Author Topic: Noob Member With Hotrod Project  (Read 5425 times)

Roadkill

Noob Member With Hotrod Project
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2015, 11:14:29 pm »
Quoting: Ralph
Who else on here has a working vehicle?

Hmm.  Good question.  

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
Re: Noob Member With Hotrod Project
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:10 pm »
*hums imperial march theme tune*

WELL... "Nothing goes according to plan with projects" is perhaps the understatement of the year/century/millennium.

The chaps doing the body work, not only took 10+ months before they finally let us collect the body, but they haven't exactly done what they said they were going to. So, we now have the body back, it needs a lot of work, but at least we can start the build.

All of a sudden I found myself in a position where I needed to gather up some parts I had been storing away and get them to the workshop ready to mock up the body on the chassis.

So, out comes the manual gearbox & billet adaptor plate!

A little trip down to Insane Creations to fit it all and then sling it on to the rails and sit the body on it.

When hooking up the adaptor plate.. I was then enlightened to the fact I had in fact purchased the plate for a left hooker! WHOOPS! Starter motor holes are on different sides!

Fear not, when there is a will there is a way and the plate will get machined out to fit. The most important part being, the manual box is now attached for mock up!

Mere moments later this happened...

Followed by this...

And a final picture for good luck...

The plan is starting to take shape, the rear of the chassis will take a little stretch and this can be worked in when the rear notch is done. The front doesn't need stretching but we are going to drop the grille shell in front of the cross member to give us more room for the radiator and suspension. gives the overall look of the car a slightly longer nose but still looks right, well, in my opinion haha

The firewall will be cut and the engine set a little back inside, not too much only an inch or so. There is now tons of space in the cabin thanks to the manual box and where the gear lever naturally falls is a bang on driving position in the car! RESULT.

The body is a little too high on the rails in these pictures as there is a temporaty cross member holding the body up, the engine isn't on quite straight and leans too far back and the grille is on wonky. So all the parts are just propped up to try and get a feel for what it might look like.

It will likely be a little while before another update so feel free to relax and move back from the edge of your seat (this is a note to myself) and when the next exciting instalment happens I will be sure to post about it.

Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Roadkill

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:16 pm »
NOTHING happens as fast as we'd either, hope, like or expect when it comes to projects . . . . All we can do is embrace progress whenever it happens !

Looking good, though.  I will stay tentatively on my seat's edge for the time being.  :)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:04 pm »
Good to have an update! :cowboy:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 05:26:58 am »
Looking good though.  Slow progress is better than none.

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:16 am »
Yeah I'm pretty chuffed with it. Got a solid plan now and sticking to it for once!

Best bit(?) being that I now have so much money invested in it, I can stop looking on ebay for other cars to buy haha for me that brings some sanity back in to the mix... For now :p
Live Fast - Die Last

www.v8uk.co.uk

Ralph

• View Profile
    • V8UK
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
A quick little update...

This happened

And theeeeeen...

And theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...

And then and then and then and then...