Author Topic: Breakdown Cover Options?  (Read 1359 times)

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover Options?
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:11:57 pm »
I'm currently with the AA and it is due for renewal. They are using their usual tactic of sending through a renewal letter with a value that is higher than what new customers can get the same cover for, with the hope that I do not read it and allow the cover to simply continue.

So, before the usual call to the AA to complain and renegotiate, I am wondering what other options there are.

Preferably, I would like cover for myself to use on any car to be recovered to any place of my choice.

I have looked at The AA, RAC and Green Flag and they are all around the £100-120 mark.

Green Flag have an option for non-customers to use when they need it or ad-hoc which is £108 for roadside assistance and if it cannot be repaired, they will tow your car within 10 miles to a place of your choice.

Nice to have the option, if you do not need to use them, it's £108 saved, if you do, then you pay there and then. However, you would be in a very negative position if you need to use them more than once or you are more than 10 miles away from where you need to get to.

Are there any other options out there?

1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

Breakdown Cover Options?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »
I looked on Money Supermarket (IIRC) and loads came up but I've never heard of any of them !

I didn't go for any of them at the time as it was for European travel, particularly, and I'd already left it too late . . . I chanced it and was O.K . . .

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover Options?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
I'm with the AA from historic reason's and TBH the times i've needed recovery they've been brilliant, including transporting the various DayVan's i've had from somewhere ont eh M25 to MK so definately over the 10 miles lol

It's not cheap, but its the peace of mind it gives - got the full cover for me - doesn't matter what car i'm in.

Used to be with Greenflag, but they started to get funny with repeat uses and "odd" cars....

F Body

• Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover Options?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:02 am »
All my cars and bikes excluding the "T" are with Rescue My Car.com
Used them twice, with one bike and one car being recovered home in less than two hours, you won't find better for £38 a year

https://www.rescuemycar.com/Quote-Engine/Bd/

They declined to cover the "T" because it was more than 18 years old

Had to go with Adrian Fucks Classic car recovery, which will recover any distance, to anywhere of your choice for £78 a year, without any call out limits etc.

NB : Watch the small print, some won't recover if your less than 3 miles from home, exclude home start, or will charge you a hefty excess the more times you use them

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover Options?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:38 am »
Quoting: ianjpage
I'm with the AA from historic reason's and TBH the times i've needed recovery they've been brilliant, including transporting the various DayVan's i've had from somewhere ont eh M25 to MK so definately over the 10 miles lol

It's not cheap, but its the peace of mind it gives - got the full cover for me - doesn't matter what car i'm in.

Mmm, yeah out of GreenFlag, RAC and the AA, I would rather go with the AA as I have had bad experiences with the RAC and GreenFlag seem to be a smaller company but with the same premiums as the larger companies, so why would you go with Greenflag

Quoting: F Body
Used them twice, with one bike and one car being recovered home in less than two hours, you won't find better for £38 a year  

https://www.rescuemycar.com/Quote-Engine/Bd/

Interesting!

I just had a very quick look for the Cherokee and without really configuring the quote properly it came to £18.38

Another option is to include the breakdown cover with the insurance policy and as the insurance is also due for renewal at the end of the month, I think I will cancel the AA and get a quote with the insurance people.

If the quote is too much or the terms are not favourable, I will take another look at the other options.

Rob

• Filthy Ho
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover Options?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:15:23 pm »
Have a look at some of the cashback sites as most of them do offer money back for breakdown membership.

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
Breakdown Cover Options?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 04:04:09 pm »
Quoting: Rob
Have a look at some of the cashback sites as most of them do offer money back for breakdown membership.

Yah okay, I will do when I have spoken to the insurance to find out what they have to offer.