Author Topic: One for the machinists  (Read 1280 times)

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
One for the machinists
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:04:29 pm »
I'm in a dilemma, I need some chunky wheel spacers in order to be able to use the Corvette wheels I've got, but I can't measure what size I need as the suspension isn't on the car.

Rough guidance is 2in on the front and 2.5 on the rear, but it can vary.  I was willing to take a punt on those sizes, but cannot find 2.5 'off the shelf' and custom builds are 4x the price.

My question is, if I purchased 3" ones (see below), would it be possible to skim off the outer layers relatively easily, to get them to the thickness I need?

I'm guessing that the studs are press in, so would be removable (but I will check)

Andy

One for the machinists
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:35 pm »
If the studs are removeable and the bore is just a straight fit onto the hub boss, then yes. But I'd guess on the other face (of what is pictured) is a bored lip that fits over the hub boss. This will need to be machined in there too.

Roadkill

One for the machinists
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:29 pm »
Personally I wouldn't want to press out those studs .... I'd doubt the ally would take too kindly to having them removed and then pressed back in.

The relief at the back depends on whether they're hub-centric or not ... Most aren't .... Especially the cheaper ones.

You'd have to take the material off the front, too, as if you took it off the back you wouldn't have a safe amount of material to bolt them to the car's hubs.

Roadkill

One for the machinists
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »
Also, I wonder if they've been anodised ?

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
One for the machinists
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:32:07 pm »
Sorry Jamie but from our experts above it sounds like there's a reason the custom made ones are 4x the price...

[/ Bearer of bad news]
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
One for the machinists
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:20 am »
just cut em in half wiff n hacksaw....

Id imagine with the amount of stresses on those size adaptors , accelerating,braking and cornering ....
reducing the size of them is not a good idea,
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
One for the machinists
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »
I've thought it through too, and come to the conclusion that cutting them would be a bad idea.  They will have been drilled to the right depth for the studs on the car and the studs on the adapter, and cutting either side would reduce the amount of meat each one is using, leading to almost certain failure.  

I will have to keep looking.

I'm a step closer to being able to measure up properly now though.  I bought a used tyre in the size I need (£11 inc postage), so I can mount that on one of the wheels for trial fitting.  I can lay the springs in place on the the axle and measure those.  Front end is going to take a bit more work, as I will need to rebuild one corner. That said, the arms are still on the drivers side, so I only need to fit the spindle and brakes...