Author Topic: Project "Wall-O-Matic"  (Read 5918 times)

Roadkill

Project "Wall-O-Matic"
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »
Picked up this little beauty at the Jukebox show last weekend . . .

It's a Seeburg Wallbox . . basically a remote for a Jukebox.

Didn't have an immediate plan for it but quickly found that you can connect it up to an iPod so that the buttons on the front select tunes from the iPod . . .

So, just an introduction -

These date from the mid-1950's so the glass is in incredible condition !

First job, really, is to give the main cover a good polish so off it came.

Going to do a bit of research and see if I can get it powered up to test the mechanism - then go from there.

:up:

art b

• Pro Pimp
    • View Profile
Re: Project "Wall-O-Matic"
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »
fabulous bit of history  :cool:
This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:48:26 pm »
:cool:

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:14:54 pm »
*Watching*

:pizzas:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
very cool

Roadkill

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:36:08 pm »
Took it all to pieces last night . . . Gave the front a quick polish but it'll need a bit more elbow grease . . .

Discovered I have two small broken springs that help the music listing sheets "flap" (these springs are about $2 each).

Also discovered 2 wires that had apparently been cut . . . the switches they'd been cut from appear to be the coin/credit switches . . . THe unit was designed to take 5c, 10c and 25c coins to play 1,2 and 6 plays respectively.

The two wires appear to be to the nickel and dime switches so I'm guessing this was done so the unit rejected the lower value coins and only played for quarters . . . makes sense - it's an easy way to adjust for inflation with minimal agro.

The coin mech appears O.K - just a little stiff.

This is all fairly irrelevant, though, as I need very little for its planned purpose.

There's a company that apparently allow you to install an iPod inside the unit and make selections using the original hardware (buttons) . . . the kit is $109 but I need to do a bit more reading before going further . . . .

http://www.cdadapter.com/download/wipod.pdf

From initial investigation, everything appears to be there . . . I do want to power it up to check the bulbs but we'll see . . .

Roadkill

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »

Interesting . . . seems I need a power supply (duh) but this guy has connected the iPod to a Bluetooth sender . . . . Does anyone know if a sound bar system would talk to one of these things ?  I'm guessing it would ???

Roadkill

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 07:15:53 pm »
iPod to a Bluetooth sender . . . . Does anyone know if a sound bar system would talk to one of these things ?  I'm guessing it would

Yeah should do. Some thing like this.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-TaoTronics-Portable-Wireless/dp/B00Q2EGQQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446663878&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter

Sound quality wont be the best and you might not be able to control it via the sound bar remote, unless you can find a transmitter with AVRCP. :chiny:

Roadkill

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 07:21:23 pm »
I understand very little of what you just said.  :P

Sound quality isn't critical . . . the original plan was just to have the thing as an ornament so to get it playing anything would be just awesome . . . I'm hoping I can rig it to play using the money slot (I'll have a jar of quarters on the side next to it)

EDIT ***

I've just began to enter the 21st century and have read an article about Sonos . . . . I'm guessing this set-up would speak to a Bluetooth transmitter actached to an old skool iPod O.K as well, yes ?

(Sonos sounds cool, BTW - music in every room - awesome).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:31:18 pm by Roadkill »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 08:01:44 pm »
I'm guessing this set-up would speak to a Bluetooth transmitter actached to an old skool iPod O.K as well, yes

Actually no, Sonos has no Bluetooth capabilities. 

(Sonos sounds cool, BTW - music in every room - awesome).

Tis freakin awesome!  I've now got 3x Play:1's a Play:3 and the Playbar..
I can have Teamrock playing over the whole house or any of my music (I've uploaded my entire collection to Google Play Music), or Katie can be listening to Radio 2 upstairs while I'm listening to something else downstairs.  The Playbar works seamlessly with the TV, even passes through the TV remote signals if your bar is blocking the sensor on the TV (like mine is).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:09:06 pm by Incursus »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 08:23:56 pm »
Sound quality isn't critical . . . the original plan was just to have the thing as an ornament so to get it playing anything would be just awesome .

I've got a Bluetooth wireless speaker somewhere, if you wanted to test something out.

Roadkill

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 09:16:42 pm »

WiFi only, then ?

Hmm.  Blows that idea, then.  There I was thinking I was catching up with things . . . think I'll stay put in the 1980's.  :P

I've got a Bluetooth wireless speaker somewhere, if you wanted to test something out.

Noted, ta.

I've had a response from the manufacturer who indeed ship to the U.K so that's a positive start !

Roadkill

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:11 pm »
O.K.

O.K.

Re. the Sonos . . . Layman's terms now . . . So if you want to use it via the router, you use a "bridge" (as it only has connections for that)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonos-ZoneBridge-BR100-Wireless-bridge/dp/B000X1TS54/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446672117&sr=1-2&keywords=sonos+bridge+black

But, am I understanding the "Connect" correctly ?  It looks like you can connect that straight to an existing source (Analog Audio R/L) but it also replaces the bridge as it can connect to the router as well ??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonos-CONNECT-Wireless-Hi-Fi-formerly/dp/B001G7PLTQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446672117&sr=1-5&keywords=sonos+bridge+black

??

Does that then mean you can play music via the Analog connections and from a wireless device (i.e. Old Skool and New Skool) ?, whereas the bridge is just New Skool ?
:pass:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:29:22 pm by Roadkill »

Roadkill

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:31:18 pm »
I'm glad I'm good at other things 'cos if my life depended on my knowledge of modern tech I'd be long dead by now   :lol:

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 09:36:14 pm »

WiFi only, then ?

Yeah pretty much, as I've mentioned Bluetooth isn't ideal for streaming high quality audio.  After a very quick bit of research I couldn't find a solution for streaming Jukebox (oldskool iPod) to Sonos that doesn't cost silly money. (Sonos CONNECT)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:45:23 pm by Incursus »

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 09:37:05 pm »
Dean,

you'll probably need something like this custom font  installed on your PC:
http://www.1001fonts.com/bohemian-typewriter-font.html

More here:
http://www.1001fonts.com/search.html?search=typewriter&page=1&items=10

for when you want to write new labels for the song pages.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:09 pm »
You only really need the bridge if you can't place a speaker near your existing router, John Lewis were giving them out for free when we bought our Playbar as you don't really need it anymore.   The CONNECT does connect your old skool stuff.. though a pricy option just to connect a iPod imho.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:49:01 pm by Incursus »

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:58:04 pm by FUBAR »
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 09:58:36 pm »
So the speakers can work together, without a bridge or connect as long as one of the speakers is near the router ?

I'm starting to get it . . . pity they're not battery powered to be truly wireless . . . I reckon a hefty Li-ion battery would last a while . . . :P

Ryan :

Cool, thanks.  Funnily enough, the actual typed cards that came out look really good (not typed-looking at all).

I've also found  this : http://www.1001fonts.com/flottflott-font.html#gallery

Which will work well in the display window next to the coins slot . . . my Unit proudly bares the name "Stan's" next to the "25c" note . . . I'm sure I can come up with something amusing . . . I was planning on compiling a spoof food menu for my diner booth with a separate spoof drinks menu for my bar table.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:02:09 pm by Roadkill »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 10:03:18 pm »
   The CONNECT does connect your old skool stuff.. though a pricy option just to connect a iPod imho.
probably cheaper to buy an iPod touch.. 😜

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 10:05:40 pm »
So the speakers can work together, without a bridge or connect as long as one of the speakers is near the router ?
Correct.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »

I'm starting to get it . . . pity they're not battery powered to be truly wireless . . . I reckon a hefty Li-ion battery would last a while . . . :P

Indeed.. The holy grail. 😁. Probably find an old Prius battery from somewhere... :rofl:

Roadkill

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2015, 10:18:21 pm »
probably cheaper to buy an iPod touch..

I don't think - ironically - that'd work with the adapter kit for the unit (!!!)

:(