Author Topic: Ryan's IROC Thread  (Read 45684 times)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan's IROC Thread
« Reply #1000 on: July 08, 2015, 11:53:53 am »
I have checked them and they do seem BF Goodrich's in the right size, but at a smidge over £700 for a full set of 4 the Kumho's were a much better option being £400 less.

i'll just have to hunt around.
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 25, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »
Done a bit on the car today, I changed the electrical and vacuum brake release switches for the Cruise control system, but when testing the system is still non responsive so managed to remove the CC Module from the dash (which is a little tricky but easier than I thought once I'd worked out where the bolts were for the bracket)

Replacement Control module now ordered from Rockauto, should be here very quickly :cool:
Hopefully that works.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 28, 2015, 12:06:42 am »
Well, today (yesterday) was a great day for working on the car with Ian's help!

We got the stock Panhard bars removed and the stock trailing arms and sway bar removed to be replaced with Spohn tubular upgrades.  of course all of the mounting points were painted with POR-15 and all of the hard-to-reach areas once the suspension parts are reinstalled:

We also got the rebuild of the diff done, many years overdue (I know!) but this thing is in perfect condition, the Diff oil is at least 11 years old, having never been changed by either myself or Rocky during UK ownership to my knowledge, so its been in there since Wisconsin... despite that fact the oil was very dark, but overall the same consistency as the replacement 80w-90 oil + a full bottle of GM LSD additive as per Martyn's (and GM's) instructions (received a while ago) which it was replaced with which is good, No grittiness or bits in the oil at all.

I decided NOT to fit the T/A Performance Girdle cover because this would require me to remove the bearing caps from a 100% perfect working rear end in order to fit a "shiny thing" cover, I decided not to mess with something that isn't broken and just paint the cover black at some point when the rest of the axle gets painted.

The reason the Caps need removing is because when the Aussies make the bearing caps for these Borg-Warner 9-Bolt rears they just snap the castings off at the mouldings (see pic above) with a hammer or something which means there's not a flat surface for the girdle bolts to mate too.  Nicely done, lazy gits...

The new Spohn and BMR panhard bars and POR-15 painted sway bar with new Poly bushings and end-links were remounted (pics tomorrow)

Tomorrow will entail, fitting the Spohn Trailing arms because POR-15 had to dry today, and if my Rockauto order arrives fitting the new Cruise Control computer.

Other Car-related jobs to follow this week...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:23:27 am by FUBAR »

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 28, 2015, 01:00:46 am »
Oh and we found a cunning use of the Borla Dual exhaust for aiding with the sway bar painting (with a bit of electrical lighting circuit wire!):

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:03:38 am by FUBAR »

ianjpage

• Administrator
  • Trainee Gangsta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 28, 2015, 10:58:35 am »
Was a good days work, nice to see that the car is so pristine underneath still!!

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: September 29, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »
Just lined the floor of my shed with tiles like those :up:

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 29, 2015, 08:36:00 pm »
Some pics of the rear suspension job finished, the axle will be full painted over winter.
The front sway bar also still needs to be removed and its new Spohn end links and bushes fitted.

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 29, 2015, 08:42:52 pm »
I also did another job that often gets overlooked:

After 26-27 years all of the foam "seals" on the air ducting for the dash has perished and either disintegrated or turns to a solid sticky mass the second you touch it, so I ordered some (Frankly HUGE) sheets of self-adhesive 6mm and 12mm foam off of ebay to redo them:

Before:

After:

I also re-did the foams around the speaker grills and the windscreen vents:

and a bit to grip the centre vents as well so they don't point skyward all the time anymore:

(If anyone (nearby) wants any 6 or 12mm thick self-adhesive foam for a similar job or any other reason TBH let me know as I have loads left)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:12:52 pm by FUBAR »

Andy

« Reply #1008 on: October 04, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »
The reason the Caps need removing is because when the Aussies make the bearing caps for these Borg-Warner 9-Bolt rears they just snap the castings off at the mouldings (see pic above) with a hammer or something which means there's not a flat surface for the girdle bolts to mate too.  Nicely done, lazy gits...

Hmm, I wouldn't have been so worried about the surfaces being perfectly flat. The girdle bolts *should* have a piece on the end that takes up for any out of squareness that the caps have. Add to that, you really only want to be putting about 5-10ft lbs of forces through those bolts anyway.

The big advantage with the girdle covers is the increased amount of oil you can fit in the case, this all helps with the cooling effect.

Roadkill

« Reply #1009 on: October 06, 2015, 10:22:06 am »
Nice work !  Well done !

I did the same thing on my dashboard vents, too . . . albeit mine aren't used anymore . . .

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 25, 2016, 04:51:45 pm »
Looks like some good upgrades and maintenance. :thumbsup:

For my interest, how does the Anti-roll bar that runs parallel under the axle work?

In my mind, the axle is a ridged tube, that is already connected and is a massive ARB by design. Surely the ARB stays at the same angle as the axle and has no effect on the suspension? :confused:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 25, 2016, 07:07:07 pm »

Cunning Plan

• Mega Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 26, 2016, 09:37:28 am »
see:

Ah wait, I did not notice that your bar is angled forward to connect to the bottom arms, from the pictures, it looked like it was a straight ARB that connected only to the Axle!  :tongue: My bad! :crazy:
1968 VW T2 Bay Bus (currently being restored and upgraded)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (modern classic daily driver)

FUBAR

• Big Daddy Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 20, 2016, 05:02:06 pm »
Shiny Things alert!!
I've spent a little bit of Cash with UMI Performance recently :cool: having done some research with the various companies that do these bits I decided that this one was the best design.

Now this is done there are 3 more Handling improvement items left that I want to fit to the car:
1 - Subframe Connectors (need to speak to Richard about getting these fitted, its been 10 years nearly!!)
2 - Spohn Crossmember mounted torque arm.
3 - New poly bushes for the rest of the stock suspension pieces.

Incursus

• Blinged Up Pimp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 20, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »
:cool:

Jo

• Pro Ho
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 23, 2016, 03:14:45 pm »
Looking good.