Poll

Do you think that closing down the MKB website and forum, and replacing it with a Facebook Group is a good idea?

Yes, I feel that the MKB.cc forum should be locked and replaced by a Facebook Group
No, I'd like to keep the mkb.cc forum alive.

Author Topic: This may be a controversial suggestion...  (Read 6389 times)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
This may be a controversial suggestion...
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:06:34 pm »
:jerry:
I’d like to float an idea that I feel is going to split to room a little but is as follows:

Do you think that closing down the MKB website and forum, and replacing it with a Facebook Group is a good idea?

I’ve been thinking about this today and it has occurred to me that our home for nearly the last 10 years has probably had its day for a number of reasons, but I would like everyone who reads this to think about their responses and post to the Poll I have created to support this question.

What has triggered this was noticing that I posted a comment on Ian’s RC Car thread a week or so back and since then only 1 thing has been submitted, Dean’s response when he got back from holiday saying my comment was cool.

This is my opinion: :2cent: We haven’t had a new member join the forum in years, and its been even longer since one joined who still posts regularly, the MKB as an American Car Club is long dead, we haven’t had a club meet since 2010 (The last Pics I have) It has been valiantly survived by the friendships it kindled before and after our little spat with the AACI about fuelling a Pallet Bonfire all night!  How many of us call each other by our forum names in person anymore? None of us as far as I know.
I just feel that it’s served its purpose, and very well, but it may be about time to take the poor old thing on 1 last trip to Dignitas and do the right thing.  :lazy:
In addition when was the last time any of us went to the homepage before looking at the forum, I know I haven’t done this in years, for all I know it’s covered in humorous pictures of Donald Trump’s ill-fitting Toupee...

There are a few pros and cons to doing this, ones that I have thought of are below but please feel free to add to this list in your posts below.

Pros:
- We don’t have to pay for web-hosting anymore (even if its not expensive its still a pro)
- We all communicate via facebook these days anyway (which didn’t really exist when this was created) and it would make life easier.
- The group can be created private and serve the same purpose as our forum does right now, for this group of friends to talk to each other and plan events
- We would have the option of making it a wider group later if we saw fit
- These days the whole site misleads people, we’re not the club our website says we are.
- Facebook works well with our smart phones (which also didn’t really exist when this was created), the forum really doesn’t
- We can still keep the name & logo, to remember where it all started… *sniff*  :P
- The forum can be locked for new content, with a closing message, and allowed to die gracefully when the current hosting period expires.

Cons:
- Loss of the archive forum history (as it would no longer be online)
- A bit more of our lives would be ‘owned’ by Facebook
- Partial loss of a faded identity (Ryan’s opinion)
- Our epic smiley collection will die, only to be fondly remembered over a campfire and a few pints of homebrew :cheers:

Please all have a think, and respond with your comments, feelings and opinions below.
Poll is attached, current results are invisible until you’ve voted.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:13:52 pm by FUBAR »

It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Roadkill

Re: This may be a controversial suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:45 am »
we haven’t had a club meet since 2010

Actually in Feb 2011 (IIRC), after I busted in my knee.  I showed up in the Pimped-DeVille complete with full leg cast and crutches (Ian and Vicky were the only others who showed) and that's when I said I wouldn't do anymore (my feeling was that If I could've made it with a Yank in that condition - everyone else could've - if they'd wanted to).

That said -

I do agree generally with what you're saying (both pro's and con's). 

I - personally - try to keep my project threads up to date for reference purposes and to (hopefully) inspire others to work on their own projects and then, in turn, start and maintain their own threads. 
Clearly this hasn't worked out that well in recent months years.

The "regulars" have steadily decreased (I haven't seen Art or CP on here in a while) and the traffic is all but dead . . . . . It has felt that I've been single-handedly keeping the "Projects" section going (with little response).

My initial feeling is "F*ck it, let it die" . . . but I think the response to this thread (or lack thereof) will probably confirm this.  I'll hold fire voting at the mo.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:15:16 pm »
Generally agree with Ryan (as discussed at Jensen's party).  I'm thinking of a halfway house to start with, if even possible.  A Facebook based "homepage" somehow linking to the forum projects etc..to try and keep historical flow..?  Might be a big job to start with.. Dunno thinking as I type.. 😁

New project etc can be started up directly in FB? :pass:
Certainly easier to upload pics and organise events.

Other forums may have gone down a similar road...?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:19:39 pm by Incursus »

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:43:42 pm »
I can see where you're coming from, but i think a better solution is similar to what Chris suggested, as i'm sure i'm not the only whereby i cannot access facebook from a work PC whereas the forum i can, so if we went to JUST a FB Group then sorry but IMO that'd be then end,  as i get to check FB in the morning and then evenings during the week and there is always so much to wade through updates, status's etc that the MKB Page would probably get missed / forgotten.

I'll post further information when i'm back from hols, but what i'd suggest is:
change the homepage to be the forum (so all traffic goes to the forum, rather than website)
create an FB Group
Link the group and forum together.

So maybe a third option on the poll - FB Group & forum working together

That way nothing gets lost from the history of MKB posts, things an still be updated, but if wanted posts can be done direct on the FB group rather than the forum if people choose.

In terms of hosting costs, it'd be easy enough to move the site to my own hosting (as the forum takes up minimal space - the biggest space is the gallery!) and then just redirect the URL as needed

(FYI tap-a-talk is a way to get the forum working better on mobiles ryan)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:58:48 pm by ianjpage »

Titsy

• Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:10:13 pm »
It would be good if we could somehow save the history of the forum. I do look back on stuff and wish I was as good at documenting projects as Dean is, but alas If I get into a job I get to involved in what i'm doing and totally forget... I check the forum regularly but I to fail to contribute for the aforementioned reason. There is however something a little special about the forum compared to Facebook, mainly because Facebook is filled with tat and sharing bollocks where as there is some real content in the forum and new posts are always worth reading. Quality over quantity.... Would be sad to see it go, but it is fading away and I guess it is an inevitable result.

Roadkill

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 08:48:31 am »
I was thinking about this last night and came up with similar ideas . . .

1) The main page (mkb.cc) goes completely, including gallery (who still uses that ?) - with all content (except forum) and re-directs here.
2) We make ALL forum areas visible (for simplicity) gone is the need to hide anything anymore.
3) We delete (or move into "General") any generally unused forum sections (I'm thinking the whole "MKB members" section as that harks-back to the glory days and is irrelevant now - also "Spotted" - pretty pointless, now.
4) We merge other sub-forums . . . a lot in "Special Access" and "General MKB" is generally off-topic so we could bundle those together as "Off-Topic" . . . Projects (whether Car, Bike or Miscellaneous) should be near the top of the page as they tend to be replied to more so - this could simply be catagorised as "On Topic" (or something).   
The "General News and Announcements" section topics could probably move into "General" . . . "Official MKB News and Announcements" could probably just be deleted.
5) We need a reference back to the old days looking forward . . . I'd suggest a comment near the top of the page saying something like : "The MKB - No club, No meet, just Information, Banter and Advice" (that is basically what we are).
6) Delete any members who've not been on within a year and any that have signed up but not posted.
7) Re-set post counts to zero (is that do-able ??)

Roadkill

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:51:24 am »
I don't mind volunteering to sift-through the old threads in any sections set for deletion to make sure there's nothing of interest in there (I could delete fodder as I go) . . .

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:08:24 am »
Personally, I prefer forums to FB, but do recognise it has a place.

I agree with the suggestions of consolidating things down, but ultimately keeping this forum alive.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:05:23 pm »
I can see where you're coming from, but i think a better solution is similar to what Chris suggested, as i'm sure i'm not the only whereby i cannot access facebook from a work PC whereas the forum i can, so if we went to JUST a FB Group then sorry but IMO that'd be then end,  as i get to check FB in the morning and then evenings during the week and there is always so much to wade through updates, status's etc that the MKB Page would probably get missed / forgotten.

I'll post further information when i'm back from hols, but what i'd suggest is:
change the homepage to be the forum (so all traffic goes to the forum, rather than website)
create an FB Group
Link the group and forum together.

So maybe a third option on the poll - FB Group & forum working together

That way nothing gets lost from the history of MKB posts, things an still be updated, but if wanted posts can be done direct on the FB group rather than the forum if people choose.

In terms of hosting costs, it'd be easy enough to move the site to my own hosting (as the forum takes up minimal space - the biggest space is the gallery!) and then just redirect the URL as needed

OK seeing as this is moving on, and dean's posted most of what i was going to suggest anyhow :P ...

1) The main page (mkb.cc) goes completely, including gallery (who still uses that ?) - with all content (except forum) and re-directs here.

Yes was always the long term intention but nothing's ever been decided, but yes - remove everything other than the forum - if anyone wants to save pics from the gallery i'll keep a one time backup of the gallery for safety sake, but nothing else on the site really matters.

2) We make ALL forum areas visible (for simplicity) gone is the need to hide anything anymore.
Hmm, i suppose what we can do is turn on all the forum area's then give people the option to 'hide' area's they've no interest in as that way people can customise what they like (i'll look into what's involved in this when back from hols - don't think it too much)

3) We delete (or move into "General") any generally unused forum sections (I'm thinking the whole "MKB members" section as that harks-back to the glory days and is irrelevant now - also "Spotted" - pretty pointless, now.
Perhaps a better solution maybe to have an archive area, that's locked for posting completely and just move the unwanted sections into there, then it's kept for posterity and tidy.

4) We merge other sub-forums . . . a lot in "Special Access" and "General MKB" is generally off-topic so we could bundle those together as "Off-Topic" . . . Projects (whether Car, Bike or Miscellaneous) should be near the top of the page as they tend to be replied to more so - this could simply be catagorised as "On Topic" (or something).   
The "General News and Announcements" section topics could probably move into "General" . . . "Official MKB News and Announcements" could probably just be deleted.
Yeah i'd suggest a 'general' area first, then projects, then other stuff (RC / Bikes etc) then archive area, and agree that a number of them are similar, so merging (with a check over / sanity check first) does make sense.

5) We need a reference back to the old days looking forward . . . I'd suggest a comment near the top of the page saying something like : "The MKB - No club, No meet, just Information, Banter and Advice" (that is basically what we are).
Yup, can add that either to the 'ticker' text at the top, or a static wording under the logo / banner?

6) Delete any members who've not been on within a year and any that have signed up but not posted.

Not sure what we'd benefit from removing old members TBH, doesn't matter that they inactive / not logged in,  Post counts - yes we can do, but again, not sure any true reason to?

(Dean - for the mo, don't delete / move any topics as need to change a setting or two as currently that would not actually delete, plus there is an easier way for me via admin to do it en mass!)

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:51:20 pm »
i'm sure i'm not the only whereby i cannot access facebook from a work PC

I can't get on either the forum or Facebook from a work PC...but there's an app for that... 😉

Tap-a-talk fortehwin!1
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:01:37 pm by Incursus »

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:39 pm »

I'm not sure just reshuffling the forum around will change anything..
Or are you thinking this as well as an FB page?

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »
Actually in Feb 2011 (IIRC), after I busted in my knee.  I showed up in the Pimped-DeVille complete with full leg cast and crutches (Ian and Vicky were the only others who showed) and that's when I said I wouldn't do anymore (my feeling was that If I could've made it with a Yank in that condition - everyone else could've - if they'd wanted to).

Yup showed up to a couple when it was just me and the other Mustang Chris.  Pretty sure I "hosted" the last MKB meet at the Caldecotte. :pass:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:08:52 pm by Incursus »

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 09:09:47 pm »

Or are you thinking this as well as an FB page?

Yup i think having both FB page and Forum and working out the best way to link em might be sensible way forward

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 09:13:39 pm »
have created a hidden FB group to try working out the linking

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:42 pm »

Yup i think having both FB page and Forum and working out the best way to link em might be sensible way forward

:up:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 10:53:11 pm »
I like this, its a good discussion.  I'm in agreement as well with the slightly scaled back "not entirely killing it" approach that has been laid out above, I think that's a good compromise.

Roadkill

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 11:18:09 pm »

Not so much re-shuffle.  More merge sections / threads and also - especially - delete entire sections to streamline it (or archive).

Jamieg285

• Pimp
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mfatw.com/WD
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 11:15:03 am »
I like this, its a good discussion.

And it's doubled the weekly post count  :lol:

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 08:34:38 pm »
I read the MKB forum, but like Steve says I contribute little.  I think a combined forum & FB page a good idea.

a91_formula

• Trainee Ho
    • View Profile
    • http://american-thunder.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
I read the MKB forum, but like Steve says I contribute little.  I think a combined forum & FB page a good idea.

I also read the mkb forum and although not local to you guys read to keep an eye on any shows I don't know about and also to keep up with all your ongoing projects :)

I would be very upset to see yet another forum move to fb as I for one don't and will never use FB as I respect my privacy and don't want my life splattered across the world - but hey that's my choice i guess.

However the choice is yours and I respect whatever you decide - it would be yet another forum I won't be able to read - they're getting less and less :(
1998 Fiero GT (my toy)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (Hubbys new toy!)

http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk

PaulS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 07:11:02 am »

This.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 08:45:07 am »
OK, well it doesn't look too complex to be able to have forum posts / threads on the FB Page (it basically creates a link to the forum), and visa-versa the forum has now had a FB plugin added so you can add an FB topic into a post, so should be go to go.

In terms of the forum, i've had a looky at topics / areas and would suggest the following layout:
General MKB
 - Important Announcements
 - General Banter
 - MKB Social (rename MKB Social & Admin)
 - Projects
 - Polls
 - Forum Admin (renamed from MKB Admin & Merged with suggestions forum)

Other
 - RC
 - Motorbikes
 - Classifieds & Ebay
 - Computers
 - Competition Area (Poss rename Racing / Competition)
 - Jokes
 - Naughty Zone (Not sure if we want to keep this opt IN rather than out)

New Forum Information
 - Keep as is and move Questions area here

Spotted - keep / bin?
Food & Drink - keep / bin?
Music & Movies - keep / bin?
MKB Ladies - bin
Photography - bin
Power Tour - Bin

MKB Members - Merge into General

Thoughts????

Roadkill

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 10:23:38 am »
See comments below . . .

Spotted - BIN
Food & Drink - KEEP
Music & Movies - KEEP
MKB Ladies - BIN
Photography - KEEP (this is only a recent add but has more recent posts than others)
Power Tour - BIN

MKB Members - Merge into General AGREE

Jokes - BIN - No new posts in a year, or merge with general banter.
Naughty Zone - BIN, IMO.

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 12:04:33 pm »
Jokes - BIN - No new posts in a year, or merge with general banter.
Naughty Zone - BIN, IMO.

Sounds sensible.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 06:56:16 pm »
that seems reasonable, I'd also:

merge 'computers', 'food & drink' and 'music & movies' into General banter
Bin the competition zone (nobody here does any racing)