Author Topic: Headlining Install - Sound-proofing and Insulation?  (Read 1071 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Headlining Install - Sound-proofing and Insulation?
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »
Any suggestions on what to use to sound-proof and insulate, to some extent, before I install the headlining on my bus?

Ideally I would like to stay away from that hard and thin, rubber-type material.

I certainly do not want anything that will cause condensation or hold water!

So the primary function is to reduce noise and vibration. Any insulating properties will be a bonus.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:49 pm »
I have a bag of insulation matting that has been in my garage for ever that you can have if you like, i bought it for something on my old red camaro!

its a bit like this:

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:28:24 pm »
Thanks for the offer dude, but I would be concerned that would create and store condensation though.

Thanks again buddy

RK - what have you done with the headlining on the Camero project?
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:26:13 pm »
When I had to rip out all the floor insulation and noise matting in my black Mondeo, I ended up taking a trip down the DIY shop and bought some of that tin foil like bubble wrap they sell as insulation. I think I did two or three layers which gave the floor some cushioning and muted the road roar a bit. Was bloody expensive mind. Did just tape it up with duct tape and fastened the carpet over the top.

Roadkill

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »
There's no head lining as such in the Camaro.  Just a 'biscuit' covered in material.

I re enforced the biscuit and filled the old seat belt reel holes with fibre glass matting, then recovered in with new material I bought from the market.  

It doesn't need anymore than that.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:00:24 am »
Dean's course of action is probably the best, I decided to go with what turned out to be a ****ing expensive route of ordering a new plastic backed headliner from the US, it looks great and will last for fecking ever, but my god was it expensive, I can't remember the exact numbers but it cost me at least 2x the cost of the item to get it to my front door, the vast majority of which was because the shipping from the US was "Door to Port" which I didn't realise, it then cost me a small mortgage to get the item from Heathrow to my house  I was NOT happy.

NB: re: the above, don't ever use Hawks 3rd gen... tossers
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...