Project Pure Pontiac 1977 Trans-Am Clone Racer

Started by 55starchief, October 15, 2006, 10:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55starchief

Damn took some digging but found the thread eventually. Well not much has been done due to lack of parts and funds but the car is still eating MIG wire so i guess we are making slow progress

F Body

Quoting: 55starchief
Well not much has been done due to lack of parts and funds but the car is still eating MIG wire so i guess we are making slow progress

Excuses , excuses

Exactly the reasons why I sold her and have never started a project car

55starchief

Nah im slowly getting back on track now, i hope to start welding agian this weekend and try to finish off the repairs.

55starchief

Well the welding is finished on the drivers side, repaired the outer rocker in 2 places plated the spring hanger inside and out and rebuilt the inside of the arch. This weekend we will turn the car around and finish the welding in the trunk and move onto the passenger side where i expect to find the same areas needing attention.

Other good news is the 665lbs of parts currently in the air on its way to heathrow, so should see those monday tuesday next week by the time they clear customs etc

Roadkill

art b

This forum needs, ''YOU'' posting,Not just reading ! :moon:

ianjpage

55starchief

Quoting: art b
so hows the budget then.....

Hasnt changed much from the earlier pages, havnt purchased anything else other than the roll cage which was $250 and the fiberglass fenders which were an ebay buy and a bargain at $165 the pair

Rob

the fiberglass fenders

Did you manage to speak to that Brian about said moulds yet....?

Roadkill

Hasnt changed much from the earlier pages, havnt purchased anything else other than the roll cage which was $250 and the fiberglass fenders which were an ebay buy and a bargain at $165 the pair

+ half a ton of mig wire.

55starchief

Quoting: Rob

Did you manage to speak to that Brian about said moulds yet....?

Not yet as i am seriously laking in funds mate

55starchief

Well we turned the transam around today so we can start work on the passenger side. And this is what we found

http://www.mkb.cc/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/IMG_0238.JPG\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">

55starchief

EDGE

u been welding with your good eye closed??

looks like good progress dude.... just the other side to do then a shed load of painting...

F Body

It all arrives tomorrow

I'm really really looking forward to seeing this car back on the road/track again

Do you remember those 1960's Ford Mustangs with a fake racing team name on them ?
How about a windscreen sticker with " Auto Barn of Death Racing "

Rob

Quoting: F Body
The Auto Barn of Death

If it makes it out alive, how about "DEATHPROOF"

F Body

Quoting: F Body
Do you remember those 1960's Ford Mustangs with a fake racing team name on them ?

On many of the Shelby team race cars was a rather unusual symbol. Pictured was a "mean looking rabbit on a chrome and yellow crest." (SAAC expert Rick Kopec's words) This crest was on Ken Miles GT 350 at Green Valley, TX, when it was raced for the first time. That was also the very first time a GT 350 was raced. Miles won by the way. It was on Parnelli Jones's King Cobra at the '64 LA Times Grand Prix and on four Indy 500 winners. That crest was on cars that won at LeMans, Sebring, Riverside, Laguna Seca and graced the side of the Shelby Trans-Am Mustangs during '67 & '68.

The story behind the fierce rabbit crest is another colorful chapter in Carroll Shelby's story. It seems a good friend of Carroll's, David Witts, an attorney from Dallas, purchased 200,000 acres of "desert wilderness and jagged mesa located in the SW part of Texas, near Big Bend National Park and the Mexican border." On the land was a ghost town named Terlingua. The story goes something like this. Long ago three different Indian tribes used this area for sending out raiding parties to the surrounding areas. The Indians called the area Tres Linguas or three languages. The American version came to be Ter9òÀuas. Today, Terlingua has a constant population of 9. During the boom time days of the quicksilver rush it reached 5,000 people.

Witt talked Shelby into buying a large section of the land from him. He said it was for tax reasons. The land was plentiful with mule deer, coyote, wolf & other game. Shelby took many of his compatriots hunting on the land. One warm afternoon on a hunting trip to Terlingua, Shelby came up with the "Terlingua Racing Team." Bill Needle, an renowned artist and Shelby friend, drew up the famous Terlingua Coat of Arms.
67sc4.JPG (8571 bytes) The press release, found in Shelby American Issue #44 of the SAAC news magazine, explains the significance of the crest, "The rabbit thrives in the Big Bend and being fast of foot was picked to dominate the design. He's holding up his right front foot to say "Hold the chili peppers in the chili." The sun is there 'cause it always is in the Big Bend Country. The feathers represent the three Indian tribes, Commanches, Apaches and Kiowa, that lived in the area and were responsible for the Terlingua name. 1860 was the year of the first known race. It was a horse-drawn wagon race over what is now referred to as the wetback expressway."

Shelby, Witt and some friend's actually set up a local government for Terlingua. All the council meetings were held at some bar or posh restaurant in Dallas. If you expressed interest in the project Witt, Honorary Mayor, made you a council member or dog catcher or commodore of the Terlingua Navy. Terlingua news always made the Dallas newspapers, probably thanks to a Dallas newspaper man who happened to be on the Terlingua City Council. The official Terlingua bird was a buzzard. There was no official city tree because there were no trees in Terlingua. When President Johnson declared war on poverty, the Terlingua City Council wrote to see where to go to surrender. But what put Terlingua on the Texas map was the 1967 CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International) Chili Cookoff.

I'm sure we can dream up a suitable logo and a BBQ cook off

55starchief

Quoting: Titsy

Quoting: EDGE
shed

See you on the strip, and here is something for you

http://www.mkb.cc/gallery/albums/Graeme/Trans%20Am/14-10-06_1527.jpg\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"nofollow\">

Roadkill

Oooooo Bench Racing . . can I join in huh, huh ?

EDGE

LOL

im not getting involved in trash talk....  although if someone is racing benches i'd have to watch too

EDGE

out of curiosity, you did read my whole post and not just the Tit's quote

Quoting: EDGE
looks like good progress dude.... just the other side to do then a shed load of painting...

Titsy

See you on the strip

I've already been there... I posted a 14.4s 1/4.... what's your time....

Oh what, you havn't got one...

EDGE