Author Topic: Project Coffee Table - FINISHED !!!  (Read 3992 times)

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Re: Project Coffee Table - FINISHED !!!
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 05:34:53 pm »
Calling time on this coffee table !

It's had 9 years in service, endured 1 dog, 1 baby, 100's of pints of beer and 1000's of cups of tea and coffee . . . but all good things come to an end.
As the lounge evolved over the years the table started to look out of place.
Oddly enough, Sammy loves the table, so, most likely a replacement will be built (time permitting) but to better suit the shape of the lounge.

I'll put the whole thing up for sale soon, if anyone's interested ?

its also had a lot of cheese,wine and drunks around it .... :up:
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2015, 05:39:55 pm »
and survived at least 2 Pre-Garage / Conservatory LAN-Fest weekends
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:46 pm »
I'm definitely interested if it'll fit, whats the diameter of the glass? and what sort of £ are you thinking of?

This is your Fault Dean... :)

(it'll fit BTW)

Roadkill

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »
Glass is 800mm diameter.

Tyre needs a good scrub, the central column may (or may not) need re-painting and the glass has a couple of scratches.

I think I put in just over £200, plus a load of favours at work.

The only thing of re-sale value (if scrapped) is the wheel and tyre which I could probably get around £70-75 for (£140-150 as I have a pair) . . obviously if one goes, I won't be able to sell the other one on its own.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 12:29:42 am »
Ok cool, 800mm is the same as my dining table which I used as a test-piece :)

Does £100 sound reasonable? a cool piece of bespoke furniture with a few minor bits of wear & tear, a fair scrap value and a tyre which I think you'd have to pay a small fee to dispose of (correctly :secure:) otherwise.  what do you think? would that include delivery as well if persuaded with a beer? :tongue:

I wouldn't be interested in the other unused wheel I'm afraid

Roadkill

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 10:06:41 am »
Does £100 sound reasonable?

Yes, it does.

and a tyre which I think you'd have to pay a small fee to dispose of

No, tyres are fee to dispose of, now at the local recycling centres.

what do you think? would that include delivery as well if persuaded with a beer?

Yes, can deliver, assuming I can lift it into the car.

I'll have a chat with Sammy as we'd not actually intended to get rid of it just yet (!) 

Better get thinking of a replacement !!

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 11:57:14 am »
Cool, I can help with lifting if required, might be worth taking the Glass off to move it :chiny:

there's no immediate rush as I have to sell that desk before there's the proper space for it.

Roadkill

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 11:34:06 pm »
She's now at her new home !

I expected to be emotionally distraught saying goodbye to it as it was my first attempt at furniture making but I think I handled it O.K . . no tears.  In fact I'm looking forward to getting stuck into her replacement.

Hope she serves you well, Ryan !  :up:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 01:07:38 am »
I'm very happy, table is settled and in place :cool: if you remember I asked you to make me one of these years ago but you never had time for a variety of entirely genuine reasons, now I have the original one instead. Happy Ryan :up:
Money Sent BTW. Cheers Dean.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:35:02 am by FUBAR »

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 06:18:34 pm »
Looks great :D

Roadkill

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 01:13:08 pm »
I am actually going to be building the "replacement" as a type of prototype for (potential) reproduction.

The one you have was a true one-off and I reckon to reproduce would need several changes to make it anywhere near cost effective . . . . the plan with the new one is to price up each part, cut some (unimportant) corners and create something that's cool but easily repeatable.

I reckon to make roughly what you've now got, sell it and make a reasonable profit you'd need to do 4 at a time and be asking £350-400 each for them . . . that does seem a lot.
On the other hand, the new one will be do-able on a 1-off-batch but be more like £650 (seems a lot but it'll be twice the size and far more intricate)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:15:11 pm by Roadkill »

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »
I reckon to make roughly what you've now got, sell it and make a reasonable profit you'd need to do 4 at a time and be asking £350-400 each for them . . . that does seem a lot.
On the other hand, the new one will be do-able on a 1-off-batch but be more like £650 (seems a lot but it'll be twice the size and far more intricate)

Great idea, but if you are selling them yourself, I think your selling price target needs to be £149 / £199 (I would prefer it without the tyre = cost saving), when you consider what an enthusiast would spend on furniture which reflects their hobby / what they spend on parts normally / target audience, sales area / reach etc.

However, if you removed yourself from the end-user sales and moved up the chain to wholesale, selling to a distributor, I think they could achieve the £399/499 mark. Someone spending that kind of money on furniture will want the after sales support and backup.

Another channel for you would be as 'added value' to another item. For example, I am sure a company like Snap-on would be very interested in a supply of those to give away as promotional items with their top range roller-cabs. ;)

For example, buy a £3k roller cab, get nothing, BUT, if you bought the £4k roller cab which is slightly bigger, you also get a hub-table / rim-table / rim-job - I haven't thought of a decent name yet, but you get the idea :lol:

All in my opinion of course! :cowboy:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:10:46 pm by Cunning Plan »
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

Roadkill

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 02:03:05 pm »
Yeah, I know what you're saying but I don't have time to pursue it aggressively . . . . The plan is to make what I want but do the cost exercise as I go.

The original was more build it, then look back in horror at what it actually cost !!!

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 02:54:34 pm »
Got it!

Either way, it's awesome!

I'll take 3!  :silly:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)