Author Topic: Home-Pub Mini-Project . . . .  (Read 4326 times)

Roadkill

Home-Pub Mini-Project . . . .
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »
Yaayyy !

This project *should* now be all done.

First job, once all the barrels were empty and clean was to fit the remaining 2 pressure take-offs for the pressure lines (only one was connected before as a test).

Next I got to fixing the leak I had . . . .  I disconnected the pressure gauge lines and removed the plate from the wall . . . . .

I didn't want to remove the individual tap and base from the plate as it'd wreck the crackle paint finish and cause more work . . . . Unfortunately, repairing the leak meant using a blow torch which could also damage the paint . . and the gauges . . . and the pressure lines . . .

So, I turned the plate taps down, soaked a tea-towel in water and wrapped it around the tap in question, then shielded the pressure lines with tin foil.

The theory was the heat would be kept to a small area and the wet towel would stop the heat spreading through the plate and damaging everything else.

The plan worked and I cleaned up the solder fitting on the tap-base  . . . . .

To be sure (or as sure as I could be) that I'd fixed the leak, I part-filled my spare keg with water, connected the tap to a line on the tap on the plate, then emptied a CO2 bulb into the barrel to create some pressure.

An hour later and no sign of any seepage so fingers crossed . . .

I then had to touch-up some crackle paint in a tiny area on the side of the plate but it was an easy and invisible fix . . .

Re-fitted the plate to the wall and stopped for the night.

This morning I filled the 3 barrels with the next batches of the good stuff, loaded them onto the shelf and connected all three pressure lines and all three beer lines.

I'll leave the pressure to build naturally while we're on holiday then "live" test everything when we get back . . .

Roadkill

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 02:47:38 pm »
I think I can call this project officially finished.

All three vacuum lines appear to be holding pressure just fine, as is all three beer lines.  No signs of leaks and I pulled the first tasters from the 3 kegs over the weekend . . .

(video)

They need another week or two to clear fully but all three are nice.

There was one tweek I had to do . . . after noticing an air bubble in two of the lines I used some aluminium pipe and longer screws to space the brackets that held the pipe to create a gradual up-hill run, instead of a level-ish run . . thus eliminating air pockets.

Mission successful !

Think I'll have a beer . . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2014, 10:57:35 pm »
nicely engineered ...
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2014, 07:33:33 am »
Such a great project, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it all.

Quoting: art b
nicely engineered ...

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)