Author Topic: Cadillac Home Entertainment Hub . . . .  (Read 2110 times)

Roadkill

Cadillac Home Entertainment Hub . . . .
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:21:41 am »
O.K, long-term MKB'ers will know that this project harks-back to 2006 when yours truly bought a rotten 1960 Humber and cut it up to use the back as a BBQ and the front as an entertainment centre.

Well, the front end never worked how I wanted and the project was scrapped (literally).  The back did serve as a storage device in the back garden for a bit but I didn't have the time to dedicate to it and it, too, was scrapped.

However, my hate of visible wires in the lounge has never gone away (merely subdued while I had a tidy wall-mount Blu-Ray player - now dead) . . . So, again, I'm stuck with the Sky+ box, Blu-Ray, Sub and other stuff all collectively chewing on my sanity.

The lounge is next on the list for re-decoration and a new T.V is also on the cards so now's a prime time to address where to put all the aforementioned crap.

Now I wasn't looking for this . . . . merely stumbled on it by accident.  My initial contact with the seller was good, but on asking some questions, he dismissed me saying he didn't need to drop the price and didn't need to sell . . . . Fair enough.

But it came up again.   And again. 

So I punted a silly-low offer - no more questions asked - and he accepted.

I picked it up on my travels, it fitted nicely in the Mondeo.  :)

And it now resides in my office while I ponder what (exactly) to do with it next . . . .

It has an existing frame but it's pretty crap (designed for wall mounting).  I'm currently thinking a new frame to floor-mount it and tie the bumper to.  Then sort out locating the top to the bottom (currently it just randomly sits on top).

It'd also like to reduce the depth by a good 6" but this mean cutting the bumper ends down so a serious decision.

All that said, I'm not thinking too much about it yet, as I've got other more pressing matters.

I'll have a think . . . .

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
Re: Cadillac Home Entertainment Hub . . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »
Looks good, and would go in your lounge nicely.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:37:43 pm »
O.K, long-term MKB'ers will know that this project harks-back to 2006 when yours truly bought a rotten 1960 Humber and cut it up to use the back as a BBQ and the front as an entertainment centre.

Ahh the good old days of road trips to pick up rusty and / or non-driveable cars. :up:

Roadkill

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:35 pm »
LOL, Yeah . . . Nothing beats the feeling of collecting a new project. 

Despite the fact it was pi$$ing down the whole time I was smiling from ear-to-ear bringing back the bike last year.   :)

Roadkill

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:26:23 am »
Been pondering this one . . . .I think I know what I'm going to do with it.

I need to "hang" the components on a box-section frame . . . realistically this is going to get mega-expensive for the workshop to do as it'll need to be fabricated in situ (to suit existing fixing points but still be removable afterwards).

In short, I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to buy a welder and start welding . . . . it's probably best to learn on something that's not going to have a lot of stress or structural demands put on it !!!!!

The plan is to reduce the depth of it (this will mean trimming the bumper as well as the sheet metal).

The chrome on the bumper is good, but far from perfect . . . . I'm thinking I'll repaint the sheet metal black, and have the bumper blasted and powder-coated silver/chrome . . . that way the colours will match the new coffee table and tie-it all in.

I'm planning on mounting the blu-ray player and Sky box inside so will need easy access . . . . I'm also planning on mounting speaker(s) behind the grille so am considering losing the thick, chunky grille and having a thinner, sheet metal item cut (which will significantly reduce sound distortion caused by sound passing though the grille.

At this stage I appreciate there will be some distortion.  No set-up is "perfect" . . mine will be less-so, but will make up for it in awesomeness.  :tongue:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:32:47 am by Roadkill »

Roadkill

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:23:57 pm »
The used head light buckets and rings showed up from the states today .... I managed to find four brand new H4 head lights in the U.K.

I don't plan to use the H4 bulbs but the lights I found have side lights built in (about 5W) so the plan is to wire these up ..... should be pretty subtle.

There's not much else to buy for it ... Just need to crack on with the frame work once I've cleared the garage.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:59 am »
Just need to crack on with the frame work once I've cleared the garage.

Welder is due to be delivered this Friday BTW.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:09 pm »
I fly out on holiday Friday morning.  :/

Only away for a week, though. 

Roadkill

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 08:43:23 am »
Although no work's been done on the unit itself, I started "enabling works" in the lounge to accommodate it.  :up:

Basically the wall it will sit against wasn't wide enough so has been made so. 

I'll post some pics - it'll make more sense . . . . :tongue:

Roadkill

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:23:35 pm »
Got the new TV, Blu Ray and now a Sonos wotsit.

Extended the wall under the stairs to suit, got all the wiring relocated inside the wall for the new set-up . . .

Where the wires/cables currently exit the wall will be hidden by the front of the Caddy (the Sky Box and Blu Ray will also be inside of the Caddy . . . Not sure if the Sonos sound bar will stay there or not yet.

Next job on this is obviously the front of the Caddy itself but that's a little way off yet.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 07:09:46 pm »
Looking good!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »
SONOS 4tehwin!1

Roadkill

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:54 pm »
Makes me laugh all the wall mounting brackets you see for sale for £50+++ ....

Sonos very kindly put keyhole slots in the back so brackets are simply not needed !

Weeds out the idiots though - I nearly bought one before thinking "Hmmm.  I wonder ..... "