Author Topic: Projects - Uber Shed and Square Shed  (Read 13316 times)

Big Mouse

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bigmouseracing.co.uk
Projects - Uber Shed and Square Shed
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2014, 08:12:06 pm »
Why have you done your door bracing that way around at the top? braces would normally run up from the hinges to keep the door in compression i.e like two 'Z's on top of each other?

Z
Z

Roadkill

« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2014, 04:02:20 pm »
Quoting: Big Mouse
Why

There's no quick way of answering that so I'll have to come back to it . . needless to say I have my reasoning . . .

Not got much time so I'll do a quick update . . . .

Second coat of creosote on the door, hinges adjusted further.  Plastic shelving units in and leveled (nice tight fit ).

Edit - Did some snagging inside where I caught the wall in one place and also siliconed around the inside of the door (between the plasterboard and the metal angles )

Fitted the guttering and down pipe . . . the volume of water coming down the pipe will be minimal so I'm not worrying about connecting it to a soak-away . . .

Fitted nosing to protect the edge of the floor and repel the water . . also treated it to a new door mat (got a matching one for the other shed).

Have since put everything in there that i planned too . . . . I've still got about 15-20% capacity so that's good.

Remaining jobs are :

Fit Cabin Hook to door (to keep the door open when needed),
Fit 3 x pieces of log roll to the outside to "tie it in" with the existing,
Draw / have made / fit pre-galv plate to the inside of the door (not needed but I reckon it'll finished it off nicely),
Fit felt to roof (probably do in April as I'd prefer the temperatures to be warmer - you tend to get a better finish).

Nearly there.

Roadkill

« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »
Quoting: Andy
Tell me though, how are you sealing the wood to stop the door expanding?

Quoting: Andy
our biggest problem with out garden shed are the doors expanding when shut, then having to bust them open and plane them down.

Creosote, and 6mm gaps . . . (hence the metal anglel behind to stop the wind blowing the rain through).

It's still likely that it'll need some planing at some point . . . but I'm hoping the above, plus the fact that it's quite a substantial door will all help.

We'll see.  

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »
Great work dude.

Keep it up!
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2014, 04:52:50 pm »
Quoting: Roadkill
Fit Cabin Hook to door (to keep the door open when needed),

Done - also fitted some to the "older" shed.

Fit 3 x pieces of log roll to the outside to "tie it in" with the existing,

Done, finished.

Draw / have made / fit pre-galv plate to the inside of the door (not needed but I reckon it'll finished it off nicely),

It's been made and is sitting in the boot of the Mondeo . . . I'll fit it first thing tomorrow.

EDIT -

On a separate, but related note, I fitted the "frosted window film" to the first shed's french doors last night, too . . . that was the final outstanding job on that shed so technically I've finished that, now !

Just the Roof felf on the new shed (later this month if the weather stays warm) then they're both done !

Roadkill

« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2014, 04:06:59 pm »
On a separate, but related note, I fitted the "frosted window film" to the first shed's french doors last night, too

Here's a pic . . . also bought another mat for the keg area, too so Shed #1 is 100% done !

It's been made and is sitting in the boot of the Mondeo . . . I'll fit it first thing tomorrow.

Another pic . . . Was a bit of a sod to fit but looks the tits ! - Glad I added it.  If the weather stays nice I'll get the roof done at the end of this month and finish Project Shed #2, too !

Roadkill

« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:39 am »
Quoting: Roadkill on 10th March 2014
If the weather stays nice I'll get the roof done at the end of this month and finish Project Shed #2, too !

Well, that kinda highlights what kind of year I had last year . . . the Shed has had its temporary polythene roof cover for well over a year, now.

No leaks, though, despite its pikey looks.

Needless to say it's on the top of the list, after sorting out the garage to get that roof felted.

Another thing that's become apparent is that I'm using the Sheds . . . a lot.

That's good, of course, but it's become clear that the plastic shelving units in "Shed II" are not man enough for the items I need to store in there (I added a steel shelving bay in "Shed I" late last year to store Caddy bits on).

It's not just because they're a bit weak, most of the problem is because of the amount of pillars/legs there are supporting all the shelves . . . (see pictures above) . . it really hinders getting larger items in (think Christmas tree box, tent bag etc . . )

So -
I have an abundance of thick timber shelving available, left over from projects at work, that I intend to use in place of the plastic shelving units.

The plan is to have them free-spanning from front-to-back, meaning no legs or supports to get in the way so I can get some big stuff in there.

I also intend to install steel nosings to the front of the shelves (like in "Shed I") so they'll be solid and able to stand up to getting knocked about.

Not really a job I wanted to do but it won't take long, will cost maybe £15 (for screws and timber batons) and will make the second shed much, much more use-able.

I will wait til the weather gets a bit better first, though, I think.

P.S, If anyone wants 5 x plastic shelving units, barely a year old, in good, clean condition, let me know.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2015, 10:59:54 am »

As ever.
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »
P.S, If anyone wants 5 x plastic shelving units, barely a year old, in good, clean condition, let me know.

Ugh, I would, but I am on a spending lock-down right now

Roadkill

Re: Projects - Uber Shed and Square Shed
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:33 am »
Finished fitting the 7 fixed shelves in the Shed (II) on Sunday . . . was gonna fit 8, but only had materials for 7 !! (I think it'll work better with 7, TBH, it's only my OCD complaining about the odd number !

I'll be adding a coat of varnish to the shelves to help seal them against leaks and spills (should've done this in the main shed on hindsight).

Pics to follow.

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
Finished fitting the 7 fixed shelves in the Shed (II) on Sunday . . . was gonna fit 8, but only had materials for 7 !! (I think it'll work better with 7, TBH, it's only my OCD complaining about the odd number !

I'll be adding a coat of varnish to the shelves to help seal them against leaks and spills (should've done this in the main shed on hindsight).

Pics to follow.

only 7 shelves .... :o

gonna grind every time you open the door.. :tongue:

Roadkill

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:50 am »
Got some varnish on the shelves last night . . . was planning to silicone the gaps around the shelves but don't think I'll bother - at most they're 2-3mm and in places zero.  I think, if anything, I'll add another coat of varnish and call it done.

Either way, this is what it looks like :

My pukka steel nosings

I also brought the steel skirting forward to suit the new lower shelves . . . . My door mat, by chance, still fits nicely in the gap.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:05 am »
Looks great, but did you need to put a shelf on the bottom? You could have just stood stuff on the floor? ???

Roadkill

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:43 am »
I know what you're saying, and I did consider leaving it but my OCD wouldn't allow stuff "just on the floor" . . .

It got out of hand before and it ended up being stacked up so you couldn't get in let alone get to anything.  This way there's a definite line between organised (ie. on the shelves) and utter chaos (ie. on the floor) !!

It's fickle, but that's how I roll.   :lol:

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2015, 11:58:35 am »
Looks great, but did you need to put a shelf on the bottom? You could have just stood stuff on the floor? ???

:plusone:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2015, 12:01:47 pm »
No, I totally understand.

I would have the bottom / floor for heavy items, so as long as the shelf can hold them, you have not lost functionality.

It is annoying when an item placed on-top of another, becomes another item and another item, after a while you are left with a mass of unorganised rubbish which means you cannot find what you are looking for or forget you have it in the first place.  :eek:

Roadkill

« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2015, 08:49:55 am »
And all is peaceful again.   :tongue:

True, I do need to have a bit of a sort-through still but there's more in there than before, I've still got spare capacity AND I can actually move around in there !

I was going to fit the roof felt this weekend and call it done but realised that I haven't really got enough room in the back garden at the moment to lay the felt out for cutting !

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2015, 10:05:24 am »
I like organisation.  :up:

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2015, 12:03:13 pm »
Looks great, but did you need to put a shelf on the bottom? You could have just stood stuff on the floor?

The bottom shelves lift up to reveal his shotgun collection...  :shotgun: :secure:

Roadkill

« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2015, 01:45:00 pm »
Now that's an idea.  :chiny:

Shotgun's ain't really my thing . . . I am after a 1921 Thompson machine gun to hang on my wall, though. 

Roadkill

« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »
Well, after nearly 3 years with only temporary cover on the roof, I took advantage of probably the last truly hot day of the year earlier in the month and got the roof finished !

BOOM - Another Project Finished.  Has been a worthy and useful storage space - that's for sure.