Author Topic: OEM REMOTE Central Locking - Question for the Techys  (Read 1660 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
OEM REMOTE Central Locking - Question for the Techys
« on: April 21, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »
My GF's new (to her) VW Polo '04 did not come with remote central locking, which is annoying, it does have central locking by putting the key in the door though.

After doing a little research it seems it is not that difficult to retro-fit the remote control unit to the existing central locking.

You can either go two routes to do this:

1. Find a scrapped VAG car with the correct remote central locking controller in it, do some code hacking to match it electronically with your car ECU and replacement key, then fit the physical control box.

Quite a lot of learning and potential to break the car's ECU.

2. Buy a box such as below which has already been coded to the key and is ready to fit. All you need to do is get the key cut to match your car as the 'blades' are blank at the moment and take the glass crystal from the existing key and put it in the new key (for the immobiliser I think).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-VW-CENTRAL-LOCKING-KIT-FOR-LUPO-GOLF-POLO-SKODA-IBIZA-/121097330588?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c31f69f9c

Even though £80 is quite expensive, it is something we allowed for when selling the Fiesta. So it is set-aside to fit remote central locking.

Question

When I order the part from eBay, the seller will have our address. IS there anyway they can or could have duplicated the keys to allow access to the car?

I am being super suspicious here, but I have not fitted remote central locking before and I am not totally sure what is going on.

As I understand it, even if they did have spare keys 'coded' to that remote receiver, they would not be able to get into our car without having the glass crystal from our existing keys? Is that correct?

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:56 am »
Quoting: Cunning Plan
When I order the part from eBay, the seller will have our address. IS there anyway they can or could have duplicated the keys to allow access to the car?

I am being super suspicious here, but I have not fitted remote central locking before and I am not totally sure what is going on.

As I understand it, even if they did have spare keys 'coded' to that remote receiver, they would not be able to get into our car without having the glass crystal from our existing keys? Is that correct?

I had some experience with remote's working for Alps, though not for VAG.

Generally you need to pair the remote with the vehicle so if you can clear all stored remote's then no they shouldn't be able to have a duplicate.

I would guess they could get into the vehicle if they managed to pair a remote but not be able to disable the immobiliser without the crystal.

Andy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:52 am »
All I will warn you is your car is a 2004. We have a 2004 (late) VW Caddy van. One of our drivers lost the remote key (actually left it in their coat on a plane... long story)

Anyway, we go back to VW who say they can get a replacement key, but it needs to be sent away to be cut. This is the blade type key that has a channel running up either side. We paid a deposit, they ordered in a new key, had the van for the day as they had to register it with the computer. Thats when it all went wrong. Apparently (and this was from the technician doing the job) they either got locked out or the method for adding a new key wasn't having any of it. They couldn't get the radio key to unlock or unimmobilise the van. We then had a bit of an argument with VW as we'd paid £xxx for a key to be cut that wouldn't do anything.

Long story short, just be careful of any remote locking setups up accessing them to add or delete new keys. We now only have one key and there is no way of adding any more keys.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »
Thanks guys, more research is required I think
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)