Author Topic: Photographers - Lens for a Cannon 600D to take product shots / Macro?  (Read 2077 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Hi all!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a lens to take product and macro shots for a Cannon 600D?

Here is an example of the kind of shots that the lens will be predominately used for:

https://www.olimex.com/_images/pcb-green.jpg

Budget is up to £100.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Andy

Photographers - Lens for a Cannon 600D to take product shots / Macro?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:33 am »
Tbh that's not really macro, but nevertheless, I would say try out the 'nifty fifty' by Canon. It's a budget low light, big aperture lens that would meet that.

Being 50mm fixed means you have no zooming in capabilities but I've had great results with close up detail shots of items.

One thing it's great at is close up shots with massive depths of field. I dunno whether this is something you want but hands down for the price that lens does a great job.

Does your 600D not come with the standard kit lens? I'm pretty sure that lens would be perfectly capable of capturing that.

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:25 pm »
that's not really a macro shot... this is...

EDGE

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:29 pm »
an out of focus one at that!!!  

for the sample you posted any 50mm lense with a close focus will do, £100 will be more than enough

shame its for a canon though

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:59:23 am »
Quoting: Andy
Does your 600D not come with the standard kit lens? I'm pretty sure that lens would be perfectly capable of capturing that.

No, body only.

Quoting: EDGE
that's not really a macro shot... this is...

Yah, but I said that was an example of the shots it will be predominantly taking, but for some items, a close-up macro-type shot is required.

Quoting: Andy
I would say try out the 'nifty fifty' by Canon. It's a budget low light, big aperture lens that would meet that.

Being 50mm fixed means

Quoting: EDGE
for the sample you posted any 50mm lense with a close focus will do, £100 will be more than enough

Okay, thanks.

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)