Author Topic: MKB BBQ Tank Repaint  (Read 1008 times)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
MKB BBQ Tank Repaint
« on: May 27, 2015, 10:43:43 am »
Having used the BBQ for the Bashfest at the start of May, it's clear that the BBQ needed a re-paint on the tank at the minimum as it's showing signs of surface rust.

As it was:

(Rear was by far the worst bit)

So, this weekend i started the process - got a couple of wire wheels (one on the drill and one on grinder) and gave the tank a good going over to remove all the rust on it and smooth things out a bit.

Once that was done i masked off the shiny bits and started giving it a few coats of Matt black VHT Enamel BBQ paint, so it currently looks like this:

It's had 3 / 4 coats now so has a good covering, typically i had to change paint manufacturer half way through the last coat, so it's a bit odd at the moment as although they were both matt black enamel bbq paint - they are different shades, so it'll probably get another 1 or 2 coats of the new, darker paint to have just 1 colour and then i'll fire it up to cure it and see what it looks like after that!!

(New album in the MKB BBQ Gallery -? http://bbq.mkb.cc/gallery)

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Re: MKB BBQ Tank Repaint
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:15 pm »
Looks sooo much better  :up:

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
Re: MKB BBQ Tank Repaint
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:11:30 pm »
Forgot to update this - ended up putting a few more coats on than expected but looks lots better for it:

also, now sporting a new set of nice think brake shoes: