How about an "MKB Lawn Mower Racer"

Started by ianjpage, August 30, 2006, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

Quoting: EDGE
you can do a shed load of work to those.. i'd be up for some serious roll centre lowering. If you can drop the theoretical roll centre below the C of G you can corner at RIDICULOUS rates....

Widen the track a little add some neg camber, now where is my welder

55starchief

no motor mods allowed other than removing the govenor and replacing the exhaust.

You can however change the gearing by altering the pulleys

Mind you i cant see how they can tel if you have moded by say a little port work

ianjpage

hmmmmm... that could be a great laugh... im in !!

sweeeet

ianjpage

Quoting: 55starchief
need to lower it and lighten aswell as rework the motor, need further investigation of the regs tommorrow

Yeah i may see how much the book is to get??

ianjpage

you can do a shed load of work to those.. i'd be up for some serious roll centre lowering. If you can drop the theoretical roll centre below the C of G you can corner at RIDICULOUS rates....

Ian... you got any more pics fella.....

EDGE

Hmm yaeh if ya lower it then flat out all the time hehehe

I will have tonight (and better quality as well!)

55starchief

Quoting: ianjpage

£3 matey from the website

ianjpage

Widen the track a little add some neg camber, now where is my welder

ianjpage

no motor mods allowed other than removing the govenor and replacing the exhaust.

You can however change the gearing by altering the pulleys

Mind you i cant see how they can tel if you have moded by say a little port work

Hmm im sure we could "discreetly" do some mods that couldn't be seen hehe

ianjpage

£3 matey from the website

Ahhh sold - i shall organise obtaining it!!

55starchief

yup like mill the head to get a little more compresion and maybe just polish the intake and exhaust ports

sixpack2639

Hey Ian, you can easily find out how fast that MTD will run in stock condition. Find the governer on the side of the engine, hook a piece of wire or string to it so you can pull it off while running wide open in 5th gear. Just don't hold it for more than about 30 seconds and hold on to yer hat!

Roadkill

I Think I'll pass on this one . . . . my Winter/Spring is looking busy enough as it is.

Jamieg285

yup like mill the head to get a little more compresion and maybe just polish the intake and exhaust ports

I wouldn't do any of that until you've been on the scene for a while and seen what goes on and who know's what they're looking for.  You may be suprised.

55starchief

Nevermind racing it lets drag it RWYB anyone

oh yeah http://www.ndrlma.com/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">http://www.ndrlma.com/

ianjpage

Quoting: sixpack2639
Hey Ian, you can easily find out how fast that MTD will run in stock condition. Find the governer on the side of the engine, hook a piece of wire or string to it so you can pull it off while running wide open in 5th gear. Just don't hold it for more than about 30 seconds and hold on to yer hat!

Hmmmm have to have a go at that then hehehehe

Quoting: Roadkill

I Think I'll pass on this one . . . . my Winter/Spring is looking busy enough as it is.

Yeah mine aint all that quiet but this aint no rush project, could do bits and pieces when ever able to get to barn ??

Quoting: Jamieg285
I wouldn't do any of that until you've been on the scene for a while and seen what goes on and who know's what they're looking for. You may be suprised.

A valid point - first thing then - get it running and see what its like without a governer hehe

Hmm a 10 sec drag tractor hehehe

55starchief

Hmm a 10 sec drag tractor hehehe

sounds like more fun especially as we would have no rules, i think i have seen go karts on the pod at RWYB days

ianjpage

sounds like more fun especially as we would have no rules, i think i have seen go karts on the pod at RWYB days

Well we need to decide which then - i thought proper mower racing as it seems to be cheaper and easier to do than RWYB stuff??

55starchief

Well we need to decide which then - i thought proper mower racing as it seems to be cheaper and easier to do than RWYB stuff??

That link to the drag racing thing in the states has a load of classes, just thinking its a little different especially if we could get the pod to let us run as an exhibition. Def more original and interesting. The pro mod stuff can have up to 3 engines and these things are covering the qtr mile in sub 20 seconds

FUBAR

Why do you want to drive a lawnmower down the strip... i'd say go with the normal mower racing, as Ian says its cheaper, don't touch the engine except whats in the rules and have a laugh. even if you only do it a couple of times it'd still be a giggle!
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

Incursus

Quoting: FUBAR
normal mower racing, as Ian says its cheaper, don't touch the engine except whats in the rules and have a laugh. even if you only do it a couple of times it'd still be a giggle!

Indeed, I watched a race on Vroom Vroom looked interesting.

seemed to be a reliabilty 12hr(i think) race rather than speed, though of course speed helps

I'll be busy with the duster for most of the winter and probably spring - depending on how many helping hands I have

55starchief

Why do you want to drive a lawnmower down the strip

Why not? i would race a food blender down the strip if i could fit a big enough motor

FUBAR

Quoting: Incursus

Yup, thats what i was thinking of too
It's the time that we kill that keeps us alive...

ianjpage

have a laugh. even if you only do it a couple of times it'd still be a giggle!

Exactly what i was aiming at bud!

ianjpage

Quoting: Incursus

Ahh yeah thats teh one - i knew id seen it somewhere just couldnt member where lol!!

ianjpage

That link to the drag racing thing in the states has a load of classes, just thinking its a little different especially if we could get the pod to let us run as an exhibition. Def more original and interesting. The pro mod stuff can have up to 3 engines and these things are covering the qtr mile in sub 20 seconds

Yeah fair enough but that would need to be a full size one i think to be able to do more with it...