Author Topic: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac - PROJECT THREAD  (Read 16530 times)

Roadkill

Re: Roadkill's 1958 Cadillac - PROJECT THREAD
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2016, 09:39:42 am »
As planned, I took a trip over to Stromberg's world H.Q (their modest - but very, very cool workshop) to get the 8 '97's and linkage to drive them all installed on the intake.

Clive was as polite and helpful as ever (was even entertaining Jensen) and we quickly got it all put together.

The first two pics are at Stromberg, just prior to finishing the linkage, the second two are showing some different views back home.

Now it's back to saving the pennies for the suspension before progressing much further . . . . I do intend to get the 8-port fuel block and hoses sorted but that's about all I can afford for now.  :can:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:43:57 am by Roadkill »

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:36 am »
That does look so cool !!!!

Roadkill

« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2016, 09:17:19 am »
I originally considered a custom fuel-block for the carbs . . . then thought I was making work for myself so I bought the only 8-port fuel block on the planet (it seems) from Speedway to deliver the fuel. 
It's good bit of kit, good quality and excellent price (about $35) . . . . but I'm not happy with it, so am back to making my own fuel block . . . . which'll be more like a fuel rail, complete with pressure gauge (the '97's are pretty sensitive).

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2016, 12:00:44 pm »
Have you looked at any of the distribution blocks made by nitrous manufacturers? There are plenty of 8way block out there.

Roadkill

« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2016, 01:38:41 pm »
Yes, I have, but they don't have the right look / lay-out.

I'm going for old skool - with cherry-red transparent fuel lines all lined-up in a row. 

Roadkill

« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2016, 02:56:14 pm »
I've now designed the fuel "rail" and am pretty excited about it.  I've ordered a couple of bits and bobs I need to make it work and will wait (im)patiently for them to arrive.

It'll consist of a 1" diameter ally tube, with a 1/4" NPT boss at the back for feed in, a 1/8" NPT boss at the front (for future-proofing), 9 x 1/8" NPT tapped holes to feed the eight carbs, leaving one which I'll mount a very low pressure (0-10psi) fuel gauge to. 
The carbs run at between 2.5 - 3psi so the plan is to have a gauge on the rail for ease of regulator adjustment (I'll have a second in the car but that'll be for reference as it'll be a standard 0-15psi jobbie).

The rail will mount to the (as yet undrilled) nitrous bosses on the intake.

Roadkill

« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2016, 08:35:34 am »
I now have all of the NPT fittings and bosses I need.  Also now got the 1/4" and 1/8" NPT taper taps I'll need.  I've got the 1950's style ruby fuel hose and my corbin-style hose clamps, too.

Just need to progress the "rail" itself . . . . .

On a side note I received the 8 x stainless "bug domes" for the carburetors from the states yesterday . . . at $15 each, they're a bargain but the price rapidly mounts when you need eight of them !!

I have some ideas on some "home-made" velocity stacks (as I'm now doubting I can keep the engine under the hood) but aren't planning on actually making these yet until I know how much space I've got under the hood . . . . I suspect I'll be able to fit the carbs under, but to get the air flow will need to punch through . . . . we'll see.

:chiny:

The Caddy herself is now out of the garage so will be doing a few miles over the summer . . . . :up:

PaulS

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:00 am »
Will be good to see it out and about.

Roadkill

« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2016, 09:46:44 am »
Not much of an update (work has stalled on the fuel rail as I've been working up north so haven't been able to get to the workshop) but I did get the monster manifold sat on top of the block (not installed).

Note the bug domes :cool:

I'm itching to get some velocity stacks made but shouldn't - not til I know clearances.

Still, it's nice to see it "together" . . . . Still got to decide on a colour . . . . . :chiny:

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2016, 10:53:41 am »
That looks so sweet with the carbs and domes on!

Roadkill

« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:45 am »
Been putting some miles on the old girl this month - Old Warden for the SuperNats and Sywell for Atomic . . . even took Jensen out for a short drive earlier in the month, too (his first in the Caddy).

She's behaved herself - generally - but did get hot coming back from Old Warden. 

I appear to have resolved a long-running water leak she had . . . I've also identified the source of the long-running brake fluid leak she has (but done nothing as it's manageable) . . . The last fluid leak she has is ATF . . . . which seems to be worse when she's hot . . meh . . I'll keep topping her up.
Oil level seems fairly stable.

I've not done anymore to the fuel set-up on the new motor . . . I've been busy doing various other things and the workshop is rammed (again).  I have now ordered the special low pressure fuel gauge from Vintage Speed in the states so will push on once that's arrived.

I've also ordered a set of vintage N.O.S key blanks as I only have one set for her and the ignition key is looking frail, to say the least.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I want her to "look" when she's done . . . . Part of me would love her all shiny, shiny . . . . this is a simple route as there's an obvious finish line . . . the other part of me loves the patina but this is difficult to know how to progress - especially with regards to the interior, which does need doing but how do you do it and immediately make it look old and worn ??

:pass:

Difficult.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:42:37 am by Roadkill »