my O2 contract ended. Ordered a sim, which arrived in a couple of days in a funky package. Got my number ported, which took another couple of days, since then I haven't looked back.

Pros:
-Ridiculously cheap tariffs
-O2 network coverage
-Forums full of advice (average answer time < 45mins
-Goody bag system (now reoccuring)
-Unlimited data
-PAYBACK!

Cons:
-No telephone customer support
-No handsets or insurance
-iPhones cannot use the inbuilt voicemail function (work around with HulloMail)
-Forums full of complaints

To put it in perspective, my O2 contract was £35 per month for 1000 mins and 500 texts, I had to have the bolt on of 500 texts (was going through that phase of texting) + unlimited data. That had on top of it handset insurance of £15 p/m. For some reason though my bills were always north of £60.

Since then, I haven't spend more than £15 p/m with GiffGaff.

How it works:

Get a Sim card, there are literally hundreds of members on the forums who are effectively 'giving' away cards. The whole network runs off the ethos that it really is run by you. You can order cards directly from GG but they like their members to give them away. The bonus being, if you use a members card and sign up, you get 500 Payback points and so does the member who gave it to you.

Whack the Sim card in any unlocked or O2 handset. If you want to keep your number then you'll need a PUK code from your current network, you then pass this onto the 'helpers' at GiffGaff who will port your number.

GiffGaff can work in two ways, you can either treat it as a Pay as you Go network by buying credit and spending it as much as you want, OR buy a Goody Bag which has a bundle of credit, texts and data allowances...

£5 - 60min - 300 texts - No data
£10 - 250min - Unlimited texts - 1GB Data
£12 - 250min - Unlimited texts - Unlimited Data
£15 - 400min - Unlimited texts - Unlimited Data
£20 - 800min - Unlimited texts - Unlimited Data
£25 - 1500min - Unlimited texts - Unlimited Data

A Goody Bag lasts a month and after that you have the option of buying (queuing) another one, or one of a different level, or just not. Only recently they've just started doing 'reoccurring Goody Bags' so you can effectively run a contract phone.

If you do go down the goody bag route, you'll also need to put say £10 on credit in case you have to ring any premium rate numbers. I have only had to do this a couple of times, and it generally gets used up around insurance renewal time on the phone to companies. This can also be set to automatically top up, so you never need to worry about running out of credit mid call.

Payback:

Payback is pretty unique to GG in the way that they pay you to use their forums and support other members. The more you input the more payback you earn. To give you some idea, last December at Payback time, I got Paypal'd from GG £40 to which I used on eBay. It can be paid back as money, or turned into airtime credit or donated to the charity as chosen on the forum.

The Community (Forum)  

Take the forum with a pinch of salt. Sadly, as its where everyone goes for advice, so it will always seem like everything is going wrong. But most problems are solved on the forum, and it also has some pretty funny banter.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:29 am »
What about tethering buddy?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:43 am »
Regards tethering, they don't like it on regular sims. You can get a data only sims and goody bag at a great rate that allows you to tether. There are still loads of people who do just tether, I think you get two warnings then a boot.

I have this knackered iPhone here that I'm gonna Jailbreak and fit a data Sim in it so I can go mobile with my MacBook. Will give me something to do over Christmas!

I personally couldn't recommend them enough. So long as you accept that yes it's cheaper and it ain't going to have anywhere near the customer service level of a big phone company, but it has a great ethos where everyone else helps each other out. The reception though is pretty much second to none where I live. If you have an O2 signal you can receive GG!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 08:25:14 am »
I'll give it ago, nothing to loose really....other than time and effort to switch to o2 if it all goes tits up.

Should I have ordered a SIM through you then?  I did order one on Sunday but I wont need it until next week (when I order my shiny new phone)

Though it does look like tethering isn't allowed with the goodybags...not something I use often but still
Guess you can kind of understand it as with unlimited data people would take the piss.

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
You could order one through me if you want but I'm not overly fussed. It works in a way that if you get one through me, you get 500 points, I get 500. But you have to top it up. So if you put a £10 on it, you get a £5 back and so do I. It's hard to see how they make money, but they do. By the way 1 point = 1 penny.

They keep reminding me I have 1040 points which I need to decide what to do with. You build these up through signing new members or being active in the help forums.

One thing I will add if you use this in an iPhone. Apple doesn't see Giffgaff as a recognised network, partly because they don't sell handsets and partly because they are a Virtual Mobile Network, like Tesco. They don't own any masts etc. because of this Apple don't allow GG to offer the little bit of software that allows the phone to dial voicemail via the Phone option, or change the 'O2-UK' in the top left corner. The biggest draw back is that when you update the phone it resets the data settings. Which is no biggie really, just have to thump in giffgaff.com, giffgaff and password, then you're back up and running. Has caught me out a few times though.

Give it a bash, I know I got my dad signed up when he took out a new contract with Vodaphone after a massive disagreement with O2. He now uses the GG handset more because the reception is much better.

ETA:

If you'd like to order one through me, here's my URL

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/andyfoo

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:52 am »
Quoting: Andy
One thing I will add if you use this in an iPhone.

Hell would freeze over first!

Ordered a SIM through you

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:02 am »
With how cold it was this morning, I'm glad you've finally seen sense in getting an iPhone! Pfft, Andriod!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:54:41 am »
Quoting: Incursus
(when I order my shiny new phone)

What phone are you getting?

If you'd like to order one through me, here's my URL

\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/andyfoo

Noted.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 11:36:59 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
(when I order my shiny new phone)

What phone are you getting?

I'm abandoning Android for WP8

HTC 8X.  

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 11:39:10 am »
Oh dear!

Out of the pan...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »
Tried all three major OS's and would never go iOS unless they give it a major overhaul as I just don't get on with it and believe me I've tried.
Android is fine and I like the customisability and compatibility of it but after spending some time on my brothers WP7.5 phone and Katie's WP8 I found it brilliant.

Yes they need to catch up on Apps but they have everything I use on a daily basis and wont have quite the customisability of Android but to be honest I was sold after a just a few minutes with it.

I've waited for service pack one though, of course

Amey

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Ho
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
need a PUK code from your current network

Should be a PAC code - PUK code is to unlock a phone if you've entered the wrong pin in a number of times.

Sorry - Geek mode on

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »
Quoting: Amey
Should be a PAC code - PUK code is to unlock a phone if you've entered the wrong pin in a number of times.

Like a man in braces, I stand corrected!

It was rather late when I was typing that up, was quite surprised how coherent it came across this morning!

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 12:41:04 pm »
Yes they need to catch up on Apps but they have everything I use on a daily basis and wont have quite the customisability of Android but to be honest I was sold after a just a few minutes with it.

I think it was Click this weekend where they did a run down on Tablets, they got to the Windows Surface device, which I think runs a larger version of the Window Phone software. The guy described the App store as like a Soviet supermarket, desolate.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »
I think it was Click this weekend where they did a run down on Tablets, they got to the Windows Surface device, which I think runs a larger version of the Window Phone software. The guy described the App store as like a Soviet supermarket, desolate.

Yeah I've stuck with Android on the Tablet...for now

Heard that the Gadget show completely slammed the iPhone 5 and loved the Nokia 920 and windows 8 and the gadget show have always been apple fan bois

Anyway each to their own, I've tried the 5 the 4's and the 3's and I just can't see what the fuss is about but I always check out their latest offering along with everyone elses before buying a new phone.

Beside as an infortainment system engineer keeping up with  iOS's minor tweaks is a pain in the arse where as all the other OS's (WP, Android and BB) just work

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 04:26:48 pm »
Can understand them panning it to be honest. The hype and build up for what? A bit taller, a bit thinner? As much as I like Apples wears, I have to say they failed to deliver with that. Plus the maps fiasco with iOS 6, at the minute it's all a bit embarrassing I'd say.

The only reason I prefer the iPhone over other stuff is the ease of it working. I suppose it's a bit like the who PC vs. Mac, depending on which camp you were brought up in, you tend to lean that way.

Anywho! Cheers for the order, it just pinged me an email saying someone had used my link, nice one! I used to have a fistful of them but have handed them out. Btw, they will send you a 2nd Sim a couple of days later as well to give to a friend, completely normal. Although if you have someone you talk to a lot it's handy as GG to GG phone calls are free!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 08:20:01 pm »
Tis odd really, I find iOS frustrating and difficult to use yet so many people say they like how easy to use it is... guess my brain works differently.

Looks like i'll have 3 SIMs by the end of the week then

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »
Make that 4, GG will send an extra one out as well. All depends how smart their handling department is as to whether you get all of them.

Just looking at rooting this 2nd handset. The jailbreak software appears to be a meet in the middle affair with android if I've read things right?

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 03:30:48 pm »
The jailbreak software appears to be a meet in the middle affair with android if I've read things right?

WP8 is the meet in the middle, customisation of Android with stability of iOS...well thats the theory anyway

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 08:27:22 am »

Andy

GiffGiff
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:23 am »
Quoting: An Email I just receieved

Hi Andy (you super cool mofo)

The SIM pack ordered from your personalised order link is winging its way to you or your friend now. It may take up to four days depending on how far the postie has to go.

Thanks for recommending giffgaff. As the SIM was ordered through Spread the Word it's automatically linked to your account, so when it activates you'll receive 500 points (this will appear on next months points statement) and your friend will receive £5 bonus credit (applied within 24 hours of activating).

In the meantime, let your friend know if they want to keep their current mobile number, they need to call their old network and ask for their number transfer code (PAC code lasts 30 days).

When the SIM arrives they'll need to:

1) Head to giffgaff.com to activate online, using 6 digit code on the SIM card.

2) Top-up online for the first time (using debit/credit card or top-up voucher, see ways to top-up for more info).

3) Insert SIM into an unlocked handset.

If they have any trouble getting going, check out the step by step guide.

Remember with giffgaff:

They'll be hard pushed to find better Pay As You Go (PAYG) rates - check the comparison table here. As we're online only and supported by our members, which means we can offer our members great value.

Also, as giffgaff to giffgaff calls and texts are free (so long as you've topped up in the last 3 months) - when they join you'll be able to chit chat to them for free.

Cheers
The giffgaff team

FYI Chris

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
GiffGiff
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 11:44:46 am »
Cheers super cool mofo

Ordering the phone next Wednesday so should arrive in time